PDA

View Full Version : Character Build Help: Half-Elf Warlock-Fighter

Seek For Truth
2016-06-07, 11:10 PM
Race: Half-Elf
Fighter Archetype: Eldritch Knight
Warlock Boon: Pact of the Blade
Warlock Patron: Great Old One

Stats I have to assign (before racial modifiers).

What are your thoughts on some neat things you can do with this premise?

R.Shackleford
2016-06-08, 12:25 AM

With those stats and class combos really you should go Fighter 1/Warlock X. Maybe fighter 2 if you want to delay the Warlock side.

Eldritch Knight doesn't give you enough to make up losing out on Warlock stuff.

Your ability scores kinda suck for what you are trying to do. I feel like if you choose either EK or Warlock you will have a better time.

Edit: Not that you can't have fun with it but you seem to be multiclassing for the sake of multiclassing and will just get a character with a bunch of low level abilities that all essentially focus around the same thing.

bid
2016-06-08, 12:49 AM
Bladelock is mostly useless with EK. Sure bladelock 12 does barely more damage than EK 11 but it won't work with bow. You are much better with tomelock or chainlock.

Best combo is GFB + war magic, total 2d12+10 (2 Str attack) + 2-4-6d8+5 (Cha GFB 5-11-17). You need EK 7 and it works with every warlock pact.

You cannot go Str/heavy armor with a 2-hander or a polearm, your stats are too weak. (14 13 14 9 11 16)

Dex DPR is weaker but tomelock shillelagh + dueling style allows you to keep Dex14 for medium armor. (11 14 14 9 13 16) If you use a shield, you will need warcaster.
- fighter 1 <- medium armor and Con save
- fighter 1 / tomelock 3 <- you can hit things with shillelagh
- fighter 5 / tomelock 3 <- you get your extra attack

Longcat
2016-06-08, 01:15 AM
Go Eldritch Knight 7/Warlock Rest. This allows you to use War Magic to cast Eldritch Blast as an action and follow it up with a Bonus Action attack.

Malifice
2016-06-08, 03:47 AM

Go fighter at 1st level (con saves, heavy armor). Consider Fiend pact (its better for blade locks).

Stats:
Str: 13 (14)
Dex: 11
Con: 13 (14)
Int: 9
Wis: 13
Cha: 14 (16)

Take defence fighting style. Wear heavy armor. Use a polearm or greatsword. From levels 2-6 take 5 levels of Warlock. Select Great weapon master or polearm master (as desied) at 5th (warlock 4) level. Select invocations as desired.

If it was me, I'd go a vuman (take Great weapon master or polearm master) fiend lock and go with:

Stats:
Str: 13 (14)
Dex: 11
Con: 13 (14)
Int: 9
Wis: 13
Cha: 14

Take defence fighting style. Wear heavy armor. Use a greatsword or plolearm. From levels 2-6 take 5 levels of Warlock. Select great weapon master at 5th (warlock 4) level if you picked polearm master at 1st, or take warcaster otherwise (Heavy armor mastery is also a valid choice depending on how mook heavy your DM is). Select invocations as desired (no brainers being thirsting blade at 6th (Warlock 5) level, and devils sight and agonising blast at 3rd (Warlock 2) level. Cantrips are greenflame blade and Eldritch bast. Spells are Hex, Hellish rebuke and whatever. Fireball at 6th (Warlock 5).

Tactics: Kill stuff with your greatsword (with Greenflame blade + Hex from 2nd), relying on GWM and its bonus action attack as needed. From 2nd level you're gaining temp HP on any kill, and having a bonus action second wind every short rest to stay up (combos really well with heavy armor master). At 4th level mirror image comes online, at 5th your feat and a bonus d8 damage from greenflame blade pops into action, and at 6th level, youre spamming fireballs and atacking twice with thirsting blade.

From there, dip back into fighter (battle master) for 2 levels for action surge, 4 superiorty dice (precise strike, tripping strike, riposte).

Then back to warlock for the rest of your levels.

djreynolds
2016-06-08, 08:57 AM
3 levels of EK does one thing, access to spamming the shield spell for +5 AC. A bigger deal than one thinks.

Paladin warlock could be cool, if not overdone.

Ghost Nappa
2016-06-08, 09:45 AM
I don't really recommend the combination. EK wants to dump CHA for INT and Warlocks want to dump INT for CHA; the multi-classing combination doesn't work as well as going straight into either one, and there are better MCing choices for both EK (Wizard 1) and Warlock (Bard, Paladin, Sorcerer).

But at the end of the day, it's your call. I'm going to recommend w/ the following:

STR: 9 (-1)
DEX: 13+1 (+2)
CON: 13+1 (+2)
INT: 11 (+0)
WIS: 13 (+1)
CHA: 14+2 (+3)

Use a finesse weapon like a Shortsword or Rapier. Eldritch Knight wants INT for certain spells, but it isn't a requirement and you can with a little planning dump it all together. You satisfy the requirements for MCing and your stats are decent.

I'd recommend EK first to get the more important CON save fo free, and to stick with it for five levels before doing anything else. I would actually recommend going EK 5 / Bladelock 4 / and then picking up another 3 levels of EK and 8 of Bladelock for a grand total of 6 ASI's, but to be honest I'm kind really sure that this is going to be worth the effort in the end. I really think you're better off picking one or the other.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-08, 10:28 AM
3 levels of EK does one thing, access to spamming the shield spell for +5 AC. A bigger deal than one thinks.

Paladin warlock could be cool, if not overdone.

Not when you already have a high AC. Shield will be nice but you won't be spamming it.

Fighter 1 gives you armor and shield profs. 18 AC at level one is fantastic and you don't really much else until late levels.

At that point the enemies you don't want hitting you are going to hit you quite easily or use saving throw options and totally bypass your AC.

AC is mostly for dealing with low to mid CR creatures which 18-20 does just fine.