PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5 Deadpool Build Help

karinrin55
2016-06-05, 02:26 PM
My sister really loves silly characters than might no be necessarily helpful for the team (a mad assassin rough with the deformity madness feat for example). She is my favorite person in the whole world and she really likes roleplaying these characters, but she doesn't really know how to build dnd characters so I'm handed the task of creating an in game Deadpool like character.

Main thing is wielding two katanas and doing so well, my thoughts went to a fighter/exotic weapon master/dervish kind of deal with over-sized two weapon fighting, the Twin Exotic Weapon Fighting stunt from EWM and multiple attacks and fast movement from dervish.

I don't really think this build is viable and told that to my sister, but nevertheless she still wants me to build it.

This is where you come in, I'm not great at optimizing so I wanted your help.

Please help me make this build as good as it can get.

P.S- No need to be immortal or have regeneration, we are playing with all the 3.5 source books and are level 15 with 90% of the character wealth. 30 point buy and up to a cumulative +8 on all Ability score magic items.

Thank you all in advanced :smallsmile:

ahenobarbi
2016-06-05, 02:46 PM
books and are level 15 with 90% of the character wealth. 30 point buy and up to a cumulative +8 on all Ability score magic items.

Thank you all in advanced :smallsmile:

What are other characters in the party?

theboss
2016-06-05, 03:12 PM
What are other characters in the party?

I'm in the group with her.
We are:
1). 15 levels Druid, Low opt.
2). 15 levels Psion who chose the Telepathy discipline (Our former DM who DM'ed for 8 years and decided he had enough for now).
3). 12 Fighter/2 ex-CoCL/1 Hexblade . (ME :smalltongue:)
4). 10 Fighter/5 Warforged Juggernaut. Our thread opener (Karinrin55).
5). 7 Rogue/3 Swashbuckler/5 Invisable Blade. (He comes form time to time. He skips alot of sessions, but still a nice person to play with).
6). 15 Shugenja. Low opt.. Wants to change to Deadpool...

That's pretty much it...

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-05, 04:35 PM
Hmm... how much refluffing can you handle? The Revenant Blade makes you better at wielding a double scimitar, which you could easily refluff as two katanas. The 5th-level capstone allows you to treat both ends of the weapon as two-handed weapons. This combines well with Power Attack and high strength. You need to be a Valenar elf, which are mounted 'barbarians', but there are worse things, as long as you pick the right kind of elf.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-05, 04:37 PM
Hmm... how much refluffing can you handle? The Revenant Blade makes you better at wielding a double scimitar, which you could easily refluff as two katanas.

It's Deadpool. Convince her that the character knows that's he's an RPG character, so he purposefully mimics a race (the elves) and glues together two katanas in order to be better at fighting.

Buddy76
2016-06-05, 06:49 PM
Here´s a build that´s not super optimized but should feel pretty Deadpool-y :

Human, vanilla
Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 10/Horizon Walker 1
Feats: Toughness, Troll Blooded, Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Daring Outlaw, Whatever

Troll Blooded is from Dragon 319 and gives the build minor regeneration (I know the OP said it wasn´t needed but it might be nice to have). Pick Desert as the terrain mastery for Horizon Walker and the character'll no longer be fatigued in sunlight (also, Wade doesn´t get tired in the comics because his muscles produce fewer fatigue toxins, so bonus flavor points there).

Bluff and Diplomacy are class skills for both Rogue and Swashbuckler, so your sister can put a few ranks in those and have the Merc's famous "mouth".

Pounce, acrobatic charge, evasion and a high tumble skill will grant her the highly mobile and acrobatic Deadpool fighting style, and sneak attack (as a 13 level rogue) will emulate his dirty tricks and cheap shots.

I'd play this build as rogue, using pounce and acrobatic charge to get into position and deal sneak attack damage, but if she ever finds herself in the thick of melee she'll be tougher than a regular rogue, with higher hit dice, higher BAB and regeneration.

As suggested above, I'd consider refflufing the katanas as something else, especially a light weapon as she would not only decrease the twf penalty but also benefit from weapon finesse and insightful strike. Races of the Wild has several elven blades that are curved and count as light weapons (she could take a look and decide which one is more katana like).

This build is very similar to the Rogue/4 Swashbuckler/5 Invisable Blade that you guys already have, so I don't know if that'd be a problem (even though that player doesn't show very often).

Hope this was of some help!

Jeff the Green
2016-06-05, 06:52 PM
Surely he has some Cancer Mage levels?

Cerefel
2016-06-05, 07:54 PM
There is the option of a Tiger Claw based Warblade to get an effective TWF style up and running (likely with some fighter and/or feat rogue levels to get oversized TWF and such if they really need to be full size katanas)

Warblade also makes some things more viable like getting Devoted Spirit or Shadow Hand maneuvers through feats without too much trouble.

Florian
2016-06-06, 04:50 AM
Funny coincidence. I´m just working a bit on a certain PF class guide and am stuck on a "Deadpool"-build myself.

For 3.5E, you´d have to convert some 3.0E stuff do it.
Race it troll-blooded human with LA bought off. Base classes are Swordsage 4/Ninja 2.
PrC involved are Master Samurai (2) (3.0), Ninja Spy (1+)(3.0 OA) and Shadowdancer (3.5)(4)

Soranar
2016-06-06, 08:37 PM
Humm, dual wielding katanas...

How about a Iaijutsu focus character?

I would go something like

Factotum 8/ Iaijutsu Master 5/ Drow Fighter 1/ Barbarian 1

Barbarian is a must to get pounce, you can also trade normal rage for whirling Frenzy which seems more appropriate for Deadpool though Ferocity would boost your DEX which is something you use a lot

Take Fighter 1 for the bonus feat and the bonus DEX to damage vs flatfooted opponents (+ the bonus to ini helps too)

Factotum will give you extra actions, it also lets you be a skillmonkey and progress Iaijutsu focus to qualify for Iaijutsu Master

Iaijutsu Master lets you add your CHA to every Iaijutsu focus die, that is a lot of damage so your CHA is arguably your most important stat after DEX. It also lets you use your DEX to hit with a katana, not a bad option in your case

FEATs: you must take improved initiative, weapon focus : katana and quick draw to qualify for Iaijutsu master, otherwise I woud recommend

TWF, Improved TWF, oversized TWF

-since you have weapon focus, the penalty for using a katana in your offhand is not so bad
-dualwielding is better when you focus on bonus damage, Iaijutsu focus provides that damage bonus
-there is no fluff reason to refuse Iaijutsu focus with your build

You get a good reason to focus on CHA (merc with a mouth ) and DEX (Deadpool is really agile)
Your Int is pretty important (Deadpool is insane, not stupid)
You are not super strong
You are not wise

STATS
you need 13 STR (don't bother with power attack, for this build it's not worth it)
DEX as high as possible after CHA (to hit, AC, ini, pretty useful)
CON not your worst stat but not your best
INT second only to DEX
WIS dump stat
CHA best stat (damage, initiative, iaijutsu focus rolls)

Combat:

Your initiative is your DEX (normal) + your CHA (Iaijutsu master) + your INT (factotum) + 2 (fighter dip) so you are likely to win which means you can catch your opponent flatfooted, charge them, pounce, and attack.

Since you have quick draw (and lube... because you're deadpool) you can attack a character with Iaijutsu focus on every attack. Each time just drop your weapon and draw another one. Technically it works with daggers which you can also throw which replaces your machine guns so if your opponent is our of your reach you can still attack them

So draw and throw daggers and finish your turn with a katana in your hand to get your defensive bonus

your damage (vs flatfooted opponents) is 1d10 + STR+ DEX+ xd6 damage + x times CHA

there are a number of skill tricks to make things flat footed, you qualify for all of them
you can use the spell grease (factotum) to make people flatfooted, you can also grant yourself an extra action to cast the spell before charging

if push comes to shove, you can always throw marbles on the ground (again, a very Deadpool thing to do)

you could dip marshal for an extra CHA to skills
you can dip exemplar to be able to take 10 on Iaijutsu focus and get a +4 competence bonus to it
you can also take Iron will+ hardened criminal to take 10 on Iaijutsu focus if you don't want to dip into exemplar

karinrin55
2016-06-07, 12:01 AM
Factotum 8/ Iaijutsu Master 5/ Drow Fighter 1/ Barbarian 1

Drow fighter?
I'm confused, does the character have to be a Drow Elf?
Will the build still work if it were a human fighter?

Barbarian is a must to get pounce, you can also trade normal rage for whirling Frenzy which seems more appropriate for Deadpool though Ferocity would boost your DEX which is something you use a lot

Wow wow wow, pounce?
Since when does a barbarian get pounce in 3.5e?
If so I have to tell the group's barbarian bear warrior, he'll be super thrilled. :smalltongue:

And I couldn't find that Ferocity thing you mentioned, can you divert me to the source book or magazine from which you took it?

Take Fighter 1 for the bonus feat and the bonus DEX to damage vs flatfooted opponents (+ the bonus to ini helps too)

So what exact feats do I have to take? Cause I don't recall any that give you bonus attack damage against flat footed opponents (other than having sneak attack as a rough).

your damage (vs flatfooted opponents) is 1d10 + STR+ DEX+ xd6 damage + x times CHA

How did I get DEX to damage?
The only PrC I know that gives that is Champion of Corellon, did I miss something?:smalleek:

Anyway thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it :smallbiggrin:

EDIT- One problem with this build, it requires to be lawful...
I don't think Deadpool is that lawful :smallfrown:

MisterKaws
2016-06-07, 12:14 AM
stuff

Ferocity is from a Cityscape Web Enhancement, and Lion Totem's Pounce is from Complete Champion.

Now, my suggestion would be to just stick with a plain TWF Warblade 10/Eternal Blade 5 with a focus in Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw, with some Iron Heart maneuvers to get IHS and IHE for the regeneration, plus some feats in Martial Study to get some of the Shadow Jaunt/stride/Blink goodies.

Soranar
2016-06-07, 11:11 AM
Sorry I assumed you knew about alternate class features, I'll try to clarify

Drow fighter?

Yes, grow fighter is the name of the alternate class feature in question though it doesn't require you to be a Drow. This dip adds your DEX to damage vs flatfooted opponents (within 30 ft) and gives you +2 to initiative

Wow wow wow, pounce?

again, this is an alternate class feature found in complete champion. You trade your +10 movement bonus for pounce

And I couldn't find that Ferocity thing you mentioned, can you divert me to the source book or magazine from which you took it?

ferocity is a web enhancement, if you just google it it should show up

So what exact feats do I have to take? Cause I don't recall any that give you bonus attack damage against flat footed opponents (other than having sneak attack as a rough).

again, fighter dip

The only PrC I know that gives that is Champion of Corellon, did I miss something?

You can also get DEX to damage from the shadow blade feat, otherwise I recommend you check person man's X to Y thread

Anyway thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it

np

One problem with this build, it requires to be lawful...
I don't think Deadpool is that lawful

yeah I assumed your DM would wave that problem, otherwise you would have to drop Iaijutsu master and go for something else.

theboss
2016-06-07, 11:40 AM
Sorry I assumed you knew about alternate class features, I'll try to clarify

Drow fighter?

Yes, grow fighter is the name of the alternate class feature in question though it doesn't require you to be a Drow. This dip adds your DEX to damage vs flatfooted opponents (within 30 ft) and gives you +2 to initiative

Wow wow wow, pounce?

again, this is an alternate class feature found in complete champion. You trade your +10 movement bonus for pounce

ferocity is a web enhancement, if you just google it it should show up

again, fighter dip

The only PrC I know that gives that is Champion of Corellon, did I miss something?

You can also get DEX to damage from the shadow blade feat, otherwise I recommend you check person man's X to Y thread

Anyway thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it

np

One problem with this build, it requires to be lawful...
I don't think Deadpool is that lawful

yeah I assumed your DM would wave that problem, otherwise you would have to drop Iaijutsu master and go for something else.

Great build, but a few things:
1. We don't play with the spirit classes - Pounce = Dire Charge = Epic feat. Further, I was the first in our group who found it, and all said the same (including the DM): "No".
I know you didn't knew that, but now you and the rest do.
2. Lawful class with Barbarian?
3.The player who wants to change Deadpool likes playing crazy characters as Karinrin55 mentioned, I don't think lawful alignment culifies for that.

Deadline
2016-06-07, 12:07 PM
If Lion Spirit Totem is off the table (please mention any other restrictions you are playing under as it will help avoid suggestions that you can't use), then you don't need the Barbarian level, and if Lawful is no good, you don't need Iaijutsu master. Is Tome of Battle allowed? If so, then swapping those levels for Warblade levels wouldn't be terrible.

theboss
2016-06-07, 12:22 PM
If Lion Spirit Totem is off the table (please mention any other restrictions you are playing under as it will help avoid suggestions that you can't use), then you don't need the Barbarian level, and if Lawful is no good, you don't need Iaijutsu master. Is Tome of Battle allowed? If so, then swapping those levels for Warblade levels wouldn't be terrible.

No restrictions at all, all is premitted... But when someone finds something cheesy (as Pounce in level 1 with no special requirements), there's a vote. Again, suggest anything you want - sorting the classes is our issue.
About the Barbarian level, it's not she doesn't need it. It can't be done as RAW.
Barbarian requirment:

Alignment Any nonlawful.

While Iaijutsu master is:

Alignment: Any Lawful
I didn't say Iaijutsu Master isn't good, I think the other way around. But Is that fit for a Deadpool character? (Lawful class)

Deadline
2016-06-07, 02:38 PM
No restrictions at all, all is premitted... But when someone finds something cheesy (as Pounce in level 1 with no special requirements), there's a vote.

Ah. Well Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian is just the easiest method of attaining Pounce, not the only method. Rhino's Rush spell, Psionic Lion's Charge power, or just mimicking it with a swift move power or ability like Travel Devotion, Anklet of Translocation, or the Hustle power and then just full attacking. But I'm not all that sure that it's needed here.

Again, suggest anything you want - sorting the classes is our issue.
About the Barbarian level, it's not she doesn't need it. It can't be done as RAW.

It totally can, because alignment change is a thing.

The issue is what class features stop working when the alignment changes. For a barbarian that changes from chaotic to lawful, that means no more progressing as a barbarian, and losing the ability to rage (which isn't relevant if you are only snagging it to get pounce, as that doesn't replace rage). I don't have Iaijutsu Master in front of me to know what it loses when changing from Lawful to Chaotic. Probably enough to not be worthwhile though.

That said, a lot of DM's turn their nose up at alignment shifts, so YMMV.

Again, if Tome of Battle is allowed, you could blend some Tiger Claw maneuvers with Devoted Spirit stances and mimic the acrobatic fighting style and rapid healing aspects of the character.

LordOfCain
2016-06-07, 06:01 PM
If you did want regeneration, Troll-Blooded (regional Greyhawk feat) could work. Limited regeneration (1/rd.) and weak to... fire and acid?