PDA

View Full Version : Board Games Galore!

themaque
2016-06-06, 02:32 PM
Now, like many of us here I LOVE RPG's. However, my schedule just doesn't really allow for it these days. I can't reliably make it to game every week so when I am finally able to return I'm behind in story, gear, and everything else. IF a group allows a "flighty" player in at all. I don't blame people for not wanting someone who won't be there for a month or three at a time.

So these days I really enjoy Board Games. I can get a taste of what I've been missing from an RPG or maybe even scratch an entirely different itch.

Space Opera
Tactical Warfare
Puzzle Solving
Social Backstabbing and intrigue.

How many others use this as a substitute for a long running game?
Who else just loves Board Games?
What Systems or styles do you love the most?

Wraith
2016-06-06, 03:06 PM
I have recently purchased Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower after playing the original Warhammer Quest and the new version being recommended to me from various places. It's a dungeon crawler board game with "House On Haunted Hill"-style random events and randomly generated map, but it also has tactical decisions to make and an ongoing plot that allows characters to 'level up' between games.

I enjoy it immensely, and as it also includes a campaign mode it also scratches that Role Playing itch I too get from not being able to find a stable group, so I really can't recommend it highly enough. The only downside is that, as a Games Workshop game, the playing pieces require considerable assembly and painting skills. I've been doing it for nearly 20 years and *I* found some of them to be complicated and awkward, so if you're a newbie I imagine it will be several days worth of concentration to get it into a playable state!

Fri
2016-06-07, 05:05 AM
Pssst.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?322238-Board-Games!

themaque
2016-06-07, 03:35 PM
Missued it. OOPS.