PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Succeeding With The Codex of Infinite Planes

Death_Lord12
2016-06-08, 10:13 AM
So the Codex of Infinite Planes is obviously pretty dangerous, but would just a few magic items and being Undead make you automatically bypass all the dangers? Here's my though process:

When you first open the book, you're subject to the Destruction spell. So because Destruction is a death effect, an Undead user would be immune to that right?

The next danger would be the chance of insanity while studying the book, but the Insanity spell is a Compulsion, Mind-Affecting spell, which Undead are also immune to.

Probably the biggest danger is the chance of Catastrophe if you don't succeed both a Concentration and Spellcraft check (DC 40 + twice spell level of the power). The highest DC would then be 58 for the 9th level spells (40 + (2*9)). So, imagine I have an Undead with Concentration and Spellcraft skill modifiers of 31 (this is ranks, synergies, and ability modifiers, so no magic items). Because of the fact that you don't automatically fail skill checks on a natural 1, the lowest roll this character could achieve for those rolls would be 32, which is 26 short of the 58 DC needed for 9th level spells. So what if I just get two magic items, one that gives a +26 competence bonus to Concentration, and another that gives a +26 competence bonus to Spellcraft. Would this work to automatically succeed?

From my understanding competence skill bonuses in a magic item cost bonus squared times 100 gp, so 26*26 = 676, 676*100 = 67600, 67600*2 = 135200 gp for those two items. Am I right with that? And does this mean an Undead user with those items is completely safe and able to learn all of those powers and use them at will with no issues?