PDA

View Full Version : New player Questions.

Evershade
2016-06-07, 05:48 AM
Hey there!

Despite me wanting to play D&D for years, I only recently got the chance of playing it and finding a group for it this last weekend. The campaign we’re playing is Curse of Strahd, as the DM told me. We’ve apparently came to be lords of some small village that belongs to the kingdom of Winterfell. I’m mentioning what campaign we’re playing to not have suggestions that would be too good for the setting.

So, I joined the party as a level 6 monk who I created in the space of some weeks, while simultaneously devouring the PHB. I was introduced into the campaign at the time the party was clearing the wave echo caves, if I remember the name correctly. I’ve given my monk a custom personality trait originated from his background that reads: “he will never wear armor, carry or equip any weapon, only using his fists to hit things”. He will even forgo the 2nd part of the Deflect Missiles trait that returns ranged weapon missiles back. Because of this, and because my monk will not use any kind of belts, boots or gloves etc, the only thing remaining, that I could “equip” would be for him to have tattoos etched on his body that confer combat bonuses.

Searching the Internet yielded no real results as to what I could have those tattoos cost for, since what I’m thinking would be nice is a simple increase in unarmed strike damage that will scale with level to not become obsolete later, following this formula: Extra Unarmed Strike Damage = (Monk Level/2) -1, rounded down. The unarmed damage formula in its entirety would look something like this at my level if this happens: 1d6 + dex mod + 2. Would that be OP, balanced or underwhelming for a level 6 monk with my monk’s personality trait? My problem is that I simply do not know what the power curve goes in D&D, since I haven’t played at all before.

My DM gave my monk 100gp on campaign entry and also told me that I could “bring 2 things from my monastery”. Would a tattoo like that be an ok thing to “bring”? If not, what would qualify as an ok thing to bring that would potentially confer an in-combat or out of combat bonus?

Another question I got is about Ki-Empowered Strikes. This trait makes the monk’s attacks magical for the sake of bypassing immunities to physical and that’s exactly what the PHB says. We were fighting a Skullflame which was resistant to fire and cold, and at that point, while making an unarmed attack to it, I told my DM that I could do magical damage via the Unarmed Strike, to which he responded with “well, you’re the one that will tell me what type of magical damage this is”. I of course realized that if I would have said fire or cold he would count it as the strikes being resisted, but because I did not want to set a setting based on which, I would be able to bypass any immunity or resistance to certain magic damage types in future sessions, or basically take complete advantage of weaknesses by going “oh, I hit with psychic or radiant damage”, I simply said “well, this is not immune to physical, so no need”. My question is: in a case of extreme emergency, am I allowed by RAW to swap my magic damage type of my unarmed strikes? I do not want to ruin my DM’s dungeons and enemies or force him to create encounters that will be incredibly hard or simply impossible to deal with just because I will be exploiting a non-cleared up trait of my class.

That would be all :P

Thanks in advance for your comments, feedback and answers!

DracoKnight
2016-06-07, 06:03 AM
Hey there!

Despite me wanting to play D&D for years, I only recently got the chance of playing it and finding a group for it this last weekend. The campaign we’re playing is Curse of Strahd, as the DM told me. We’ve apparently came to be lords of some small village that belongs to the kingdom of Winterfell. I’m mentioning what campaign we’re playing to not have suggestions that would be too good for the setting.

So Curse of Strahd being entered through Westeros? Strahd is a more twisted version of the Night King? Hmmmmm...I might have to steal that :smallbiggrin:

So, I joined the party as a level 6 monk

I applaud your choice! Monks are tremendous fun!! :smallbiggrin:

who I created in the space of some weeks, while simultaneously devouring the PHB. I was introduced into the campaign at the time the party was clearing the wave echo caves, if I remember the name correctly. I’ve given my monk a custom personality trait originated from his background that reads: “he will never wear armor, carry or equip any weapon, only using his fists to hit things”. He will even forgo the 2nd part of the Deflect Missiles trait that returns ranged weapon missiles back. Because of this, and because my monk will not use any kind of belts, boots or gloves etc, the only thing remaining, that I could “equip” would be for him to have tattoos etched on his body that confer combat bonuses.

I really like that thematically. I don't know if you've seen Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but this is making me think of Scar and his tattoos.

Searching the Internet yielded no real results as to what I could have those tattoos cost for, since what I’m thinking would be nice is a simple increase in unarmed strike damage that will scale with level to not become obsolete later, following this formula: Extra Unarmed Strike Damage = (Monk Level/2) -1, rounded down. The unarmed damage formula in its entirety would look something like this at my level if this happens: 1d6 + dex mod + 2. Would that be OP, balanced or underwhelming for a level 6 monk with my monk’s personality trait? My problem is that I simply do not know what the power curve goes in D&D, since I haven’t played at all before.

Personally, I think that this is a fair formula - it's not damage that breaks 5e, it's +to hit bonuses :smalltongue:

My DM gave my monk 100gp on campaign entry and also told me that I could “bring 2 things from my monastery”. Would a tattoo like that be an ok thing to “bring”? If not, what would qualify as an ok thing to bring that would potentially confer an in-combat or out of combat bonus?

You're level 6, I would say that it's feasible that you got tattooed before leaving - especially if the other members of your party have magic items already.

Another question I got is about Ki-Empowered Strikes. This trait makes the monk’s attacks magical for the sake of bypassing immunities to physical and that’s exactly what the PHB says. We were fighting a Skullflame which was resistant to fire and cold, and at that point, while making an unarmed attack to it, I told my DM that I could do magical damage via the Unarmed Strike, to which he responded with “well, you’re the one that will tell me what type of magical damage this is”. I of course realized that if I would have said fire or cold he would count it as the strikes being resisted, but because I did not want to set a setting based on which, I would be able to bypass any immunity or resistance to certain magic damage types in future sessions, or basically take complete advantage of weaknesses by going “oh, I hit with psychic or radiant damage”, I simply said “well, this is not immune to physical, so no need”. My question is: in a case of extreme emergency, am I allowed by RAW to swap my magic damage type of my unarmed strikes? I do not want to ruin my DM’s dungeons and enemies or force him to create encounters that will be incredibly hard or simply impossible to deal with just because I will be exploiting a non-cleared up trait of my class.

It's magical bludgeoning damage. You don't get to swap it out. Your fists overcome resistance and immunity to nonmagical bludgeoning damage. So, basically, if you hit your target, you don't have to worry about resistance or immunity, ever. It's enough of a boon that you don't need to be able to switch out damage.

Also, thank you for considering the DM of your game in your questions. In my experience, too many players look for ways to screw the DM. So, again, thank you for not being a malicious player :smallsmile:

That would be all :P

Thanks in advance for your comments, feedback and answers!

I hope that my answers were of some assistance :smallbiggrin:

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-07, 06:04 AM
Ki-Empowered Strike does not change the type of your damage. It means you count as magical bludgeoning damage, if anything resists non-magical bludgeoning (which a lot of creatures do).

Your 'vow of poverty' shouldn't have too much impact on the power curve. Yes, you're missing out on quarterstaves and shortswords, plus a lot of magic items, but it's up to your DM to compensate for that. If the others get magic items you should get a tattoo. I'm assuming they aren't starting with +1 weapons; in that case it is not fair for you to start with a magical tattoo of scaling damage.

Well, I got thoroughly ninja'd. :smallannoyed: curse this infernal 'work' I must do!

Evershade
2016-06-07, 06:33 AM
Thank you for the answers!

The other players do have some magical weapons: some spider staff and another one has some boots, if I remember correctly, that give him +2 STR and allow him to jump great distances at will.

I should just discuss the tattoo with my DM, I guess. Thing is that I want to have some options for it next time I talk to him, so we can work something out and not get lost in brainstorming over what to bring and postponing it for next week. So, like:

-Just unarmed damage?
-A flat stat increase? Like +2 dex?
-Water breathing?
-Flying?
-Able to jump?
-Some other trait that I cannot even imagine because I'm terribly new? :P

What about not getting that tattoo though, because we're unable to work something out. To be honest, I really like the damage increase on the unarmed strikes, because it literally is all that I will be doing to deal damage. What should I bring? Healing potions? They are terrible for my level.

Edit: I also wanted to ask a question for another character I created and planning to play. Long story, short, the DM was very pleased to play with me the last time we played (which was my 1st ever) and amazed by my prowess in the game (all those years competitively playing games paying off). He wouldn't believe that this was my 1st time playing D&D, and so he asked me if I was interested to join a much more serious group in some Underdark campaign if I remember correctly. They have a Paladin, a Barbarian, a Monk and a Fighter, and I'm planning on going Wizard. Thing is, the wizard I made is rather "special" in that he has made a discovery (via the Hermit background) that essentially allows him to ignore any Verbal components a spell needs (he's almost mute and can talk in very low volume out of combat, and of course he can't be heard in combat). Is this OP?

Should I copy and paste the discovery paragraph I wrote about him?

JackPhoenix
2016-06-07, 06:43 AM
Thank you for the answers!

The other players do have some magical weapons: some spider staff and another one has some boots, if I remember correctly, that give him +2 STR and allow him to jump great distances at will.

I should just discuss the tattoo with my DM, I guess. Thing is that I want to have some options for it next time I talk to him, so we can work something out and not get lost in brainstorming over what to bring and postponing it for next week. So, like:

-Just unarmed damage?
-A flat stat increase? Like +2 dex?
-Water breathing?
-Flying?
-Able to jump?
-Some other trait that I cannot even imagine because I'm terribly new? :P

What about not getting that tattoo though, because we're unable to work something out. To be honest, I really like the damage increase on the unarmed strikes, because it literally is all that I will be doing to deal damage. What should I bring? Healing potions? They are terrible for my level.

Edit: I also wanted to ask a question for another character I created and planning to play. Long story, short, the DM was very pleased to play with me the last time we played (which was my 1st ever) and amazed by my prowess in the game (all those years competitively playing games paying off). He wouldn't believe that this was my 1st time playing D&D, and so he asked me if I was interested to join a much more serious group in some Underdark campaign if I remember correctly. They have a Paladin, a Barbarian, a Monk and a Fighter, and I'm planning on going Wizard. Thing is, the wizard I made is rather "special" in that he has made a discovery (via the Hermit background) that essentially allows him to ignore any Verbal components a spell needs (he's almost mute and can talk in very low volume out of combat, and of course he can't be heard in combat). Is this OP?

I'd say ask your DM to give you a magic item reward appropriate to your character in a form of tattoo, instead of weapon or something. So he won't give you, for example, +1 short sword, but give you an option to get tattoo that gives +1 to unarmed attack and damage.

DanyBallon
2016-06-07, 06:46 AM

Discovries from your background should be used as a roleplaying Tools and may come handy once or twice. What you're proposing is quite powerful as it would be in used all the time and may give yyou a net advantage overtime. Yet it falls in "Ask your DM" territory maybe with the discovery background you creater it will be allowed, maybe not.

Evershade
2016-06-07, 06:51 AM
Discovries from your background should be used as a roleplaying Tools and may come handy once or twice. What you're proposing is quite powerful as it would be in used all the time and may give yyou a net advantage overtime. Yet it falls in "Ask your DM" territory maybe with the discovery background you creater it will be allowed, maybe not.

Is it powerful on its own though? Thinking about it better, it seems to actually be detrimental, given that I will not be able to communicate in fights with my party members from my side (I will obviously be able to hear them), and the only times it seems that it will actually be useful is when my character would be silenced either by a spell or a gag in their mouth, which... I do not know how often that happens.

DanyBallon
2016-06-07, 07:06 AM
Is it powerful on its own though? Thinking about it better, it seems to actually be detrimental, given that I will not be able to communicate in fights with my party members from my side (I will obviously be able to hear them), and the only times it seems that it will actually be useful is when my character would be silenced either by a spell or a gag in their mouth, which... I do not know how often that happens.

It's powerful if you consider that background provide a ribbon ability that has no mechanical benefits, and you discovry has one. Also, if your DM underground adventure is Out of the Abyss as I believe (my guess from him using bith Lost Mine of Phandelver and Curse of Stradh in his other campaign) then it may come up useful early in the game. But as I said, as your DM, he may allow it :smallsmile:

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-07, 07:07 AM
Discovries from your background should be used as a roleplaying Tools and may come handy once or twice. What you're proposing is quite powerful

Agreed. There is no way I'd allow this if I was DM. Not only does it have more mechanical power than a background feature should have, it also steps on the sorcerer's toes. If you want to cast silently, play a sorcerer.

Evershade
2016-06-07, 07:10 AM
Agreed. There is no way I'd allow this if I was DM. Not only does it have more mechanical power than a background feature should have, it also steps on the sorcerer's toes. If you want to cast silently, play a sorcerer.

I see. What's a standard Discovery to have then?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-07, 07:30 AM
I see. What's a standard Discovery to have then?

There are no standard discoveries. Honestly, the hermit background is a nightmare for DMs.

There was a thread of people sharing their stories on here not long ago... But I didn't post in it. I have a hermit in one of my games at the moment: her discovery was that she has a magical 'gift' so that if she writes poetry to someone, they are certain to fall in love with her, but only if she doesn't love them herself. For context, it's a homebrew campaign where all the PCs are fey creatures, which was what gave me the idea for the ironic twist. She hasn't used it yet, but then, we've only been adventuring for 25 days in-game.

Evershade
2016-06-07, 07:49 AM
There are no standard discoveries. Honestly, the hermit background is a nightmare for DMs.

There was a thread of people sharing their stories on here not long ago... But I didn't post in it. I have a hermit in one of my games at the moment: her discovery was that she has a magical 'gift' so that if she writes poetry to someone, they are certain to fall in love with her, but only if she doesn't love them herself. For context, it's a homebrew campaign where all the PCs are fey creatures, which was what gave me the idea for the ironic twist. She hasn't used it yet, but then, we've only been adventuring for 25 days in-game.

Yeah, I had read that thread. It didn't really help. Sigh. Oh well, I guess I will have to make do.

Edit: It's rather apparent though that this Discovery of mine really is very controversial. I've asked all the DMs on the internet I could find (even youtubers) and I get all kinds of opinions for it. Some are like "yeah, whatever, ain't really doing anything", others say what you're saying.

I honestly don't know what to conclude other than I just need to talk to the DM of the 2nd group (the DM of the 1st one is a player in the 2nd one). Thank you for the answers guys. I want to see both the sides of the coin. I hadn't thought of overwriting the sorcerer's silent spell feature, although it is never picked from what I've seen in the guides and not really or at all useful.

RickAllison
2016-06-07, 09:42 AM
I would have your Hermit discovery be the ability to create the magical tattoos from other materials. Then, the DM can include inks, powders, and decrepit magical items that are unusable that your PC can recycle into magic tattoos. That way, you get to fulfill your concept while keeping the complications to a minimum (you get the various magic item effects in your unique way, basically).

JackPhoenix
2016-06-07, 12:17 PM
I would have your Hermit discovery be the ability to create the magical tattoos from other materials. Then, the DM can include inks, powders, and decrepit magical items that are unusable that your PC can recycle into magic tattoos. That way, you get to fulfill your concept while keeping the complications to a minimum (you get the various magic item effects in your unique way, basically).

You're mixing two characters. First is a tattooed monk with unknown background, the second one is mute hermit wizard.

RickAllison
2016-06-07, 12:55 PM
You're mixing two characters. First is a tattooed monk with unknown background, the second one is mute hermit wizard.

Ahhh. I kind of like my idea, though, it seems fun :smalltongue:

Maybe I'll suggest it to my DM for an NPC or something...

Fighting_Ferret
2016-06-07, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I had read that thread. It didn't really help. Sigh. Oh well, I guess I will have to make do.

Edit: It's rather apparent though that this Discovery of mine really is very controversial. I've asked all the DMs on the internet I could find (even youtubers) and I get all kinds of opinions for it. Some are like "yeah, whatever, ain't really doing anything", others say what you're saying.

I honestly don't know what to conclude other than I just need to talk to the DM of the 2nd group (the DM of the 1st one is a player in the 2nd one). Thank you for the answers guys. I want to see both the sides of the coin. I hadn't thought of overwriting the sorcerer's silent spell feature, although it is never picked from what I've seen in the guides and not really or at all useful.

In the case of your monk, tattoos offer only a slight edge in that they can never be taken from you, whereas items can. As long as they are basically giving you boons that would otherwise come from a similar magic item, you'll be fine.

As to your wizard...
I can see it as both. Your character not being able to speak in battle, means that you as the player shouldn't speak during battles either...as you wouldn't be able to coordinate with your group in character. That is reliant on your DM and the other players. Also you are potentially granting yourself a huge bonus as 99% of all spells require verbal components and getting rid of silence is huge.

If your DM is cool with it, then you are all set... he views it as fluff. If he has a problem, then work with him to come up with a disadvantage to balance the advantage.

Evershade
2016-06-08, 12:54 PM
We can lock this thread since there's nothing more to be given. Thank you all!