PDA

View Full Version : Herbalism Kit

AmayaElls
2016-06-08, 01:30 AM
I've just started a new campaign, it's going to be interesting as we have only two PCs.

Due to this I do plan to be using all the benefits I can from my proficiencies, especially my herbalism kit. I know I can use it to make potions of healing, but what else can I do with it?

(Feel free to suggest things not necessarily in the base game, I'm pretty sure our DM is open to reasonable home brew)

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-08, 02:24 AM
I would say that a herbalist's kit could be used to create the vast majority of potions and a handful of poisons. Some (Oil of Slipperiness and Oil of Sharpness, perhaps) are clearly alchemical, but most I'd say could be made by either alchemy or herbalism.

Besides that, I think the herbalist's kit could be used to make inks and dyes, including magical ones, antitoxins and incense. Soap, too, unless you're playing a dwarf. And perfume, though you may need to hunt some whales if you want to make any of that. Basically anything in real life that could be marketed as 'herbal' or 'natural'.

Knowing your herbalism could also help with wilderness survival; perhaps you would know that a certain herb only grows next to fresh, clean water, or this leaf gives off brightly-coloured smoke when you burn it.

AmayaElls
2016-06-09, 04:58 PM
Thank you, I'll have a talk to my DM about what other potions I can make, being a wizard might help with the ones that seem like they should require some magic. Though since neither of us have high survival finding ingredients might be interesting.

RickAllison
2016-06-09, 08:51 PM
Thank you, I'll have a talk to my DM about what other potions I can make, being a wizard might help with the ones that seem like they should require some magic. Though since neither of us have high survival finding ingredients might be interesting.

Some potions of questionable combat use would be great fodder for herbalism. How about a sleeping potion that is effectively magic NyQuil (I.e. a sleep aid rather than a sedative)? Flavor potions that allow for a family on a budget to enjoy their gruel and slightly-rotten meat more for a year? Painkillers? Caffeine? Look at modern medicines and make their magical equivalents!

Falcon X
2016-06-10, 11:49 AM
If you can get the DM to approve homebrew, this fan supplement is really cool:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CIGCMCtoETVmhDNEZMbUVweTg/view?pref=2&pli=1

MadGrady
2016-06-10, 12:01 PM
I had my fighter use one to make an herbal poultice let him make a medicine check with proficiency to stabilize a dying comrade

Regitnui
2016-06-10, 02:46 PM
Recipe Crafting for Consumables (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171344/Recipe-Crafting-for-Consumables) has great suggestions for using the crafting kits. This is, of course, if your DM allows homebrew.

Coidzor
2016-06-11, 02:52 AM
I suppose you could make various qualities of perfume.

Traditional herbal medicines would also be an option.

Dalebert
2016-06-11, 11:58 AM
I had my fighter use one to make an herbal poultice let him make a medicine check with proficiency to stabilize a dying comrade

*shrug* You can do that automatically, no check needed, with one use of a Healer's Kit. Every character I've ever made spends the 5gp out of their limited starting money because it's just too useful.

I've been letting my herbalist replenish his healer's kits using fungus and such he finds in the Underdark for when he's in between places where he can buy them. He uses them along with the healer feat.