PDA

View Full Version : Ranger caster level (Sword of Arcane Order / Shooting Star)

schreier
2016-06-07, 05:42 PM
I am sure it's been answered already, but I couldn't find it in a search of the forum.

What is the order of caster level calculation? Does it look at levels in the "class" or caster levels of that "class"?

For example:

Level 16 character
Ranger 8 (Shooting Star substitutions at 3,4 and 8), Harper Paragon 2 (increasing Ranger caster level), Wizard 1, Unseen Seer 5 (increasing Wizard caster level)

Normal caster level without the feats/substitution levels, I think: Ranger 4 ((8/2)), Wizard 6 (1+5)

But ... Sword of the Arcane Order:
If you also have levels in wizard, your wizard caster level is treated as the sum of your wizard, paladin, and ranger class levels.

and Shooting Star:
When casting ranger spells, a Shooting Star can treat her caster level as equal to one-half her ranger level +2. If she also has arcane spellcasting ability from another class, she can add her caster level from that class to this value to determine her caster level

How does the math work here? Do you look at caster levels, or class levels? What order do you apply them? How do classes that increase spellcaster level work with Ranger (which is class/2 normally, or class/2 + 2 with the substitution level)

Also ... if you took the substitution levels at 2, 3 and 8, then use prestige classes for the rest ... do you get the bonus spells? Seems like yes since the higher level aren't listed as substitution levels

Since Sword of the Arcane Order mentions "Ranger class levels" - my guess would be:
Wizard - 1 (Wizard) + 8 (Ranger levels) + 5 (Unseen Seer) = level 14 wizard caster

then

Ranger - 4 (1/2 Ranger) + 2 (Harper Paragon) + 14 (Wizard Caster Level) = level 20 Ranger caster

Does that look right?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if it has been covered ..
schreier

schreier
2016-06-12, 07:10 AM
I'll bump this once, just in case anyone can answer - I think my reading is correct though - just wanted to see if it had been confirmed anywhere

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-12, 07:49 AM
Your math looks right, except for one thing: the Harper Paragon increases your ranger casting by two levels, meaning you get casting as a ranger 10. Your caster level would be 19, for ranger spells. Great with hunter's eye!

It's a good thing Sword of the Arcane Order refers to 'ranger class level', that makes it easier to calculate :smalltongue:.

schreier
2016-06-12, 08:18 AM
In the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm) it mentions that ranger caster level is half of its ranger class levels.

I think that Harper paragon would add full levels, which is how I got the 6 (8/2 + 2). Spells known would be as a lvl 10 ranger though

I think that's right?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-12, 09:22 AM
The wording on Harper Paragon says something like 'you add your HP levels to your ranger levels to determine spells per day, spells known and caster level'. So you get casting as a ranger 10, including CL 5 (+2 for the Shooting Star).

schreier
2016-06-12, 09:36 AM
I think you're right .. was trying to figure out if the prestige class would add a caster level or a ranger level (so half a caster level) ...

Rereading it, it is as if gained a level in that class ... so I think you're right - it would be half a CL