PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need some help with a gunslinger PC

WilfredWhaleson
2016-06-07, 08:48 PM
So, I have been DMing a party of 5 for some time now and recently they leveled up to 11. The party's Pistolero just got a new deed, the Twin shot Knockdown, with which if he hits a single target with at least two shots (which he does, cause that's what Gunslingers do) they are knocked prone. No save, no size restriction, just knocks them prone, leaving them open to AoOs when they try to stand. This is starting to change the course of many battles, since they just started a campaign with mainly humanoid enemies.
Do you guys have any ideas that might make the encounters more interesting? I don't want to break his newly found ability or counter it entirely, just a few extra tricks up my sleeve to spice things up.

Thanks in advance.

Geddy2112
2016-06-07, 11:58 PM
There are a few classes that can beat this. Swashbucklers have kip up to stand as a swift action for a panache point, or a move action normally, neither provoking AoO's. There is also a monk quinggong power called ki stand, basically the same. Anyone with the monkey style can do this as well.

Likewise, throw in enemies like gelatinous cubes and other things that cant be knocked prone. Another gunslinger won't lose out on being prone, and casters can go prone for cover.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-06-08, 01:43 AM
More than a single enemy at a time? He's only level 11, he can't hit two opponents with 2 shots in one round. Likewise, enemies who don't really care about being on the ground or not, such as ranged attackers (they'd be AoO anyways) and Spellcasters (same) both don't mind being prone, besides the lack of mobility. I'm sure there are relatively cheap magic items that help with getting up from prone.

WilfredWhaleson
2016-06-08, 07:59 AM
More than a single enemy at a time? He's only level 11, he can't hit two opponents with 2 shots in one round.

As a pistolero, he dual-wields two pistols, meaning at 11 level, he can get 6 shots=3 targets.

Geddy2112
2016-06-08, 02:17 PM
Also consider incorporeal monsters. They are not subject to being knocked prone or any physical action that would manipulate their place, their AC is entirely touch(unless they have ghost touch armor) reducing the likelyhood the gunslinger can dakka them to paste, and they only take half damage from magical weapons(I assume a lvl 11 gunslinger has magical guns, if not normal guns won't do squat).

They can also be uber stealthy hiding in the walls and most are ghosts capable of seriously spooky touch attack damage.

You can put other defensive buffs to reduce the number of hits on a creature. Invisbility, blur, mirror image, displacement, blink, and other things to simply reduce the number of hits against the enemy.

WilfredWhaleson
2016-06-15, 09:51 PM
Incorporeal creatures are indeed a very good idea.

Though I must ask. Is there any rule or errata that prevents creatures some category size bigger than you to be tripped? I mean the way I see it, a gunslinger can trip a colossal creature as easily as a small one, maybe even easier considering the - to AC bonus because of the size.

Geddy2112
2016-06-15, 10:47 PM
Incorporeal creatures are indeed a very good idea.

Though I must ask. Is there any rule or errata that prevents creatures some category size bigger than you to be tripped? I mean the way I see it, a gunslinger can trip a colossal creature as easily as a small one, maybe even easier considering the - to AC bonus because of the size.

Plus ghosts are just awesome monsters IMO. They always have a story.

From the rules "You can attempt to trip your opponent in place of a melee attack. You can only trip an opponent who is no more than one size category larger than you. If you do not have the Improved Trip feat, or a similar ability, initiating a trip provokes an attack of opportunity from the target of your maneuver.

If your attack exceeds the target's CMD, the target is knocked prone. If your attack fails by 10 or more, you are knocked prone instead. If the target has more than two legs, add +2 to the DC of the combat maneuver attack roll for each additional leg it has. Some creatures—such as oozes, creatures without legs, and flying creatures—cannot be tripped."

However, twin shot knockdown is not a trip "Twin Shot Knockdown (Ex) At 11th level, when the pistolero hits a single target with two or more one-handed firearm attacks during her turn, she can spend 1 grit point to knock the target prone. She can choose to spend the grit point after the attacks are made. "

Start designing scenarios and environments where tripping is not going to save the day. Something attacking from right next to you will lose out on attack rolls from being prone, but it is already on you. Or a grapple, or something from cover, or a swarm, or some other effect you can't knock prone or where knocking something prone is not going to help.