PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Wind Samurai

TheWebScholarZa
2016-06-07, 10:36 AM
The goal is a samurai that uses wind as a weapon: I am trying to balance the damage done by ablities and what not. This is using a blend of monk, fighter, and some air domain of the cleric. I am using 3.5 rules.

Full BAB, d8 HD, Ref and Will save, No armor, Proficient with katana

Abilities will be re set with a good nights rest.

If I need to add the skills I will but I don't think that is the balancing issue.

Lvl 1: Weapon Finesse with Katana, Add Wis to AC, Quick Strike (Add 5ft reach to the attack, must be made directly in front of the character, do not add strength to the Dmg roll, may be used 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day, quick strike is a move action)

Lvl 2: Evasion, SLA Windwall usable 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day

Lvl 3: Movement speed, Slow Fall as the Monk

Lvl 4: SLA Invisibility number of rounds = to Wis mod, 1/2 CL + Wis mod, Wind Slash ( Range 30 ft, You produce a 15ft arch of wind dealing 1d8 + Wis mod to the targets it hits, 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day increases 1d8, 5ft to the arch and range every 4 lvls)

Lvl 5: Quick Draw, Wind Blast (swift action, cone 15 ft in front of you, You draw your katana so fast a burst of air comes from you, Large creatures and smaller make a Reflex save DC 10 + 1/2 CL + Wis Mod) If they beat the DC by 5 or more they are not pushed back, Anything else they are pushed back a minimum of 5 ft, if they fail they will be knocked prone, for every 5 they fail they are pushed back 5 ft and does 1d4 dmg, 1/2 CL + Wis Mod per day, increases range and extra d4 every 3 lvls)

Lvl 6: Movement Speed, Slow Fall as a Monk

Lvl 7: Improved Evasion, Wind Dash (Full round, may move up to your full speed, may attack each enemy you pass taking at Full BA on the first target -2 on each subsequent attack exp: 6 on the first, 4 on the second attack, 2 on the third attack, enemies must make a Ref save to have AoO for how fast you move DC 10 + 1/2 CL + Wis Mod, may only use this once per encounter, 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day)

Lvl 8: Wind Strike increases, Wind Blast increases, and fly with average maneuverability, in combat rounds = to wis mod

Lvl 9: Movement Speed, Slow Fall, SLA Greater Invisibility

Lvl 10: SLA Whirlwind the range will be decrease 300ft in front of you and does 3d10 on initial hit, if suspend 1d10 for each round in the whirlwind, increase by 2d10 on inital hit and 1d10 in the whirlwind every 5 lvls, last 1/2 CL + Wis mod rounds, may be used 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day

Lvl 11: Add Wis to initiative when wielding your Katana, Wind Blast increase

Lvl 12: Movement Speed, Slow Fall as a Monk, Wind Strike Increase

Lvl 13: Wind Step, you may move to an airborne target in you sight up to 300ft away as a swift action, may only be used once per encounter, 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day,

Lvl 14: One with the wind, Teleport 50 miles away ( +5 miles per lvl) to a place you can see or have been. Takes 1 minute to do, 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day

Lvl 15: Whirlwind Increase, Movement Speed, Slow Fall as a Monk

Lvl 16: Wind Strike Increase, Increase Critical Threat range with your katana by 1

Lvl 17: Wind Blast Increase, Fly with perfect maneuverability in combat a number of rounds = 1/2 CL + Wis Mod

Lvl 18: Movement Speed and Slow Fall as a Monk

Lvl 19:

Lvl 20: Increase Whirlwind(7d10, 3d10), Wind Strike (5d8 35ft arch up to 50 ft away), and Windblast (5d4, cone 30 ft away)

TheWebScholarZa
2016-06-07, 10:37 AM
It wouldn't let me link the Cleric spell Whirlwind.

Grand Arbiter
2016-06-08, 01:36 PM
It wouldn't let me link the Cleric spell Whirlwind.

You have to have a minimum number of posts before you can post links. It's to help prevent spam.

Commentary bolded in quote below:

The goal is a samurai that uses wind as a weapon: I am trying to balance the damage done by ablities and what not. This is using a blend of monk, fighter, and some air domain of the cleric. I am using 3.5 rules.

Full BAB, d8 HD, Ref and Will save, No armor, Proficient with katana

Abilities will be re set with a good nights rest.

If I need to add the skills I will but I don't think that is the balancing issue.

•Reasonable so far. A skill list is not necessary, but it can help define the class for readers/players.

Lvl 1: Weapon Finesse with Katana, Add Wis to AC, Quick Strike (Add 5ft reach to the attack, must be made directly in front of the character, do not add strength to the Dmg roll, may be used 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day, quick strike is a move action)

•Quick Strike could be difficult to handle in-game. Facing is not commonly used, so it could be problematic. Maybe instead have a variant of flurry of blows usable with the katana.

Lvl 2: Evasion, SLA Windwall usable 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day

•A caster level for the SLA is necessary, as caster level determines the potency of the ability(duration/size/etc.).
•You may also want to change the 1/2 CL to 1/2 character level, as this class has no "caster level" since it's not a spellcaster.

Lvl 3: Movement speed, Slow Fall as the Monk

•The monk doesn't get slow fall until 4th level, but it fits the theme.
•This level is otherwise empty, and could use a little something extra.

Lvl 4: SLA Invisibility number of rounds = to Wis mod, 1/2 CL + Wis mod, Wind Slash ( Range 30 ft, You produce a 15ft arch of wind dealing 1d8 + Wis mod to the targets it hits, 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day increases 1d8, 5ft to the arch and range every 4 lvls)

•For the SLA, same as windwall.
•While the arc is a cool idea, like quick strike, it would likely be hard to handle in-game. Maybe allow the class to make an attack at range with a blast of wind from the katana instead.

Lvl 5: Quick Draw, Wind Blast (swift action, cone 15 ft in front of you, You draw your katana so fast a burst of air comes from you, Large creatures and smaller make a Reflex save DC 10 + 1/2 CL + Wis Mod) If they beat the DC by 5 or more they are not pushed back, Anything else they are pushed back a minimum of 5 ft, if they fail they will be knocked prone, for every 5 they fail they are pushed back 5 ft and does 1d4 dmg, 1/2 CL + Wis Mod per day, increases range and extra d4 every 3 lvls)

•A free feat, not bad, not great.
•Wind Blast should probably be clarified to be more understandable. As far as I can tell, it is otherwise ok.

Lvl 6: Movement Speed, Slow Fall as a Monk

•Continuation of the abilities is nice, but a bit more is needed to keep players interested.

Lvl 7: Improved Evasion, Wind Dash (Full round, may move up to your full speed, may attack each enemy you pass taking at Full BA on the first target -2 on each subsequent attack exp: 6 on the first, 4 on the second attack, 2 on the third attack, enemies must make a Ref save to have AoO for how fast you move DC 10 + 1/2 CL + Wis Mod, may only use this once per encounter, 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day)

•This is the earliest I've ever seen a class get improved evasion. No idea what to say about it.
•Wind Dash should probably be clarified to be more easily understood

Lvl 8: Wind Strike increases, Wind Blast increases, and Whirlwind Attack feat

•I'm inclined to suggest giving Wind Dash after Whirlwind Attack, possibly swapping the two. It feels like it would be a more natural progression.

Lvl 9: Movement Speed, Slow Fall, SLA Greater Invisibility

•Is the "SLA Greater Invisibility" new, or an upgrade to the prior invisibility?

Lvl 10: SLA Whirlwind the range will be decrease 300ft in front of you and does 3d10 on initial hit, if suspend 1d10 for each round in the whirlwind, increase by 2d10 on inital hit and 1d10 in the whirlwind every 5 lvls, last 1/2 CL + Wis mod rounds, may be used 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day

•Another potent ability, but it should be made more understandable.

Lvl 11: Add Dex to DMG on attacks with your Katana, Wind Blast increase

Lvl 12: Movement Speed, Slow Fall as a Monk, Wind Strike Increase

•These are another two levels which could use a little more to keep players in the class.

Lvl 13: Wind Step, you may move to an airborne target in you sight up to 300ft away as a swift action, may only be used once per encounter, 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day,

•Mobility can be useful. I'd suggest removing the per encounter limit or making it uses per encounter.

Lvl 14: One with the wind, Teleport 50 miles away ( +5 miles per lvl) to a place you can see or have been. Takes 1 minute to do, 1/2 CL + Wis mod per day

•Can party members come along?

Lvl 15: Whirlwind Increase, Movement Speed, Slow Fall as a Monk

Lvl 16: Wind Strike Increase, Increase Critical Threat range with your katana by 1

See commentary on level twelve.

Lvl 17: Wind Blast Increase, Fly with perfect maneuverability in combat a number of rounds = 1/2 CL + Wis Mod

•Rounds per day or per encounter? Fly speed? Keep in mind wizards by this level have Overland Flight, which lasts an hour/level.

Lvl 18: Movement Speed and Slow Fall as a Monk

Lvl 19: Add Wis and Dex to DMG

•See commentary on level twelve.

Lvl 20: Increase Whirlwind(7d10, 3d10), Wind Strike (5d8 35ft arch up to 50 ft away), and Windblast (5d4, cone 30 ft away)
This is the big one, the stuff that a PC gets when they stick to the class for all 20 levels. Something special should be had here, more than increasing abilities.

Overall, this class feels like it needs a bit more work. Some of the abilities could be clearer, and it's party role is unclear. It has mobility stuff, stealth, and full BAB, which all point in different directions for how this could go. The idea is cool, but I think it needs to be more focused.

A table may help you get more review for this. I have two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?341034) links (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?205677-Table-Pre-sets-and-Tablemaking-tutorial/page3) that may be useful in putting this to a table. I would help with putting it to a table, but I still have to figure it out myself once I have the time.

I'll also just leave these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?150122-3-5-The-Monk-Remixed) here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?126346-3-5-Revamping-the-Monk-and-trying-not-to-steer-too-off-from-the-established-path) for inspiration (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?226857-3-5-The-Retooled-Monk-Strikes-Back-now-with-150-more-complexity!). They are more related to monk, but may still be of use.

Hopefully my commentary will be of helpful.

TheWebScholarZa
2016-06-08, 10:26 PM
It helps a lot. I'll work on my wording with those special abilities to get a clearer idea. In my head it makes sense, getting on paper a bit harder.