PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spirit Warrior Class

Aeturo
2016-06-07, 01:54 AM
A bit of warning, this is my first homebrew so I'm looking for all the help I can get on it. I was inspired by an incomplete class on dandwiki, which I can't link to since this is my second post, and I kept the name and variations of the abilities since I believe a few of them fit with what I wanted to portray. I could also use help writing up fluff, I'm trying to capture a warrior who uses the spirits of adventurers who came before him to aid him in his exploits. So without further ado: The Class. I apologize for formatting issues, I'm still learning

Spirit Warrior
A spirit warrior focuses the spirits of ancient warriors to fuel their abilities. They hold great respect for the warriors of the past and wish to become as great as some of them were by using their power to enhance their own.
Hit Dice: D8 (Should I make this a D6?)
Proficiencies:
Armor: Light Armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons
Tools: None
Skills: 3 chosen from Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception or History.

Equipment:(I kept this the same from the original class because I'm not sure what would work best)
2x Daggers or a Handaxe
10x Darts or a Light Crossbow with 10x Bolts
Explorer's Pack or Dungeoneer's Pack
Leather Armor

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Spirits

Call Spirit, Use Spirit

Ability Score Improvement

Call Spirit-Each day you can call spirits equal to your Wis + Number on Table
Use Spirit- Each Spirit can be used in many ways, of which more are unlocked at higher levels.
1st Level- Spectral Arms, Spectral Weapons, or Spectral Cohort(See below)
3rd Level-Spectral Spell, Spectral Armor, or Spirit Warrior
5th Level- Spectral Guardians
10th Level- Spectral Channeling

Spectral Arms- A number of spirits equal to your Wisdom Modifier can be used to create one spectral Arm per spirit. Each Arm grants +1 Strength when used(For example if a Spirit Warrior was attempting to use all his arms to push a boulder the bonuses would apply but a greatsword held in two arms would not receive the bonuses of the other arms). Each arm can attack for 1d4 + Wisdom Bludgeoning damage as a bonus action.
At 6th level the damage becomes 1d6 + Wis Modifier and the max number of arms is raised by two
At 12th level the damage becomes 1d8 + Wis Modifier and the max number of arms is raised by two
At 18th Level these arms can be shot out at enemies with a range of 20/60 but the arms cannot be used again until they return to the user. They return at a speed of 15’. The Max number of Arms is raised by two.

Spectral Weapons- The spirits manifest into a spiritual weapon for the warrior. It acts as the spell Spiritual Weapon but in your hand with infinite duration though it ceases to exist if it leaves the user’s hands and the spirits poured into that weapon are not regained until the next long rest. For each additional spirit poured into this ability a +2 bonus is given to damage, though for every 2 poured in to this ability a second weapon floating beside you that attacks as a bonus action can be gained instead. The max number of weapons is equal to your wisdom modifier.
At 8th level the damage of each weapon goes up to 1d10
At 16th level the damage of each weapon goes up to 1d12

Spectral Cohort- Each Spirit poured into this ability created the effect of an unseen servant of unlimited duration. They are not proficient in any skills and have the stat block specified in the spell description.(Does this one need buffing throughout levels? I can’t see people putting more than one spirit into this ability)

Spectral Spell- 1 Spirit in this ability gives you 1 cantrip, 2 Spirits gives you 2 cantrips, 3 gives you 1 level 1 spell and 2 cantrips, 4 gives you 2 level 1 and 2 cantrips, 5 gives you 1 level 2, 2 level 1, and 2 cantrips. The pattern continues. But Level 2 is the maximum at this level. You may only have 2 of your maximum spell level. Instead of gaining a higher spell level, you can instead gain two spells of the directly lower level or four of the level just before that, though the maximum spirits that can put into the ability is still the amount it would take to have 2 of your maximum spell level spells. You function as a prepared caster. You may choose from the list of spells given below.
At 8th level you may go up to 3rd level.
At 12th level you may go up to 4th level.
At 16th level you may go up to 5th level.
At 20th level you may go up to 6th level.

Spell List-
Cantrips-Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Chill Touch, Dancing Lights, Frostbite, Green Flame Blade, Guidance, Gust, Mage Hand, Message, Minor Illusion, Prestigitation, Ray of Frost, Resistance, Spare the Dying, Sword Burst, Thaumaturgy, True Strike
1st Level- Absorb Elements, Armor of Agathys, Bane, Catapult, Cure Wounds, Dissonant Whispers, Divine Power, Expeditious Retreat, Faerie Fire, False Life, Fog Cloud, Guiding Bolt, Inflict Wounds, Silent Image, Tenser’s Floating Disk, Magic Missile
2nd Level- Aid, Augury, Blur, Calm Emotions, Cloud of Daggers, Darkvision, Detect Thoughts, Enhance Ability, Flame Blade, Lesser Restoration, Levitate, Magic Mouth, Magic Weapon, Moonbeam, Misty Step, Phantasm Force, See Invisibility, Silence, Spider Climb, Suggestion
3rd Level- Animate Dead, Aura of Vitality, Bestow Curse, Clairvoyance, Counterspell, Elemental Weapon, Feat, Fly, Gaseous Form, Haste, Nondetection, Phantom Steed, Remove Curse, Revify, Sending, Wind Wall
4th Level- Arcane Eye, Aura of Life, Hallucinatory Terrain, Phantasmal Killer, Storm Sphere, Stoneskin, Locate Creature
5th-Animate Objects, Antilife Shell, Awaken, Bigby’s Hand, Commune, Commune with Nature, Contact other Plane, Control Winds, Destructive Wave, Dominate Person, Dream, Flame Strike, Greater Restoration, Legend Lore, Mass Cure Wounds, Mislead, Raise Death, Reincarnate, Scrying, Telekinesis, Wall of Force
6th Level- Arcane Gate, Blade Barrier, Create Undead, Find the Path, Heal, Harm, Investiture of Wind, Programmed Illusion, Wind Walk.

Spectral Armor-Manifesting this ability takes two spirits. With two spirits you gain 13+Dex as your AC, for every 2 poured into this ability you gain an additional +1 AC. The max you can put into this ability is equal to your Wisdom Modifier.
At 10th Level you may add your Wisdom Modifier to your AC.
At 15th level the max number of spirits that can be put into this ability is raised by 2.

Spirit Warrior- The spirits manifest beside you to fight at your side. Each warrior created takes two spirits to create, one for the body and one for the weapon. The Max number of spirits that can be put into this ability is equal to your Wisdom Modifier +1(if you cap at 20. If your games can go beyond 20 then it is just your wisdom modifier)
Stats:
HP=Spirit Warrior’s Con Mod x Wis Mod + Level
Movement: Hover 30, walk 0
Str: 10
Dex: 10
Con: -
Int: 10
Wis: 17
Cha: 10
Damage Resistance: Bludgeoning, Piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities: Cold, Necrotic, Poison
Other immunities: Charmed, Exhaustion, Frightened, Grappled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Poisoned, Prone, Restrained
Sense: Darkvision 60, Passive Perception 13
Languages: Understands all languages spoken by the Spirit Warrior but cannot speak
Each one is equipped with a basic 1d8 +0 Spectral Weapon. Your Spectral Weapon Enhancements do not apply to these warrior. These warriors may also shoot a 1d4 force damage dart at 60’ range.
At 10th level you may put two more points into this ability
At 15th level you may put an additional 2 more points into this ability
At 20th level you may put an additional 2 more points into this ability

Spectral Guardians- This ability takes 4 spirits to manifest. As spirit guardians but all appear as the ghosts of ancient warriors of your race. The damage is force damage no matter what your alignment is. For an additional 4 spirits you can further an affected creature’s slowing to 75% of their move rounded up to the nearest 10 and the damage goes up a d8. The base you can put into this ability is your Wisdom Modifier +4
At level 10 you may put an additional 4 spirits into this ability.
At Level 15 you may put an additional 4 spirits into this ability
At level 20 you may put an additional 4 spirits into this ability

Spectral Channeling- By manifesting all of your available spirits you can gain a powerful form. This Form has +2 to all of your ability scores for every 5 spirits poured into this ability, has 4 arms(you do not gain stat bonuses but they may wield spectral weapons) which each hold a 1d8 + Wis Spectral Weapon, with an additional 2 arms for every 5 spirits beyond 10, has a base speed of 50 and is large size. Your body floats in it’s torso. It’s AC is 13 + Wisdom Modifier with an additional +1 for every spirit beyond 10.
This form looks like an ancient respected adventurer of your heritage, whether this be an orcish barbarian, a Halfling bard, or an elven ranger.

So, thoughts? What should I change?

Wulfskadi
2016-06-07, 09:46 AM
This class is underpowered.

The abilities are powerful yes, but you get such a limited use of them that any more than one battle per day would screw anyone who took this class.

The spell casting ability is also dumb. based on the amount of spirits you give people, 1 spirit being a 1st level spell should be okay, as long as you do something to throttle it at lower levels. Maybe 2 spirits per spell level would be more effective...

Also, if your going to make a class with limited magical ability you may want to consider giving them d10 hit die and keeping the highly restricted casting.

this could balance out similarly to paladin or ranger if you add in a couple martial abilities while keeping the current system of magic, however I must stress that this IS NOT A VIABLE CLASS IN THIS CONDITION the powers are cool but way too weak.

Aeturo
2016-06-07, 11:17 AM
What if certain abilities were more incarnum-ish where the ability is maintained throughout the day, such as Spectral Arms, Spectral Weapon, etc. I want to keep their casting power low so casting is the only power that can't be maintained indefinitely as long as spirits are being allocated to the ability

JNAProductions
2016-06-07, 03:55 PM
So... This class is unfinished, right? Because that's a LOT of dead levels, something that no one has any of in 5E. (You either get a new feature or a new spell level each level, with the sole exception of Extra Attack when multiclassing.)