PDA

View Full Version : Crafting as a Binder

Crake
2016-06-06, 10:08 PM
So the binder vestige Astaroth lets you count as having any item crafting feat of your choice, chosen at the time of binding, as long as the CL prerequisite of the feat is not higher than your binder level. It does not however let you overcome any other crafting prerequisites, meaning in a vaccum a binder is practically useless as a magic item crafter, requiring outside sources for spells and whatnot. What, if any, means can a binder use to alleviate this?

Pyromancer999
2016-06-06, 10:11 PM
Could always dip Artificer, which gets you a caster level for item-building, and also lets you craft items with spell prerequisites you don't know. Would need a way to advance your effective caster level, though.

Val666
2016-06-06, 10:11 PM
Easy answers to this problem:

Have a caster party member

Easiest: Join a gestalt game and be Binder/Caster or Binder/Warlock :v

Gildedragon
2016-06-06, 10:44 PM
Iirc one can use SLAs to meet item crafting prereqs...

Thurbane
2016-06-06, 10:45 PM
Anima Mage? Not really the solution OP is looking for, but it works.

WhamBamSam
2016-06-06, 10:50 PM
Zceryll summons can get you access to some spells. You can also get a few powers from psionic vestiges which are usable for crafting (though I'm not sure they're good for all that much on their own).

Crake
2016-06-06, 11:11 PM
Zceryll summons can get you access to some spells. You can also get a few powers from psionic vestiges which are usable for crafting (though I'm not sure they're good for all that much on their own).

Does Zceryll work? I was under the impression those participating in the crafting process (which includes people contributing by means of spell prerequisites) had to be present for the whole 8 hours of crafting each day. I didn't think you could just pop in, discharge your spell, and then leave?

daremetoidareyo
2016-06-07, 12:59 AM
Chameleon dip? Then anima mage?

digiman619
2016-06-07, 01:12 AM
You could back-port Pathfinder's magic item creation rules; those didn't require Caster Levels in and of themselves.

Troacctid
2016-06-07, 01:24 AM
Does Zceryll work? I was under the impression those participating in the crafting process (which includes people contributing by means of spell prerequisites) had to be present for the whole 8 hours of crafting each day. I didn't think you could just pop in, discharge your spell, and then leave?
Unlike a summon monster spell, Zceryll's summons are instantaneous and will not time out after 1 round/level. As such, the creature can easily stay through the entire crafting process.

Crake
2016-06-07, 04:25 AM
Unlike a summon monster spell, Zceryll's summons are instantaneous and will not time out after 1 round/level. As such, the creature can easily stay through the entire crafting process.

Now I hope you'll forgive me for saying you're leaving me feeling dubious about that, the very nature of a summon precludes it being instantaneous, permanent perhaps, but not instantaneous. But honestly, even the most liberal reading of the ability would treat it as the summon ability from the monster manual, which is still only 1 hour long, though I think still incredibly far from what's intended, because on a 5 round cooldown, and no mention of only being able to have one summon at a time, it would mean you could just flood the game with summons every 30 seconds.

WhamBamSam
2016-06-07, 09:44 AM
Does Zceryll work? I was under the impression those participating in the crafting process (which includes people contributing by means of spell prerequisites) had to be present for the whole 8 hours of crafting each day. I didn't think you could just pop in, discharge your spell, and then leave?I don't see any reason in the crafting rules why they shouldn't just be able to discharge the spell and leave, but even at normal summoning duration, it's still at-will, so you can just conjure up another of whatever creature you need every minute or so if need be.