PDA

View Full Version : What Other Level 1 Spells Should I pick for my Wizard?

Tormsskull
2007-06-28, 06:36 AM
Hi all,

My halfling Wizard just attained level 2 last session, and as such I get to add 2 additional spells to his spellbook.

Currently I have:
Alarm
Color Spray
Mage Armor
Sleep
True Strike

It is a core-only campaign and I am a Diviner with Evocation banned.

Any suggestions?

Fixer
2007-06-28, 06:59 AM
Grease
Summon Monster I

Never underestimate the importance of being able to stand up. (Grease)

And summoned monsters, at lower levels, make great remote minions. You might only get two rounds out of them, but when you are on one side of a drawbridge and the other side is 20 feet away, being able to summon a monkey on the other side to lower the drawbridge is quite handy.

FireSpark
2007-06-28, 08:08 AM
Three Words.

Ray.

Of.

Enfeeblement.

When a wizard, (and a halfling one at that) wishes to avoid being squish-i-fied, there's nothing like enfeeblment to CYA in a hurry.

Tyger
2007-06-28, 08:24 AM
Yup, Ray of Enfeeblement would be my choice. Though Enlarge Person would be a close second. The beneifits of this spell, if you have a fighter or two in the party, are almost unparalleled.

Tormsskull
2007-06-28, 08:37 AM
Three Words.
Ray. Of. Enfeeblement.

Yeah, I totally forgot that I have Ray of Enfeeblement. I was trying to work of my memory and it failed me :( I've made good use of RoE so far in the sessions.

Yup, Ray of Enfeeblement would be my choice. Though Enlarge Person would be a close second. The beneifits of this spell, if you have a fighter or two in the party, are almost unparalleled.

Enlarge person... I know that the cleric in our party has that spell (through a domain I think). But it definitely can't hurt to have additional usages of it. Looks like a good choice so far. Thanks.

Saph
2007-06-28, 09:08 AM
Remember that as a Diviner, one of your two spells has to be from the Divination school. That makes it a choice between Comprehend Languages, Detect Secret Doors, Detect Undead, and Identify. I'd probably take Identify.

For your other, Ray of Enfeeblement, Enlarge Person, and Grease are all great choices.

- Saph