PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Primal Path: Path of the Protector (PEACH)

JRDS
2016-06-07, 09:13 PM
THERE IS A FURY EVEN DEMONS FEAR. The rage of a mother protecting her young ones. A mother bear, a dragon guarding her wyrmlings, an octopus guarding her eggs. Who would dare to stand between the younglings, and the protector that would die for them? You would die if you were so bold.

-Balli O'gane, Philosophies of Nature

Primal Path

Rage burns in every barbarian’s heart, a furnace that drives him or her toward greatness. Different barbarians attribute their rage to different sources, however. For some, it is an internal reservoir where pain, grief, and anger are forged into a fury hard as steel. Others see it as a spiritual blessing, a gift of a totem animal.

Path of the Protector

Following the legendary example of the barbarian leader known as Ayem, those that follow the Path of the Protector are hailed as the most powerful bodyguards on the Material Plane. Ayem herself was called the mother of her people, and the way she devoted herself to them, guided them, and protected them, is an inspiration to all who hear the tale.

Protective Rage

At 3rd level, when you Rage, pick 1 ally within 15ft of you. As long as you remain within 15ft of that ally, all enemies within melee range of you have disadvantage on weapon attacks made against that ally. Every time that ally takes damage from an enemy or aggressive entity, you gain temporary health equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1). This temporary health disappears when your rage ends.

If you do not deal or take damage for a round, but your chosen ally takes damage, you can continue to rage. If that ally falls to 0 hit points while you are raging, you gain advantage on all attacks for your next turn; however your rage then ends at the end of your next turn, and you suffer from two levels of exhaustion.

Nurturing Instinct

At 6th level, when you take a short or long rest you can chose a number of allies less than or equal to your proficency bonus. You instantly become aware of the position of any of those allies within 100ft of you that are at or below 1/4rd of their health, relative to your position. Furthermore, your movement speed increases by 10ft for each ally that you sense in this way.

Familial Protection

At 10th level, when you Rage, you can select an additional ally to protect. Should you decide to protect 2 allies instead of 1, then you no longer gain temporary health when they are damaged, but the other effects of Protective Rage still apply.

Raging Retribution

At 14th level, while you are Raging, if an ally that you are protecting is being attacked by an enemy within range of your melee weapons, you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against that enemy.

Credits

This Primal Path was inspired by Almalexia (a.k.a. Ayem) from The Elder Scrolls series. She was a warrior princess who, upon being turned into a Living God by her companion Sotha Sil (a.k.a. Seht), became known as the Mother of Morrowind. She was the protector of her people, and it is said that in a direct fight she could best Sotha Sil and Vivec (a.k.a. Vehk), both great warriors in their own right.

Final Hyena
2016-06-08, 09:18 AM
Interesting class reminds me of an NPC faction I made based on the Bloodsworn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?459748-The-Bloodsworn-(Base-class)) but onto comments.

Protective Rage
Giving an ally within 15 ft dodge is maybe good enough on it's own.

Nurturing Instinct
This could get a little cheesy, I would put a limit on it for example 6 people chosen during a short rest?

Familial Protection
Again giving an ally within 15 ft dodge is likely good enough on its own.

JRDS
2016-06-09, 04:50 PM
Well, it's "half" a dodge action at best. You're only giving disadvantage to weapon attacks, and only if the enemy is next to -you-, not your ally. Your ally is also not getting advantage on dexterity checks and what have you. Is the concern that Protective Rage is too powerful because of the quasi-dodge?

I've modified Nurturing Instinct based on your feedback.

Thank you. :)

Final Hyena
2016-06-09, 05:09 PM
The problem is the temp hp, most other classes that offer such a boon (example death monk also 3rd level) tend to give it for bringing a creature to 0 rather than someone taking damage which is a big difference. Not to mention that's all they get while the protector gets a "limited dodge" on top of that. Which is for the most part almost as good as dodge, ac is a lot better than dex saves and threatening enemies as a barb is what you're supposed to be doing anyway.

JRDS
2016-06-09, 05:30 PM
What if I reduced the temp hp to be equal to Str or Con modifier, instead of Barb level + Con mod? This would mean a maximum of 7 (at level 20) temp HP.

I'm not against the temp HP part of the feature going away, mind you, just wondering if that is "good." In it's current state it's completely broken in comparison to, for example, the Monk of the Long Death, so I'm either going to change it to be equal to Con Mod or just remove it entirely.

Final Hyena
2016-06-09, 06:07 PM
Con mod would be fine.

Normally the level 10 barbarian feature isn't a super powerful one. Perhaps having it be you can choose to affect two targets for "limited dodge" or get 1 creature protected but double stat mod to temp hp.
If my terrible short hand made sense.

JRDS
2016-06-11, 09:11 AM
I've changed the temp hp to "con mod (min 1)" and changed the level 10 to say that if you select 2 allies, that you no longer gain temp hp but the other effects apply.