PDA

View Full Version : Idea for DM favor

RingofThorns
2016-06-07, 02:48 AM
I was looking around and found these fantasy metal coins online, I bought some and got this idea while looking at them.

The idea is basically that when I DM a game if a player does something kind of clever, or impressive you get a bronze coin

Pull off something pretty cool? get a silver coin.

Pull of something amazing? you get a gold coin.

I was figuring that the players could then exchange the coins for favors in the game, things like special items, help with a quest, etc.

Any helpful ideas? or maybe thoughts on if this would be a good idea or likely to be abused?

khadgar567
2016-06-07, 02:53 AM
so basiclly titansgrave coolness system pull something impressive grab token **** gets dangerous cash token to save your hide

Efrate
2016-06-07, 02:53 AM
Sounds like a more physical representation of hero/action points. I would limit them to one of each coin a session per player max and they cannot carry over. Let each coin give a progressively larger bonus to a roll, or gain a bonus action move standard full as you go up in value, as long as its there turn. Alternately allow them to be used as rerolls (1,2,3 per coin) as you go up the scale.

AlanBruce
2016-06-07, 03:10 AM
The idea is basically that when I DM a game if a player does something kind of clever/ pretty cool/ amazing, you get a coin

I like the idea: reward player creativity and problem solving, however, I would sit down and write what constitutes a amazing, clever and pretty good ideas and have a chart.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but just use some written guidelines that you can refer to before awarding a coin.

Be aware that would you as a DM believe to be clever, a player might see otherwise and vice versa.

Example:

Player: "I got the Quickdraw feat. Lets me unsheathe my blade as a free action."

DM: "Ok, good. It's a useful feat. Ok, guys! What else do you...""

Player: *clears throat and sticks out hand* "Quickdraw, DM: unsheathe weapon as a free action. Pretty impressive, if I do say so myself.""

DM: *rolls eyes* "Fine...yeah. Pretty impressive. Here's your coin. Ok, guys! Let's get started and...""

Player 2: *points at character sheet* "Lightning Reflexes. Came up with the idea to put it here all by myself. Move as fast as lightning! Amazing or what?""

Granted, the above example is a far stretch, but not an impossible one. Make sure you and your players are aware of this house rule and outline examples of what you consider falls into the categories of Clever, Pretty Cool and Amazing and work with that.

Maybe thoughts on if this would be a good idea or likely to be abused?

Read the above poorly written example.

Red Fel
2016-06-07, 08:56 AM
Any helpful ideas? or maybe thoughts on if this would be a good idea or likely to be abused?

I'll agree with the above posters who said that it resembles an Action Point system. The advantage of such a system is that, basically, doing cool stuff enables you to do cool stuff more in the future. And that works. Spend your coins on succeeding on a saving throw or skill check, or pulling off an awesome stunt. Basically, your coin gives you a one-time bonus, or chance at success.

Where it falls apart is where the metagame construct - a token from the DM - turns into an in-game construct. For example, "I cash in my coins for a +5 longsword." Okay, how does that actually happen? Like, the player cashes them in, and then over the next hill they magically find a +5 longsword just sitting there?

Also, the idea that you can trade this momentary cool thing for a persistent bonus like an item, as opposed to a one-time bonus, like rerolling a saving throw, is worrisome. A smart player will do a bunch of cool stuff to accumulate tokens, spend them on all the persistent bonuses he'll need, and then pretty much disregard the coolness system, because he has won the game.

I'd limit it to one-time benefits. Do something awesome, get a token you can spend on a one-time in-game bonus on a roll or something.

The Vagabond
2016-06-07, 12:34 PM
If you decide to go with this system, I'd probably design it like this:
A bronze coin allows you to use a profession or knowledge skill to set something up in the area, as with the Let it Ride (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=11090577&postcount=1) thingy.
Silver Coin is a action point, from 3.5, and functions like that.
Gold coin is a hero point, and works like that.

Limiting it to having, let's say, one of each, encourages liberal use of them.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-07, 02:21 PM

I would second this. It encourages spending often instead of hoarding for the Big Bad Boss and unloading a crapton onto them and killing them in one round.

The main problem with these systems I have found is that rarely is everyone's tastes the same at the table, so that can lead to players trying to play a character that the DM doesn't care for. Perhaps a limit on how often one can earn them as well? Or a group fund if you think your table can manage that? Or a system to give it to another player?

BowStreetRunner
2016-06-07, 05:02 PM

Perhaps a limit on how often one can earn them as well?
I don't think you want to have a limit that's too low. I could easily imagine a player with one of each who stops trying to earn any more (because he can't) but hoards them because he is always afraid that if he spends them there will be a situation later when he needs them more.

I would put a restriction that you can only earn one reward per encounter - but you can always 'upgrade' if you earn a lower value reward and later in the encounter do something deserving of a higher value reward. Likewise, you are only allowed to spend a single reward during any encounter.

As for a top-end limit, probably something more like 2-3 of any one token. That way they can hold one back for emergencies and still spend the extras.

While most of your rewards (particularly the low level ones) should be one-time bonuses and the like, I don't see anything wrong with a very limited set of options applicable toward more 'permanent' benefits. For instance, a DM who uses random treasure tables might include the option to buy a 'roll twice and pick the most appropriate item' chance on the next treasure hoard. This simply means the DM (not the player) rolls twice on a treasure roll and picks the item that would most benefit the player in question. The players never actually see the roll, but they do notice that there is something useful in the next hoard instead of the usual junk that they have to sell. For any other similar 'permanent' benefits I would also keep it out of the hands of the players to dictate the exact form of the benefit. Instead of "I need a +1 keen rapier" it would be more like "I need a better weapon for my crit-based build". The DM would then see to it that over the next couple of game days the magic shop, a treasure hoard, or a particular NPC baddie becomes available for the PC to 'acquire' the item.