PDA

View Full Version : Incite Swarm?

Afgncaap5
2016-06-06, 12:30 AM
So, today a friend asked me if there was anything in D&D 3.5 or mainstream Pathfinder that would cause a collection of vermin or animals to just begin swarming if they weren't swarming already. I suggested Pipes of the Sewers, since it really requires rats to be close to you to begin with, but she was looking more for something like a spell or psychic power, and I couldn't come up with anything. Most options seem to be "conjure up a lot of beasties from who knows where" instead of "Make those beetles angry enough to fight!"

Thurbane
2016-06-06, 12:52 AM
Most abilities are based around Summoning a Swarm, rather than creating one from existing creatures. The Warlock gets an Invocation for this - Summon Swarm. You could easily re-fluff it as Incite Swarm...

Jack_Simth
2016-06-06, 01:40 AM
Vermin Lord, Book of Vile Darkness: The Capstone does this (and then some).

Afgncaap5
2016-06-06, 09:40 AM
Most abilities are based around Summoning a Swarm, rather than creating one from existing creatures. The Warlock gets an Invocation for this - Summon Swarm. You could easily re-fluff it as Incite Swarm...

Not quite what I was looking for, but you mentioning it made me think I remembered a Warlock invocation in Cityscape that called forth a lot of local pests, but it looks like I misremembered. I might've been mixing an offhand line about the Refuse Coccoon invocation with a swarm type made up of local animals. I'll poke around that book a bit more and see what I can see.

Vermin Lord, Book of Vile Darkness: The Capstone does this (and then some).

Ahh, nice catch! I always forget that book. Not the exact fit I was hoping for, but it's a whole lot closer than most other abilities I was finding.

The Viscount
2016-06-06, 07:11 PM
A 3rd level Master of Flies can charm vermin in an area, which could sort of get what you're going for.