PDA

View Full Version : Name this Fighter Variant!

fikoantunes
2016-06-05, 06:25 PM
I need naming a "noble" version of the Thug (Fighter Variant from UA). It will be based on the Thug class features, but with diferences (Red = added; Gray = removed)

Class Skills (4 / level): Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nobility) and Sleight of Hand.
Proficiency: all simple and martial weapons; light armor all armors.
Bonus feats: lose 1st level bonus feats; gain Urban Tracking

The ideia is for a noble, highborn fighter variant; their extra skills (and the loss of a bonus feat) reflecting their background around well informed, noble people.

About the Thug variant, from UA:
The thug is a street fighter, a survivor who learns to mix brute force with a bit of craftiness. He has most of the fighter’s strengths, along with some additional skills to help keep him alive on the mean streets.

I would like the new variant to be like this:
The _______ is a a fighter who blends among the noble and regal, one who learns to mix brute force with a bit of highborn social skill. He has most of the fighter’s strengths, along with some additional skills reflecting this background.

What's the name of this variant?

Gildedragon
2016-06-05, 06:37 PM
This ought go in the homebrew section
Loss of bonus feat is bad.
BAB as a bonus to diplomacy would be perhaps too good but something along those lines. Or the Silver tongue feat
Coutier

Doc_Maynot
2016-06-05, 06:37 PM
Champion, maybe?

fikoantunes
2016-06-05, 07:18 PM
"Courtier" can be a good name.
"Champion" sounds nice! But it implies the class is "better" than the others, which is not, it's just a variant.

I though on "Noble" too.

"Sovereign", "Regal" or "Royal" is nice but face the same issue as "Champion".

P.S.: Losing 1 bonus feat is what happens to the Thug variant (the base for this one)

Doc_Maynot
2016-06-05, 07:21 PM
I meant as in "a person who fights or argues for a cause or on behalf of someone else."

Gildedragon
2016-06-05, 08:08 PM
"Courtier" can be a good name.
"Champion" sounds nice! But it implies the class is "better" than the others, which is not, it's just a variant.

I though on "Noble" too.

"Sovereign", "Regal" or "Royal" is nice but face the same issue as "Champion".

P.S.: Losing 1 bonus feat is what happens to the Thug variant (the base for this one)
But they get the urban tracking feat

Another name could be "Courtly Knight" or "Percival"

Doc_Maynot
2016-06-05, 08:19 PM
He is however, giving the class back the armour proficiency, that thug usually loses.

GnomishPride
2016-06-05, 08:23 PM
But they get the urban tracking feat

Another name could be "Courtly Knight" or "Percival"

I second the Courtly Knight.

Timble
2016-06-06, 01:32 AM
Cultured Bruiser?

Timble
2016-06-06, 01:35 AM
Or some variant along that line perhaps.

Kelvarius
2016-06-06, 12:09 PM
Esquire (A title of respect, above the rank of "Gentleman" and below "Knight")
Armiger (A person entitled to heraldic arms)

Fencer (Might give a false impression of what it does, though)
Noble Scion (Basic idea that differentiates it from the Noble NPC class)
Debonair (Worked for old school video games)

That's all I got.

TeeHee
2016-06-06, 02:04 PM
How about "Praetorian"?
"Lord"?
"Baron"?
Though those all have actual nobility titles associated with them which may not be cool with a DM

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-06, 02:21 PM
Definitely add the first-level bonus feat back in, or a subsitute. Urban Tracking is terrible, and no great loss, but this variant is still worse than a basic fighter (and warblade, which also gets Diplomacy in-class, and 4 skill points per level). I'd suggest adding a free minor aura at level 1 (replacing the bonus feat), and then an additional minor aura (to switch between) at 7, 13, and 19. That's probably just about better than a fighter, if still not great.

Waker
2016-06-06, 09:26 PM
How about Gendarme? It refers to police in several European countries at the moment, it also has some historical roots that are part of the reason I suggested it. It's original meaning meant "men-at-arms" and referred to noble cavalrymen. So you have a group of formerly noble soldiers performing police work (blending old and new). You have a Fighter with Knowledge (Local, Nobility) and Urban Tracking. Seems complimentary.

Nashira
2016-06-07, 03:35 AM
I like that armor proficiency is back, but"all armor" would imply exotic armor is included. If this is not what your want you'll want to edit that.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-06-07, 04:18 AM
I like esquire and gendarme, also champion kind of (the kings champion is not just the best fighter, it's a good fighter that the king also likes having around). I'd also consider sergeant (a knight servant) maybe, or just plain knight, no matter how many classes there are already going by that name.