PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Transmuter's Stone Question

JumboWheat01
2016-06-05, 08:54 PM
Drawing up a Gnomish Transmuter (if you don't know me and my penchant for drawing up several characters that may never get played, it's what I do,) I was looking at one of the abilities you can expend your Transmuter's Stone on is to Raise Dead.

I'll admit, my book is one of the first prints, no erratas in it at all. In the subject of using the Transmuter's Stone to cast Raise Dead, it mentions you don't need the spell in your spell book (which I don't think you even can while still reaching this level of Wizard,) and you don't need to use a spell slot. Do you, however, still need to provide the 500gp diamond when casting the spell? The class feature description mentions nothing about being able to cast it WITHOUT the diamond, so I'm asking here.

Naanomi
2016-06-05, 10:54 PM
Not clearly spelled out one way or another; I wouldn't require it (takes 8 hours to replace it and it is a high level ability). Besides they can make as much diamond with the stone as they want right?

JumboWheat01
2016-06-06, 08:00 AM
They could by consuming the stone, and then waiting eight hours to get it back, but would they know exactly how much diamond is 500gp worth? Spells can be picky. If it's not worth enough, then the spell would fizzle, and if it's worth more, you're wasting the resource.

Naanomi
2016-06-06, 08:14 AM
You are wasting 8 hours to make a stone, the cost of the diamond is pretty inconsequential by that level in most campaigns

JumboWheat01
2016-06-11, 07:45 AM
Well it seems like Jeremy Crawford (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/741458423246520320) says that the diamond is indeed required. So either carry a diamond that you would have for no other spell (that I can think of off the top of my head,) or make it on the spot and raise someone the next day.

Dalebert
2016-06-11, 02:20 PM
It's not a bad idea for everyone to carry their own diamonds for things like Revivify and Raise Dead and tell the party cleric where to find them on your person. People should mostly pay for their own anyway and it ensures that he'll have it if and when the time comes.