PDA

View Full Version : Computer Need a new game to play with somebody

JusticeZero
2016-06-05, 12:08 AM
I want to play multiplayer with my nephew, because he likes doing that.
He used to play Torchlight 2, but beat NG++ and no longer plays it. Currently he is playing Grim Dawn, and is deep in new game there. I tried it a bit, didn't care for character design there for some reason I can't put my finger on. Before, it was Titanquest. For whatever reason, his reaction to D3 was "meh". He also disliked Sacred 3, no idea why. But he definitely likes that genre of game more than a lot of others.

I like the multiplayer angle, that genre of games tends to be a bit fast and lacking in teamwork for my taste, but I can do it. I like theorycraft and a lot of character build flexibility.

Also, my specs are bleah. I'm using a Surface 3 with a smallish disk size. Win 10.

Looking for some suggestions for games that I can look into to suggest for some multiplayer time. Doesn't need to be bleeding edge, we seriously kicked around D2 until I noted that it has compatibility issues with Win 10. Any ideas?

factotum
2016-06-05, 01:54 AM
Sacred 2, maybe? (Avoid 3, it's garbage).

JusticeZero
2016-06-05, 02:12 AM
Sacred 2, maybe?When I looked at that game, there was a note that the multiplayer servers were offline and that only single player was available. So, that rules that game out.

Fri
2016-06-05, 02:16 AM
Magicka is super fun multiplayer.

JusticeZero
2016-06-05, 02:39 AM
I know my nephew. I'd prefer to avoid friendly fire if at all possible. :smallbiggrin:

Tentreto
2016-06-05, 06:37 AM
Risk of rain maybe, if you can get the multiplayer working?
Otherwise something like terraria is good, though these may not be quite the genre specifically.

Corlindale
2016-06-05, 07:12 AM
I'm going to recommend Path of Exile, as I've done before.

It's in his favourite genre. Its learning curve is a bit steeper than the other games he played, but once you get into it it can keep you entertained for a long, long time. It's also a perfect fit by your own standards:

I like theorycraft and a lot of character build flexibility

It's also completely free, so you can give it a try at no cost.

A word of warning: It can be pretty dark and gory, especially compared to Torchlight, so depending on his age this might be a concern.

Another good option might be good old Diablo 2. Its style is quite different from D3, so he might like it even if he doesn't like the sequel. There are also some interesting total conversion mods floating around for it, like MedianXL.

Never mind, missed your mention of it in the OP.

Triaxx
2016-06-05, 10:11 AM
The original Sacred can be played via Lan, or with one game hosting. Don't know of any compatibility issues, but I think it's available on Gog.

Alternately, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition should run just fine, and is a lot of fun. You can split a full party, pr just play with two characters.

Don't know how well your tablet will handle it, but the first Dungeon Siege is still awesome.

The Glyphstone
2016-06-05, 02:54 PM
Bit unconventional, but Orcs Must Die! 2 has a co-op mode and can be incredibly fun as a weird, quirky first-person tower defense/shooter game.

JusticeZero
2016-06-06, 06:22 PM
Another good option might be good old Diablo 2. Its style is quite different from D3, so he might like it even if he doesn't like the sequel. There are also some interesting total conversion mods floating around for it, like MedianXL.
Never mind, missed your mention of it in the OP.
No, that's OK. I just went back and checked; looks like they just released a patch, 1.14, which was basically "Win 10 and OSX compatibility, and a couple security things".
Edit: That said, I went back and tried to install it again on this computer, and the installer doesn't install at all. Phooey. (We used to play it looooong ago, and he hasn't come remotely close to beating it, given that he was like, in grade school.)

Psyren
2016-06-07, 05:45 PM
Wasn't the whole point of that recent Diablo 2 patch (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/16-years-later-blizzard-is-still-patching-diablo-ii/) to make it work with Windows 10?

And if your system specs are especially light, there's all kinds of low-power co-op games you can pick up to play with your nephew - like Spelunky, Battleblock Theater, Castle Crashers, Magicka, Don't Starve Together etc. Or just play Minecraft in survival mode.

JusticeZero
2016-06-09, 02:45 AM
I got the installer issue worked out, turns out the installer is picky where you run it. The game itself is more lenient. Works fine. Now I just get to grump about not being able to change the gender of the characters. :)

Dotafanatic
2016-06-09, 01:09 PM
Company of Heroes 2. I am here, waiting for you :) The best RTS of all time - ONLINE!