PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5: Rogue X Sorc/Wizard 1 familiar munchkinry?

Gurifu
2016-06-07, 01:22 PM
1 - With an Int of 6, familiars can read, understand, and (with enough time and the right tools) write Common, correct? They simply lack the vocal equipment to speak it?

2 - If I get a wand crafted whose spell trigger word is "squeak," is there anything from stopping my familiar from using wands with my Use Magic Device score, provided he's capable of holding a wand in his paws/feet/talons? For instance, casting Grease on everything so that I can always sneak attack?

Troacctid
2016-06-07, 01:28 PM
1. Yes, for most familiars, although some actually are able to speak.
2. You must be able to speak to activate a command word item. You could ask your DM if "speak with master" counts, but I lean towards no.

It sounds like you want a raven familiar.

Sword-Geass
2016-06-07, 02:01 PM
Also remember that you don't even need UMD for wand activation so long as the spell is in your list, you don't need to be able to cast it, just have it on the list, so that dip is also gives you that to you.
An alternative to the raven is a pearl of spech, but raven is free so...

Gurifu
2016-06-07, 05:57 PM
Also remember that you don't even need UMD for wand activation so long as the spell is in your list, you don't need to be able to cast it, just have it on the list, so that dip is also gives you that to you.

The familiar is the one activating the wand, so he I would assume that he still needs UMD, since he doesn't have a spell list.

Pearl of Speech is a good idea. 600gp is pretty cheap by the time wands are useful.

Sword-Geass
2016-06-07, 09:25 PM
The familiar is the one activating the wand, so he I would assume that he still needs UMD, since he doesn't have a spell list.

I knew that, key words in bold:

Also remember that you don't even need UMD for wand activation so long as the spell is in your list, you don't need to be able to cast it, just have it on the list, so that dip also gives you that to you.

Thurbane
2016-06-07, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure I follow this debate - OP is asking for ways to get a familiar to use a wand (which definitely requires a UMD check for the familiar). Someone points out that class dips allow the familiar's master to use wands without UMD. Someone else points that this does not benefit the OP. ...? :smallamused:

Anyhow, my 2 cents worth for the OP is that you can always be a Beguiler, and spend a feat on Obtain Familiar. You don't lose any caster levels, and UMD is a class skill.

I have seen debates on whether or not a Raven can manipulate a Wand enough with it's talons to UMD it - some people think the familiar needs fairly defined "hands" to do so. If this is the case (I won't rehash this argument), you best bet is an improved familiar like an Imp or Quasit, or a familiar such as a monkey + Pearl of Speech.