PDA

View Full Version : The Ties that Bind IC

AlanBruce
2016-06-06, 03:36 AM
@Luke: It's been nearly a year since you have been in the port city of Bellaqua.

The pride of the Jade Empire boasts merchants and people from all over Oerth, which is not surprising-

Bellaqua is the biggest and most profitable port city in the Sea of Sands, with the Oljat Sea lapping at its marble piers.

To think that miles away, deep into the scorching dunes, the forces of the Lord of Fire and that treacherous Kazym have systematically been conquering all the tribes and smaller kingdoms.

The Fabled Seneschals of the Jade Empire, most of which lived in the City of Al 'akbarr have gone missing. Some say they were assassinated by their own fellow Seneschal.

The optimists say they have secluded themselves amidst the dunes and unforgiving cliffs of the Waste.

But now, all that remains of the royal family is Prince Ahmed, disguised as a merchant to avoid the Seneschal's spies in the city from finding him.

The Unrelenting Justice, lead by Gregory Martell have managed to attack small outposts, but this isn't a conflict that will be won by guerilla tactics.

The opposition is strong. Monstrously strong.

Giants, undead and other races from the desert have unified under this Lord of Fire and have sworn loyalty to him. Talk of dragons circling the Jade City have turned from myth to terrifying rumor.

It is only a mater of time before that warlord fixes his eyes on the port city and if he takes it... then given his nature, or what you have heard- the rest of the world will be his to take over.

And so, Julian and Aradia, two valued members of the Unrelenting Justice, leave for your home, Halmathan, City of Power and proud seat of the Dragon throne, where King Marcus Airdan and his ancestors have for generations watched the city grow from a handful of tribes to the bustling city it is today.

And it is because of Bandobras, the Continental Thief, a halfling of extraordinary and sorcerous powers over the wind, that you learn that things are not going too well over there.

The voyage takes months, but you finally dock at Rashema's Marina and can already tell things are not going well in the City of Power.

Garrisons of soldiers march through the streets. The people stand aside and lower their heads as these walk more like bullies and thugs than actual militia.

Gigantic objects chug black smoke hundreds of feet above the sky, like blots of metal breaking the beautiful spring sky.

And it doesn't take long to find out what's been going on in your absence.

King Marcus Airdan has been missing for months. some crusade of his to vanquish a mythical dragon north of the city, beyond its walls. In the Badlands.

He has not returned.

And in his stead, Grand Inquisitor Connor of the Cudgel has taken rightful place, proclaiming the king himself granted him steward powers during his absence.

This man is hated by most of the population in the city, averaging in the millions.

But when you have some of the most powerful churches and militia by your side, it's hard to have anyone act out against you. You have not seen this Connor fellow, but you don't need to:

his voice booms from those flying contraptions every day, announcing new stupid laws:

There shall be no flight of any kind within the City. Flight is a symbol of Anarchy. We as Halmathans must unite against those who would seek to undermine the values of our fair and glorious city.

Magic is the root of all evil. Never trust a mage. A dabbler of the dark arts. To practice such vile rituals is to proclaim dissent and an affront to the City! Magic is not to be used whatsoever!

I am aware that there has been complaints regarding the tax increase. The King's Campaign moves slowly, but with Wisdom. Trust those in office and follow the law, for we are not savages. We are Halmathans. and together, we shall unite and bring back our beloved sovereign!

The King's Campaign.

Word on the street is that this zealot has been overtaxing everyone to fund a 'Majestic Operation of Historical Proprotions'. Mainly, to gather enough funds to rescue the mssing king and bring him back to the throne where he belongs.

That was almost a year ago. No campaign has been launched yet. Those who have publicly complained, have found themselves sent quite fast to the Castello di Santa Noria, an old prison outside the city that, as far as you remember, was pretty much abandoned.

It now houses, according to those who dare whisper about this, over a thousand inmates.

Going back home was not a joyous reunion.

Your parents, wizards by trade and Runestone alumni, have not forgotten the circumstances of you leaving Halmathan in the first place.

And knowing your father, you would not have been invited in, had Dalpinian, Connor's protege, not approached you, always well protected by a phalanx of soldiers and smiles wryly as he combed his slick black hair and looked at you as he addressed your parents.

The Crawford family. One of the finest in Halmathan. We are aware that you have a son trained in both the arcane and martial disciplines. His Holiness would have use of your son in his elite infantry.

Enemies are everywhere, lord and lady. Wizards and sorcerers, weaving demonic pacts in dark basements, away from the ever watchful and sanctified Eyes of the City.

His Holiness' word is Law: Sign in your son to the Halmathan Royal Army. He will serve a grand purpose. And who knows: perhaps the City can turn a blind eye to those who have steered off the path His Holiness dictates and show a well known measure of compassion... even to those who would adhere to grimoires written in children's blood.

Think about it. Have a lawful and Blessed day....

You may not be in good terms with your parents. You did cheat and got expelled from Runestone, but they have been here longer than you and when the family carriage drops you off at the Academy, it is a long warm kiss from your mother on the forehead that may very well be the last you ever get from her.

Runestone... not very good memories from this place.

The gates open. Of course, you had to drop a pint of blood for the gates to recognize you.

Normally, this information would have been updated, but given the fascist air in the City, an expelled student is the least of their concerns.

The campus is green and endless, with the campus buildings to the left and the imposing Tower of Magi- the tallest building in Halmathan- to your right.

Several dozen mages of all kinds- bards, warlocks, duskblades, mages.

All have sought refuge here. In a strange twist, Connor is not bringing the tower down.

How could he? he may have military might, but you know what an entire school of wizards can do.

It's a Cold War in Spring.

And it's an elderly woman's voice that surprises you as the gate shuts behind you:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/images/npcportraits/portrait_iwd2_peony.png

"The Black Sheep of the Crawford siblings... or is it the other way around? Been gone for awhile, Luke. What brings you to Runestone? Last I checked... you cheated.""

Mistress Inana Roseveil, of Illusions. This gnome lady is said to be seen only when she wants to. Her mastery over magic is one of the reasons Johann decided to enroll in the first place.

But as secretive as she is, she is known for being good natured. A rebel at heart, so who knows if she looks upon Connor's Regime favorably.

Kevinho
2016-06-06, 06:15 AM
"I recognize this voice, this is mistress Roseveil, I'm a little ashamed, but we shall leave the past in the past. I came here to find my brother, have you seen him?" asks Luke.

Kevinho
2016-06-06, 02:58 PM
“So many things changed since the last time I've been in this city, and I'm afraid I can't stay here too long since Connor has sent his minions to recruit me to his squad of mindless puppets. I don't intend to be here for more than a couple of days, or maybe hours.” Luke looks around and see the Academy crowded, full of wizards, sorcerers and other spellcasters.

“Take a look at this place, it's a hideout from Connor's forces... Sorry for my harsh words and my hurriness, but I really can't stay here for too long, I just want to reach Johann and leave here as soon as possible.” says Luke.

After a brief pause, Luke retakes his breath and start talking again.

“I know that I left the Academy because I made mistakes, but I think there are more important things to worry about than that.” he says trying to misdirect the atention from this subject.

AlanBruce
2016-06-06, 07:53 PM
@Luke: Mistress Inana walks beside you as the students greet the gnome illusionist and this one walks with you inside the Tower of Magi, ascending the alabaster steps as the paintings of all the famous wizards to graduate from Runestone adorn the walls.

With one of them having your brother in it.

"Your brother could've been a Master Teacher here, Luke. He had the potential. Mastery over every school. Weakness over none...

But I cannot blame him for leaving the city. Connor has not made it easy upon any of us since his ascent to power.

The smart ones left.

The stubborn remain.

The brave are dead or taken away.

It is only a matter of time before he decides that Runestone is a threat to the City and then we will be forced to strike back... an idea I do not cherish at all.""

Mistress Inana stops at a great door marked with different colored gems around it and a single eye made of jewelry on the center and is about to knock when another female's voice interrupts the gnome.

I know it is you, Inana... and you bring a guest. Come in.

The gnome chuckles as the door opens by itself and both walk in to a circular room filled with mirrors of all sizes and big comfortable pillows etched with runes in silver thread.

Sitting opposite a round table covered in a dark blue cloth marked with astrological symbols, you see the Mistress of Divinations, Merla Lidenbrook:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IXTI6b-FJKk/USUwMVk8D6I/AAAAAAAAE2E/ITJLJguFi4I/s320/Picture+1.png

This halfling is said to be one of Runestone's finest Seers. Perhaps worldwide.

Mistress Lidenbrook is seldom seen outside her room, but is is said that she doesn't ned to:

Her students receive classes from her through divinations, in order to separate the strong from the weak minded.

The hooded teacher spreads out a set of Tarot cards on the table and gestures for both to sit on the pillows.

"Luke Crawford, how is the life of a swordsman going for you? I am sure you do not miss the scorching sands from the far south?""

Inana places her hands on the table and looks at the hooded Diviner.

"No time to show off, Merla! Luke is here to...""

Merla Lidenbrook picks up the cards and rearranges them, placing four on the table:

http://67.media.tumblr.com/24fabe6f652c9c0f07b48af1b2a27c0f/tumblr_mhawwyfaAQ1qfhoejo1_1280.jpg

"A wizard. A holy figure in peril. A ruler... but not really. A shadow? Hmmm... I have been trying to see where Johann is- last I divined upon him, he was far away, in lands beyond the sea.

Justcrown. Name sounds familiar?""

Inana scratches her chin and lowers her head.

"Yes! Johann mentioned a wizard friend of his from Justcrown... ack dammit, what is the name?""

Merla smiles and responds in her calm demeanor.

"Silas. Silas Spencer. Johann was there, with such a man... but not anymore.

He is beyond Justcrown. A forest.. and not a safe one. I see a House... a House that defies reality.""

Merla sits back and massages her temples as Inana raises an eyebrow.

"What do you mean? Who on Oerth has such power?""

"I never said it was someone from Oerth, my friend. Luke, if you want to help your brother, know that we cannot interfere- we are busy dealing with Connor's regime as it is, but take this,""

Merla digs beneath the many pillows and produces a dark grey pearl with swirling motes of energy within.

"Johann or any other who can divine magic should be able to tell what this can do. there are few left in Halmathan- Connor confiscated almost all...

almost.""

And having said that, the Mistress of Divinations picks up one of the cards and flicks it towards one of the many mirrors in her room as this one undulates like a pond, showing a dark and purple whirlpool.

"Inana, be a dear and guide our former student to his destination. I am afraid Shadow Walking is not my forte.""

The gnome gets up and holds your hand.

"Do not let go, Luke. I will take you to the end of this tunnel. The Shadow Plane can be a tricky place. See you soon, Merla.""

The mistress of Divinations lowers her hooded head and starts dealing cards again.

"Until we see again, my friends. Send my regards to your brother, Luke. And be careful..."

The tunnel is dark and dizzying as Inana runs with you into the unknown and then let's her hand off from yours.

Good luck, Luke! Send my regards to Johann! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479713-The-Eternal-Winter-IC&p=20862660#post20862660)

Kevinho
2016-06-06, 08:40 PM
Luke walks with Inana to the Tower of Magi

"My brother..." says Luke looking to Johann's painting. He gets closer to the painting and extend his hand toward it. As he hears what Inana says, Luke turns his face to her and get back to his posture.

"He left town? I must find him, do you know where he is? Or where he might be?" Luke sounds worried about Johann. Since Luke started his martial training, he thinks he's the one that must protect his brother, even though he is younger, and not the other way around. He idolizes his brother, he knows that Johann has the potential and the power to become the greates archmage from Hamalthan.

Following Inana to the room, Luke takes a moment to admire the room.

As Luke sees Merla, he stop talking and shuts. Merla creeps the pants off of him with her great divination power, maybe 'cause he always feared she might discover his little secret, when he was a stundent in Runestone Academy.

Luke listens very quiet everything they had to say, but before he leaves with Inana he says: "Do you mind if I cast a spell before I go? I couldn't cast a single spell since I steped in Hamalthan."

If they allow him to cast a spell, he'll cast Greater Magic Weapon on his Greathammer, making it +3

"Okay, ready to go." he takes Inana's hand and go into a trip, a really dizzying trip. His head spins a little and when he realizes, Inana let's his hand of and... brrrr, its cold in here, what's going on?