PDA

View Full Version : A hint about the next publish?

spartan_ah
2016-06-06, 04:58 PM
Saw this tweet from Chris Perkins
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/06/06/is-there-official-material-that-allows-me-to-play-catfolk/
Any idea what this is about?

Temperjoke
2016-06-06, 05:05 PM
Could be a monster race in the book coming out in November.

spartan_ah
2016-06-06, 05:08 PM
I thought they already said which races are gonna be there, and I don't remember cat folk there

EvanescentHero
2016-06-06, 05:17 PM
I thought they already said which races are gonna be there, and I don't remember cat folk there

They listed a few. It was by no means a complete or all-inclusive list.

MrStabby
2016-06-07, 09:22 AM
OK, interesting.

Also whats with all of these triple brackets I keep seeing around peoples names?

Belac93
2016-06-07, 02:18 PM
Seems like its hinting at either Volo's guide to monsters (hopefully and probably), or possibly a UA.

Regitnui
2016-06-07, 02:19 PM
It's entirely possible we get tabaxi (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabaxi) in the new book. They're FR monsters, after all.

EvanescentHero
2016-06-07, 02:30 PM
It's entirely possible we get tabaxi (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabaxi) in the new book. They're FR monsters, after all.

Ooh, that could be an interesting race to play.

Millstone85
2016-06-07, 05:31 PM
4e had "shifters", descendants of lycanthropes who are essentially stuck in an intermediary form.
Some were descended from weretigers. They might be the cat folks they are bringing back in 5e.

BrianDavion
2016-06-07, 05:34 PM
my guess would be Catfolk. they're as far as I can remember the only race from the old 3rd edition "races of...." series that have yet to be provided 5th edition stats.

JackPhoenix
2016-06-07, 06:46 PM
4e had "shifters", descendants of lycanthropes who are essentially stuck in an intermediary form.
Some were descended from weretigers. They might be the cat folks they are bringing back in 5e.

Shifters were from Eberron. They are already in UA article... I doubt we'll see them in FR book

BrianDavion
2016-06-07, 08:04 PM
Shifters were from Eberron. They are already in UA article... I doubt we'll see them in FR book

you're assuming this IS a FR book. in a issue or dragon or something a bit ago, Volo apparently wrote on Ravenloft, given they've ALSO brought back the wheel, and shown that Volo is planes hopping anything is possiable. that said I tend to agree. my gut feeling as I posted earlier is it'll be Catfolk. all the other "races of..." races have been brought into 5th edition.

Santra
2016-06-07, 08:47 PM
They could be doing another MtG crossover and give stats for Leonin or the tiger people.

Finback
2016-06-07, 10:01 PM
OK, interesting.

Also whats with all of these triple brackets I keep seeing around peoples names?

Wow, there's a story there. Short version - Neo-Nazis and racists started identifying Jewish people by putting triple brackets around their names. Of course, in retaliation, many Jewish people are saying "bring it", and adding it to their names as a source of pride. Likewise, many other people are doing it solely to mess up the whole idea of it - one tweet from a Muslim chap said, (((Saleem))) THIS IS GONNA BLOW THEIR MINDS. Basically, turning the tables on the idea of identifying folks in this way - skew the algorithm, everyone calling themself Spartacus, etc.

Finback
2016-06-07, 10:05 PM
They could be doing another MtG crossover and give stats for Leonin or the tiger people.

Perhaps a way around that is to make a standard catfolk model, and offer subraces - maybe a default +1 to CHA and DEX, and then a Leonin race with +1 STR, some sort of cheetah folk with a speed bonus, etc. Basically, Thundercats! :D

(I have a player who has been using a 3rd party khajit rule set, it's working well for her. I even showed her she could be a priestess of Bast. SOLD!)

Regitnui
2016-06-08, 01:59 AM
you're assuming this IS a FR book. in a issue or dragon or something a bit ago, Volo apparently wrote on Ravenloft, given they've ALSO brought back the wheel, and shown that Volo is planes hopping anything is possiable. that said I tend to agree. my gut feeling as I posted earlier is it'll be Catfolk. all the other "races of..." races have been brought into 5th edition.

Volo had to be transported to Ravenloft by one of the most experienced mages in the world. I doubt getting to Eberron would be that easy or reversible. Take the catfolk, name them tabaxi, give them a few subraces and bam! Done.

No tiger people in Magic. The Nacuatl were just leonin by a different name. As soon as they were told this, they went back to being leonin in-story and on-cards; nacuatl (sp?) became a leonin culture, like French for human.

spartan_ah
2016-06-08, 03:59 AM
the number of races with "+" to DEX is too damn high...

hope to see phaethons, althogh not holding my breath

Millstone85
2016-06-08, 05:44 AM
Shifters were from Eberron. They are already in UA article... I doubt we'll see them in FR bookIn 4e, they were in the PHB2. But point taken about UA.

MrStabby
2016-06-08, 06:50 PM
Wow, there's a story there. Short version - Neo-Nazis and racists started identifying Jewish people by putting triple brackets around their names. Of course, in retaliation, many Jewish people are saying "bring it", and adding it to their names as a source of pride. Likewise, many other people are doing it solely to mess up the whole idea of it - one tweet from a Muslim chap said, (((Saleem))) THIS IS GONNA BLOW THEIR MINDS. Basically, turning the tables on the idea of identifying folks in this way - skew the algorithm, everyone calling themself Spartacus, etc.

Wow. I obviously only spend time on the "nice" parts of the internet. I am feeling a bit sheltered now.

I am sure there is something in the rules about not discussing politics so I shan't share my views on the original users of the triple brackets (plus it would probably invoke Godwin's law).

Thanks for letting me know.

BrianDavion
2016-06-08, 10:28 PM
Volo had to be transported to Ravenloft by one of the most experienced mages in the world. I doubt getting to Eberron would be that easy or reversible. Take the catfolk, name them tabaxi, give them a few subraces and bam! Done.

or just call em catpeople and put a note that "in the realms these are called tabaxi"

Finback
2016-06-08, 10:33 PM
(plus it would probably invoke Godwin's law).

Technically, Godwin's Law is only about probability - that the longer a conversation goes, the more likely it hit That Topic. But yeah, the popular use of it is "you used it first, you lose!".

I mostly heard about it myself because of a blog I read discussing it.