PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my Fortress

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-06-28, 12:41 AM
In one of the campaigns I'm in, the DM dangled an extremely valuable treasure seemingly out of reach, and I've found a way to snatch it. (If you're wondering, it was a unique art piece, which we'd smashed before I had appraised it. Make Whole makes everything better, and the DM okayed it) It's worth 100-200k even after being broken/repaired, and I'm the only character who knows this (the rogue, who is quite greedy though he likes the rest of the group a lot). The catch is, I'm level 6, and I don't want to destroy the game with a huge boost to my wealth by level, and OOC I would like to get something that can benefit the other PCs.

So rather than get a Tome of +5 to Constitution (which wouldn't be as noticable as most other things, but still) I'm going to get a Daern's Instant Fortress: Instant Fortress
This metal cube is small, but when activated by speaking a command word it grows to form a tower 20 feet square and 30 feet high, with arrow slits on all sides and a crenellated battlement atop it. The metal walls extend 10 feet into the ground, rooting it to the spot and preventing it from being tipped over. The fortress has a small door that opens only at the command of the owner of the fortress—even knock spells can’t open the door.

The adamantine walls of instant fortress have 100 hit points and hardness 20. The fortress cannot be repaired except by a wish or a miracle, which restores 50 points of damage taken.

The fortress springs up in just 1 round, with the door facing the device’s owner. The door opens and closes instantly at his command. People and creatures nearby (except the owner) must be careful not to be caught by the fortress’s sudden growth. Anyone so caught takes 10d10 points of damage (Reflex DC 19 half).

The fortress is deactivated by speaking a command word (different from the one used to activate it). It cannot be deactivated unless it is empty.

Strong conjuration; CL 13th; Craft Wondrous Item, mage’s magnificent mansion; Price 55,000 gp. as a portable group base/home. That still doesn't cover all the money I'll be getting, though, so the DM said I could modify the fortress, giving the suggestion of several Bag of Holding costs to store everything inside (instead of requiring it to be empty).

So, with the 45k-145k left, what would you do to make this home-in-the-pocket better (both more secure, more livable, and cooler)? I've had the following ideas:

Bronze Griffon Figurine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bronzeGriffon) as a gargoyle-esque guardian when needed
Permanent Gust of Wind (set at a nice breeze) on one side to foil cloud spells
Continuous Nondetection or Permanent Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum to foil hostile divinations
Continuous Unseen Servant(s)
Levitation (or even Fly) on command for the entire fortress
Bags of Holding (their equivalent cost, actually) to hold everything inside

Non-magical ideas are of course welcome too (as are cheap ones, which I didn't really mention). The more fun and creative we can make this, the better.

Caewil
2007-06-28, 01:20 AM
Permanent heat metal to make a sauna?

asqwasqw
2007-06-28, 01:25 AM
I would like to say that it would be fun to use the mansion when your opponents are in front of you as a last ditch effort to survive. Imagine having a house fall on you...

Inside the bag of holding, I would suggest having extra equipment for traveling, such as feather tokens, in case you ever venture into the sea. Figurines to defend it would be nice, yes. Might I suggest having many bags of tricks, one for each player? You can sit inside your fortress flinging animals out through the arrow slits, as free defense.

Lucky
2007-06-28, 01:25 AM
Well you need a good supply of Everlasting Torches because you need light at night, and a bunch of torches on the walls as you walk up the spiral staircase is just so damn cool.

13_CBS
2007-06-28, 01:28 AM
I don't suppose there's a way to somehow make the fortress summon monsters via the spell series whenever an alarm spell is triggered...combined with a series of Force Wall generating spells, you can contain and destroy many sneaky thieves trying to invade your home.

Oh, don't forget about water and food supplies! A decanter of endless water plus something that generates food would be a good idea. Toilets/lavatories wouldn't be such a bad idea either (a specialized bag of holding, maybe?).

Lucky
2007-06-28, 01:33 AM
I don't suppose there's a way to somehow make the fortress summon monsters via the spell series whenever an alarm spell is triggered...combined with a series of Force Wall generating spells, you can contain and destroy many sneaky thieves trying to invade your home.
You could make a magic trap of Summon Monster (X).

Toilets/lavatories wouldn't be such a bad idea either (a specialized bag of holding, maybe?).Ring gates. :smallamused: One for a toilet, another one far, far away.

@V Quality idea, just don't get too close. :smalltongue:

thehothead
2007-06-28, 01:35 AM
Toilets/lavatories wouldn't be such a bad idea either (a specialized bag of holding, maybe?).

No, a bag of devouring... It's a decent use for a cursed item!

asqwasqw
2007-06-28, 01:38 AM
Bag of devouring:
It acts as a bag of holding type I, but each hour it has a 5% cumulative chance of swallowing the contents and then spitting the stuff out in some nonspace or on some other plane.

Would that mean that it swallows your ... your ... the stuff that comes out of the opposite end you eat with? I wonder if it has any taste buds...

thehothead
2007-06-28, 01:40 AM
Exactly. Best use for a cursed item (other then using one on someone else)

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-06-28, 01:42 AM
Good ideas so far! To touch on a few specific ones:

I doubt I'll need to trap it. Either the party will be inside, or it'll be in my pocket. Besides, that door is next to impossible to get past.

No, a bag of devouring... It's a decent use for a cursed item!
:smallbiggrin:

Permanent heat metal to make a sauna?
That does sound fun. After a long day dungeon-delving, find a good spot to put the fort, and hop in the sauna. :smallsmile:

asqwasqw
2007-06-28, 01:42 AM
Exactly. Best use for a cursed item (other then using one on someone else)

Hey, buddy! I have a gift for you! A bag of holding! Why don't you try it out? *your buddy gets devoured*

You could assasinate kings like that!

13_CBS
2007-06-28, 01:43 AM
I suppose for entertainment you could toss in a Programmed Image spell for virtual fun, perverted or otherwise.

Lucky
2007-06-28, 01:48 AM
Oh, and don't forget the permanent Unseen Servants.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-06-28, 01:51 AM
Oh, and don't forget the permanent Unseen Servants.
*Cough* OP *Cough* :smallwink:

I suppose for entertainment you could toss in a Programmed Image spell for virtual fun, perverted or otherwise.
Heh. I suppose since all the characters are guys, it couldn't get too bad. Wait...

Lucky
2007-06-28, 02:12 AM
*Cough* OP *Cough* :smallwink:
Well... it was such a long post... That and you put "Invisible Servant," totally threw me off. :smalltongue:

Oh, and some siege weaponry on the roof could be helpful for those siege wars you always get up in. :smalltongue:

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-06-28, 02:21 AM
Well... it was such a long post... That and you put "Invisible Servant," totally threw me off. :smalltongue:
It was such a long post, I knew I must've missed something. Fixed.

Oh, and some siege weaponry on the roof could be helpful for those siege wars you always get up in. :smalltongue:
I like the way you think, sir! :smalltongue:

"The wizard has a Wind Wall/Protection from Arrows up!"
"So? Fire!"

Iku Rex
2007-06-28, 03:29 AM
The adamantine walls of instant fortress have 100 hit points and hardness 20. The fortress cannot be repaired except by a wish or a miracle, which restores 50 points of damage taken.I would pay extra to make the fortress regenerate damage, or at least appear fully "healed" every time you summon it. A single barbarian with Power Attack and an adamantine weapon could do a real number on your glorious fortress. A series of hardening (SpC) spells to increase the hardness of the walls would also be helpful.

Edit: The Stronghold Builder's Guidebook has all sorts of expensive ways to enhance a fortress.

Fizban
2007-06-28, 03:40 AM
Fine, don't post my post.:smallmad:

Get the Stronghold Builders Guidebook. For 200k, you can easily get a flying house with enough space to live in. Do you realize how small the instant fortress is? I wouldn't want to live in one.

Stationary (or tied to building) magic items cost 1/4 the cost (assuming they aren't blatant cheese). The guidebook has prices for all sorts of healing/trapping/building buffing items already statted and priced, as well as costs for mobile buildings, and the actual mundane cost of rooms (furniture isn't exactly cheap ya know?).

Failing that, get a flying ship. The Kanto's Lament is pretty good, it has all kinds of goodies, but I can't remember if it was 200k or 400k. You could always hunt down the genie slaver wizard and gank him for it though.

Sir Giacomo
2007-06-28, 06:00 AM
What about combining the instant fortress with a rod of security (see below*) effect inside for your own unlimited range indoor park? You could also add some kind of "holo-deck" space with permanent mirage arcana (or x/day use of mirage arcana to create whatever you like).

Ah, the possibilities are endless...:smallcool:

- Giacomo

*From SRD
Security: This item creates a nondimensional space, a pocket paradise. There the rod’s possessor and as many as 199 other creatures can stay in complete safety for a period of time, up to 200 days divided by the number of creatures affected. All fractions are rounded down.
In this pocket paradise, creatures don’t age, and natural healing take place at twice the normal rate. Fresh water and food (fruits and vegetables only) are in abundance. The climate is comfortable for all creatures involved.
Activating the rod (a standard action) causes the wielder and all creatures touching the rod to be transported instantaneously to the paradise. Members of large groups can hold hands or otherwise maintain physical contact, allowing all connected creatures in a circle or a chain to be affected by the rod. Unwilling creatures get a DC 17 Will save to negate the effect. If such a creature succeeds on its save, other creatures beyond that point in a chain can still be affected by the rod.
When the rod’s effect expires or is dispelled, all the affected creatures instantly reappear in the location they occupied when the rod was activated. If something else occupies the space that a traveler would be returning to, then his body is displaced a sufficient distance to provide the space required for reentry. The rod’s possessor can dismiss the effect whenever he wishes before the maximum time period expires, but the rod can only be activated once per week.
Strong conjuuration; CL 20th; Craft Rod, gate; Price 61,000 gp.

EagleWiz
2007-06-28, 08:35 AM
No dont get the fortress.
Hire a bard, buy two lyres of building.
Build a fortress.

Then spend all the money.

Kami2awa
2007-06-28, 08:56 AM
Find some way to make it teleport on command, and get yourself a multicoloured scarf and wand of knock spells.

FireSpark
2007-06-28, 09:38 AM
No dont get the fortress.
Hire a bard, buy two lyres of building.
Build a fortress.

Why two lyres of building and only one bard?

And to the OP:
Nothing makes a fortress feel like home like the addition of a library. Yes they can get a little pricey, but when the party gets stuck or just needs to advance their understanding a little, you're all set. (Plus the group wizards and other book worms will simply *adore* you.)

Citizen Joe
2007-06-28, 09:57 AM
I saw nothing in the description of the fortress that states that stuff inside it when it is deactivated get stored in some other dimension. Nor do I see any mention of furnishings.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-06-28, 11:19 AM
I saw nothing in the description of the fortress that states that stuff inside it when it is deactivated get stored in some other dimension. Nor do I see any mention of furnishings.
Did you read my post? The DM is allowing me to pay the cost of multiple bags of holding to store any items inside in another dimension. I can add furnishings then, which will go into the storage space when the fortress is deactivated. The whole point of this exercise is to take the original description and enhance it.

That's what I'm trying to do with this. I could easily just buy 100-200k of magic items for my rogue, but I want to sink it all into the fortress.

I would pay extra to make the fortress regenerate damage, or at least appear fully "healed" every time you summon it. A single barbarian with Power Attack and an adamantine weapon could do a real number on your glorious fortress. A series of hardening (SpC) spells to increase the hardness of the walls would also be helpful.
Good point. I'm less worried about that barbarian you mentioned (clang clang clang goes his axe, thud thud thud go our arrows), but multiple spellcasters could hurt it pretty quickly. I wonder how much this upgrade would cost...

Find some way to make it teleport on command, and get yourself a multicoloured scarf and wand of knock spells.
If you had something special in mind, I'm not getting it.

Get the Stronghold Builders Guidebook. For 200k, you can easily get a flying house with enough space to live in. Do you realize how small the instant fortress is? I wouldn't want to live in one.

Stationary (or tied to building) magic items cost 1/4 the cost (assuming they aren't blatant cheese). The guidebook has prices for all sorts of healing/trapping/building buffing items already statted and priced, as well as costs for mobile buildings, and the actual mundane cost of rooms (furniture isn't exactly cheap ya know?).

Failing that, get a flying ship. The Kanto's Lament is pretty good, it has all kinds of goodies, but I can't remember if it was 200k or 400k. You could always hunt down the genie slaver wizard and gank him for it though.
I'd prefer not to buy any books for this (and I don't have the Builders Guidebook). But I'm glad to hear about the stationary cost of magic items. Also, the fortress doesn't sound that small. 30 ft high means three levels of 10ft high ceilings (or 4 levels of 7.5ft high ceilings), with 400ft of living space at each level.

What about combining the instant fortress with a rod of security (see below*) effect inside for your own unlimited range indoor park? You could also add some kind of "holo-deck" space with permanent mirage arcana (or x/day use of mirage arcana to create whatever you like).

Hmmm... that would be quite a few possibilities there...

Nothing makes a fortress feel like home like the addition of a library. Yes they can get a little pricey, but when the party gets stuck or just needs to advance their understanding a little, you're all set. (Plus the group wizards and other book worms will simply *adore* you.)
Good call!

bugsysservant
2007-06-28, 12:11 PM

Not a bad idea, but if I recall correctly you need at least a modifier of at least +40 to your awesome checks to qualify.

Weirdlet
2007-06-28, 12:24 PM
Doctor Who?

Hm- it's like Howl's Moving Castle, almost. Trophy hall? Still-room for brewing healing potions- or some sort of healing-shrine? Shrine or sanctified place in general for the clericy sorts?

Steelwraith
2007-06-28, 12:34 PM
Forget the fortress, houses, and flying ships... buy a title. Nothing better than having the rest of the party calling you M'Lord... :P

thehothead
2007-06-28, 12:37 PM
How exactly do you go about "buying" a title?

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-28, 01:22 PM
How exactly do you go about "buying" a title?

You give the king/ruler money for the title. 20K would prolly make you a duke.

thehothead
2007-06-28, 01:31 PM
Wouldn't that be more accurate as bribery?

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-28, 01:35 PM
Wouldn't that be more accurate as bribery?

No.

You can't bribe a king. :smallbiggrin:

Your giving him a donation in exchange for a title.

Fizban
2007-06-28, 02:19 PM
I'd prefer not to buy any books for this (and I don't have the Builders Guidebook). But I'm glad to hear about the stationary cost of magic items. Also, the fortress doesn't sound that small. 30 ft high means three levels of 10ft high ceilings (or 4 levels of 7.5ft high ceilings), with 400ft of living space at each level.

You have three rooms (it's best to keep things in increments of 5', so 10' ceilings) between four people. If you can fit each person into their own 10x20 room, then you have one 20x20 room left. That's one spare room that will have to be kitchen, bathroom, living area, armory, and everything else. I know that if I was an adventurer, I would want my own suite, or failing that at least an office or library or some type of room to myself. There's just not enough room for that in the instant fortress.

How about this: you tell me what stuff you would like in a mansion ideally, and I'll price it up for you with various magics and building materials. I can make suggestions if you give me your party's makeup.

bugsysservant
2007-06-28, 02:38 PM
Do any books give the price for creating demiplanes? If so, it might just be better to create one, have the fortress be built inside, and carry around the portal portable hole style. For 200K it should be possible, and would probably remove some of the space limitations of the fortress.

Zeful
2007-06-28, 03:51 PM
Do any books give the price for creating demiplanes? If so, it might just be better to create one, have the fortress be built inside, and carry around the portal portable hole style. For 200K it should be possible, and would probably remove some of the space limitations of the fortress.

There is the Genesis Spell it's ninth level and creates a demiplane. It's inside the astral plane but you still have a demiplane.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-06-29, 01:07 AM
You have three rooms (it's best to keep things in increments of 5', so 10' ceilings) between four people. If you can fit each person into their own 10x20 room, then you have one 20x20 room left. That's one spare room that will have to be kitchen, bathroom, living area, armory, and everything else. I know that if I was an adventurer, I would want my own suite, or failing that at least an office or library or some type of room to myself. There's just not enough room for that in the instant fortress.
Hmmm. I could probably ask the DM about spending cash to make the fortress bigger.

How about this: you tell me what stuff you would like in a mansion ideally, and I'll price it up for you with various magics and building materials. I can make suggestions if you give me your party's makeup.
The first part is why I made this thread--I need ideas for that.

The party is a rogue (me), a wizard, a fighter, a cleric, and a barbarian. We're not limited to core, we just decided to do a "classic" crawl.

However, I don't have the MIC either.

Forget the fortress, houses, and flying ships... buy a title. Nothing better than having the rest of the party calling you M'Lord... :P
Intriguing! I could use it for very fun roleplay (especially with this character) while not becoming relatively more powerful. I'll be running that one by the DM...

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-29, 10:59 AM
You could also be a smart rogue. Invest it all in various business venturers. Higher a wealth management specialist to watch it for you while you adventure.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-06-29, 07:26 PM
Oh, this rogue is smart. He's systematically stripping down every inch of every dungeon and selling it off.

However, with the revenues from adventuring treasure reclaimation likely to exceed any investments in other businesses, it would probably be smarter for him to invest in his own business (and survival during it).

Meanwhile, OOC the fort is supposed to be a fun way to not piss off the other players with a sudden unshared wealth jump.

Any other ideas for decking it out, anyone?

The Glyphstone
2007-06-29, 07:32 PM
I actually happen to have the SBG (lovely thing it is), and enjoy making forts/castles for no reason other than sheer boredom...if you want a real castle, and not just a pimped-out Daern's Instant Hoboshack, I'd be happy to stat one out according to specifications and cash supply...

thehothead
2007-06-29, 07:43 PM
And you could buy a portable portal to it that you can keep in your pocket too! And if this doesn't exist, you could just pay a wizard or 9 to invent it.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-06-30, 12:40 AM
And you could buy a portable portal to it that you can keep in your pocket too! And if this doesn't exist, you could just pay a wizard or 9 to invent it.

Permanency'd Teleportation Circle cast on a tablecloth?

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-30, 12:57 AM
You could go buy rooms within the castle for each character.

The wizard could have a library that, when he spends an hour in, may take 10 on any knowledge search, grants a competence to all knowledge checks, etc. There would also be a scrying mirror in there, as well as an alchemist's lab, etc.

The fighter could have a training room full of weapons and stuff. After spending an hour training with any weapon, he rearrange any or all of the weapon specific feats (like weapon focus, etc), like in the PHB2. There could also be something in there that creates 50 ammunition pieces/2 weapons once per day. They would be non-magic, non-masterwork, and would only last one hour after creation. They would mostly be used for arming all the self firing crossbows for defending your castle.

Maybe some magic stuff to fix his armor, shine his sword and so forth.

The cleric would get a chapel, of course, complete with something that fills with holy water every day, is Hallowed, etc.

Your room could be whatever you like. Maybe something that appraises items for you ( or gives you a massive bonus) a masterwork masterwork set of tools for really picking things apart, something that casts identify once/day. Books on gems, economics, disguises, social mores. A really big disguise kit.

Then there could be the "war room" where it's full of books, casts legend lore 1/week, scry 1/day, stocked with treasure maps, info on lost empires, and a variety of rare and interesting artifacts (the non-magic, art piece type) from lost civilizations. Maybe a large, world map type thing that shows major events on it within, say 100 miles of the fortress. Tornados, hurricanes, wars, famine, dragons, etc. Maybe prevailing weather conditions and who owns what. Foolable with magic, of course.

Don't forget a treasury, an armory, a siege weapon of somse sort (I recommend a ballista with a construct that automatically reloads it), a source of food, water, and ammunition. A decanter of endless air would also be good.

Fizban
2007-06-30, 01:02 AM
The first part is why I made this thread--I need ideas for that.

The party is a rogue (me), a wizard, a fighter, a cleric, and a barbarian. We're not limited to core, we just decided to do a "classic" crawl.

Okay then, I'll put something together with the assumption you can get the full 200,000. I'm not very quick at it, but I might have it done tonight, so stay tuned!

Edit: okaaay.... so flying is more expensive than I thought. Crawling isn't though...

Edit2: ya know, if the teleportation circle on a sheet would work, it wouldn't cost very much.

Edit3: okay, here's what I've got so far (all furniture is of high quality, good enough for any but the most opulent lords):

Each person gets their own 200 square foot room, and a 400 square foot room pertaining to their own interests (except the cleric, he's only got his bedroom so far). The wizard gets a library with a permanent read magic effect attached. The fighter and barbarian each get a combat training room, which could be adjacent and connected at your option, possibly with a sliding door/wall between them. The rogue gets a room full or assorted locks, traps, and other things a theify type would want to play with. There's one large washroom with a basin that never empties, and an additional corner privy to avoid crowding. For general use by all, there's an armory, general storage space, stable, kitchen, and common room. The building itself has wooden walls on the inside and slick masonry walls on the outside (DC 20 to climb).

This portion costs 56,300gp, not including doors, windows, and locks. We'll call it an even 58,000gp and assume high quality doors and shutters, with the best locks.

There are additional magic enhancements besides the basin and reading room:
The kitchen includes a cabinet that produces simple food when opened, at will, that spoils after 24 hours. Each bedroom includes an unobtrusive rope that leads to a space similar to that of a rope trick spell, providing an undetectable hiding space when needed (the rope can be pulled up as usual). Each bedroom and room other than the armory and training areas has its own permanent unseen servant, that answers to anyone in the room. And finally, the whole building can crawl across the ground at the rate of one mile per day.

This raises the cost to approximately 202,000gp, a little more than the goal price. Nearly half of this is the crawling ability, which was the cheapest mobility available. We could save about half the space by removing the training areas and smithy, stables, and armory, but this would leave little space other than the bedrooms and common room. It would however, greatly reduce the cost of mobility enhancements, possibly to the point where burrowing or flight is feasible.

Edit4: the above post has some good, classic and doable ideas, but the amount of space they would take up makes movement prohibitive. I'm assuming that mobility is a priority, otherwise I would have gone bigger.