PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PEACH: Ectopic Artisan Archetype changes

SilverSavio
2016-06-07, 07:53 PM
The aegis is a wonderful class that I have enjoyed thinking up possible characters for and their archetypes as well. Even then Ectopic Artisan archetype with it's fairly lack luster gimped eidolon. I always felt that this was just a quick and dirty archetype that someone came up with to basically say they had another option for the aegis and was given no thought of support. Well I have devised my own fix for this and now I present:

Ectopic Artisan Archetype changes
Lose Ectoplasmic Creation and Replace Astral Warrior with this version

Astral Warrior

An ectopic artisan is able to create an ally to help in battle at first level. Creating an astral warrior takes one minute of concentration to complete and remains until dismissed by the ectopic artisan.

The astral warrior functions as the psionic power Astral Construct, with the ectopic artisan levels equal to the manifester level of the power, with some differences. The ectopic artisan does not need to spend PP to form the astral warrior and can form astral constructs that his manifester level allow and cannot be boosted by overchannel. Anything that would boost or advance the Astral Suit class feature advances that manifester level of the ectopic artisan.

The astral warrior can be created with a masterwork weapon for its size and is considered proficient with this weapon. The weapon deals 1d8 (for medium size) and can deal damage as bludgeoning/piercing/slashing and is chosen at the time the ectopic artisan forms the astral warrior. The astral warrior receives iterative attacks as normal for a high base attack bonus. The astral warrior weapon disappears if it leaves the astral warrior’s possession for longer than one minute.

The astral warrior gains a menu choice for an astral construct of its appropriate type at the time of its creation. The astral warrior can be given customizations available to the ectopic artisan from his total customization points. The ectopic artisan can use his augment suit class feature to modify his astral warrior just like his astral suit. The ectopic artisan must choose customizations separately for himself and his astral warrior, although the ectopic artisan does not need to spend 8 hours separately for himself and for his astral warrior. The ectopic artisan can choose to leave customization points to be selected later as normal, choosing them either for himself or his astral warrior by spending one minute as normal. An astral warrior always forms with full hit points.

An astral warrior is a mindless construct but uses the ectopic artisan’s intelligence modifier minus one for any abilities that call for intelligence modifiers (like the Initiator’s Soul customization).

An Aw disperses if the ectopic artisan is rendered unconscious or dies.
Replaces DR and Reconfigure

Special: If the ectopic artisan has the form mind blade class feature (or equivalent ability) then the ectopic artisan can manifest their soul weapon through their astral warrior. The astral warrior is considered proficient with this weapon and follows the rules for manifesting more than one soul weapon at a time. The astral warrior cannot use any blade skills that the ectopic artisan has without the appropriate customization.

Ectopic Artisan Customizations

1-point customizations
Imbue Blade Skill: Any one blade skill that an ectopic artisan has can be ingrained into an astral warrior. This customization can be taken multiple times and each time the ectopic artisan must choose a different blade skill.
Extra Menu A option: The astral warrior can be given another option from the Astral Construct Menu A. This customization can be taken once for every five levels the ectopic artisan has.

2-point customizations
Extra Menu B option: The astral warrior can be given another option from the Astral Construct Menu B. This customization can only be given at least at 7th level and taken once for every five levels the ectopic artisan has after.

3-point customizations
Extra Menu C option: The astral warrior can be given another option from the Astral Construct Menu C. This customization can be given at least at 17th level and can only be taken once.

4-pont customizations
Emergency Healer: If the ectopic artisan falls unconscious then the astral warrior will remain for a number of rounds equal to the ectopic artisan’s manifester level and do everything it can to save and heal the ectopic artisan. To this end the astral warrior is imbued with enough knowledge to recognize potions and how to operate a bag to retrieve one. The astral warrior still disappears if the ectopic artisan dies. This customization can only be given to astral warriors at least at 7th level.

Any comments and critiques are welcomed.

ThePurple
2016-06-07, 08:23 PM
Not sure if you knew this or not, but "ectopic" is actually already a word and it doesn't mean "relating to ectoplasm" like I'm pretty sure you think it means. It actually means "out of place" or "in an abnormal position" and is most commonly used to reference a pregnancy in which the zygote implants where it's not supposed to be.

Though it's one syllable longer, you should probably rename it to "ectoplasmic artisan".

SilverSavio
2016-06-07, 08:33 PM
"you should probably rename it to "ectoplasmic artisan".

Probably but that is the actual name for the archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/ectopic-artisan) in Ultimate Psionics from DSP, so blame the guy who named the archetype originally.

SilverSavio
2016-06-09, 03:44 AM
Hmmm....I've been thinking that this change might give the Astral Warrior too many Astral Construct menu options. Should I limit restrict the number of times that Extra Menu Option A and Extra Menu Option B can be taken...