PDA

View Full Version : Name for a Metal Book

Maquise
2016-06-05, 02:19 AM
I was wondering what a good name for a type of book, which is printed by etching sheets of mithril foil and bound between adamantine plates, would be called. For my worldbuilding, I was thinking that mages would use this incredibly expensive, and rather heavy, form of publication for their most precious magical tomes. Since it is used by mages, I think it would have a latin-esque sound to it.

Cespenar
2016-06-05, 02:59 AM
In WH40K-like pseudo-latin:

Codex Aeternum
Magna Carta Magicus
Lexicanum Arcana Maximus

Regitnui
2016-06-05, 03:29 AM
Codex Ferrum
Codex Orichalcos
Thaumos Orichalcos

AMFV
2016-06-05, 03:41 AM
Silverleaf books.

Alent
2016-06-05, 03:56 AM
Since Mithril is a Sindarin word... Mithril Istadiw? If I haven't butchered the language too badly, that should mean "Learning letters". (from Ista- and Tew.)

Someone who knows the language better than I can probably correct the exact compound.

No-Kill Cleric
2016-06-05, 04:07 AM
Heres some relevant roots to piece together:
Abac- (slab)
Bibl- (book)
Calv/Calum - (trick)
Chrys- (gold)
Clav- (key)
Da/Dida - (learn)
Despot/Domin- (master)
Emul- (strive/emulate)
Eso- (within)
Fa/Fat - (speak)
Feder - (contract)
Ferr- (iron)
Fig/Fict- (create)
Flux - (flow)
Gno/Gnit - (know)
Gramm- (write)
Graph- (draw)
Hem- (blood)
Heli - (Sun)
Kine - (move)
Lepsi- (grab)
Luc- (light)
Lun - (moon)
Mania- (insanity)
Maxim- (greatest)
Ment- (mind)
Mne- (memory)
Morph - (create form)
Myth- (story)
Omin- (creepy)
Pan- (all)
Radi- (beam)
Sci- (know)
Sider- (iron)

You can just tie any of these together in a suiting way, depending on how magic "works" in your setting.

Gracht Grabmaw
2016-06-05, 06:31 AM
A necessarium.

The Latin root of necessary actually means some closer to "absolute" or "irrefutable". And you don't get any more closer to total unadulterated truth than records kept in perfect indestructible metal.

Slipperychicken
2016-06-05, 07:15 AM
Why not just store the books in sturdy fireproof and waterproof containers when they're not in use?

JoeJ
2016-06-05, 09:52 AM
Liber indissolubili (unbreakable book) or verum argentum libro (true silver book).

Hoosigander
2016-06-05, 10:05 AM
My Latin is a bit rusty, so anyone can feel free to correct me.

Specific Titles:
De Magicis Artibus: Concerning the Magic Arts
Liber Maleficiorum: Book of Evil Deeds (perhaps for a necromantic text)
Cantica et Maledicta Apolloni Tyanae: Incantations and Curses of Apollonius of Tyana

Suggestions for the whole category of metal books:
Libri Aeterni: Eternal Books
Libri De Magicis Artibus: Books on the Magic Arts
Scriptiones Cantatae: Enchanted Writings

Hoosigander
2016-06-05, 10:29 AM
Liber indissolubili (unbreakable book) or verum argentum libro (true silver book).

I don't want to be too pedantic, but I believe Libro is the dative/ablative of Liber and Verum and Argentum are both nominative forms. In addition Verum and Argentum are both nouns, not adjectives. So I think the more correct Latin would be Verus Argenteus Liber (Singular) or Veri Argenteī Libri (Plural.)

napoleon_in_rag
2016-06-05, 10:41 AM
I was wondering what a good name for a type of book, which is printed by etching sheets of mithril foil and bound between adamantine plates, would be called. For my worldbuilding, I was thinking that mages would use this incredibly expensive, and rather heavy, form of publication for their most precious magical tomes. Since it is used by mages, I think it would have a latin-esque sound to it.

If the goal is designing a book that will last forever, you would want to avoid having it built from two dissimilar metals. That would lead to Galvanic corrosion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_series

Of course, I have no idea what the Galvanic potential of Mithril or Adamantine is but if there is a major difference between the two, the book wouldn't last too long.

Make it out of one metal and it could potentially last forever. For an example, check out the 2000 year old Copper Scroll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_Scroll

Regitnui
2016-06-05, 11:02 AM
It could be named the "Adamant Tome", punning on adamant and adamantine.

JoeJ
2016-06-05, 12:24 PM
I don't want to be too pedantic, but I believe Libro is the dative/ablative of Liber and Verum and Argentum are both nominative forms. In addition Verum and Argentum are both nouns, not adjectives. So I think the more correct Latin would be Verus Argenteus Liber (Singular) or Veri Argenteī Libri (Plural.)

I have no idea if you're right or not. I just used Google Translate.

The Glyphstone
2016-06-05, 01:27 PM
Is this a unique specific book, or just a type of book? People have given lots of good names for individual tomes, but for the book-type as a whole, why not the ever-classic grimoire?

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-05, 01:57 PM
You should have multiple names for the book. Mages try to out-snooty each other by correcting each other's latin and trying to come up with even better names for such a wondrous and magnificent thing. And then some mundane servants just refer to it as something like 'Doorstop' when their masters aren't in earshot...

(This is what I do when I can't come up with a name, just get a reason for there to be multiple names and pick whichever one sticks with the players.)

Slipperychicken
2016-06-05, 02:46 PM
You should have multiple names for the book. Mages try to out-snooty each other by correcting each other's latin and trying to come up with even better names for such a wondrous and magnificent thing. And then some mundane servants just refer to it as something like 'Doorstop' when their masters aren't in earshot...

I'd be happy with laymen calling them spell-bricks, for their rectangular shape and prodigious weight.

Maquise
2016-06-05, 04:22 PM
Is this a unique specific book, or just a type of book? People have given lots of good names for individual tomes, but for the book-type as a whole, why not the ever-classic grimoire?

This refers to a type of book, that is printed and bound in the manner described.

I was thinking litho-something, based on lithography. The process of etching the metal sheets is similar, even if said sheets are not then used to ink prints.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-05, 04:33 PM
I was thinking litho-something, based on lithography. The process of etching the metal sheets is similar, even if said sheets are not then used to ink prints.

It could be an entirely false etymology. Plenty of words in English (and presumably others) are horrible mishmashes, mistranslations of older words. Some have blatantly false histories. I mean, take the word Heterosexual, that's greek and latin mashed together. Bonus points if mages get snooty or technical about the history of the word to sound important or if they just sweep that issue under the rug.

goto124
2016-06-06, 01:29 AM
I'd be happy with laymen calling them spell-bricks, for their rectangular shape and prodigious weight.

Snooty noble: 'You wouldn't like this book thrown at your head, then...'
Player: 'Wait, GM, you actually made a metal book?'

Joe the Rat
2016-06-06, 03:07 PM
What's the tech like? I hear big etched metal pages, I start thinking printing plates. These are the Masters, from which the eldest tomes are printed, and all others scribed and illuminated. The mithril does not stain from the inks, the adamant protects the plates, and the weight of it makes the impression.

Which is a surprise when you go to read "from the source," to find everything is backwards.

The Glyphstone
2016-06-06, 03:21 PM
Snooty noble: 'You wouldn't like this book thrown at your head, then...'
Player: 'Wait, GM, you actually made a metal book?'

In urban settings, 'throwing the book at them' becomes slang for getting a death sentence in court.

Cluedrew
2016-06-06, 03:53 PM
And then some mundane servants just refer to it as something like 'Doorstop' when their masters aren't in earshot...
I'd be happy with laymen calling them spell-bricks, for their rectangular shape and prodigious weight.Heavy Books popped into my head when I had a similar thought, although these are a little bit more colourful. I like random names with a story, so I'm going to add flats to the name. Not because they are flat no, but because of a servant who would barrow them from the library to flatten out crumpled scrolls and the like. Between their weight ant smooth exterior they are quite good at that.

Madbox
2016-06-06, 07:37 PM
The Headbangonomicon.

Wait, not THAT kind of metal?

goto124
2016-06-06, 08:23 PM
In urban settings, 'throwing the book at them' becomes slang for getting a death sentence in court.

Doesn't have to be an urban setting!

Makes the implications of GMs throwing books at players a lot more interesting :smallbiggrin:

GM: Yes, I did make a metal book. I'm sure you all know what happened to rules lawyers here.

AFS
2016-06-07, 05:38 PM
The Headbangonomicon.

Wait, not THAT kind of metal?

I wad thinking Kerrang! Looks like we were thinking about the same kind of metal.