PDA

View Full Version : just gain a really good item, but not sure if its two powerful

Nosta
2016-06-08, 11:01 AM
the Item(s) In question is part of a item set.

The first is a +2 weightless fullplate with the following
+6 to str, dex & con
+4 to all physical skills
+20 land speed

the second is a +3 sizing collision great-spear with the following
+20 res to fire, cold and lighting and DR 10 over come by nothing (the best part of this is i can as a free action grant the res and Dr to as ally with in 60 ft

so just curious for a level 12 character how op is this and what woulds be the gp worth of these items ?

Flickerdart
2016-06-08, 11:20 AM
They're very, very nice. I would not call them overpowered - having these items will not break the game - but since they have a bunch of custom properties (shareable DR?) it will be hard to estimate their GP value.

For example, a regular suit of +2 full plate is 5,650gp. +6 to an ability score is 36,000gp each. +4 to a skill is 1600gp each. I'm not sure there's an existing property for "weightless" or the land speed bonus.

Gildedragon
2016-06-08, 11:27 AM
My gut feeling is that is waaaay over wbl. Seeing how lvl 12 is 88,000 gp and a bit of guesstimation around ability pricing... My gut is right. The armor by itself is pushing (past) epic costs

Eisirt
2016-06-08, 11:53 AM
Yeah, they are too powerful.

Even on a lvl 20 character they would be.

Deadline
2016-06-08, 12:05 PM
The first is a +2 weightless fullplate with the following

+2 Full Plate costs: 5,650

Don't know how to cost the weightless, but it doesn't really provide any benefit other than not taking up carrying capacity.

+6 to str, dex & con

As Flickerdart points out, each of these is 36,000gp. So 108,000gp for the three of them. Also, the Dex bonus is mostly pointless, because of the +1 Max Dex bonus on Full Plate. Also, the Armor Check Penalty of -6 hurts as far as skills are concerned. You also don't mention the type of this bonus. The traditional type is Enhancement (which is what the 36,000gp cost assumes). Different types could be more expensive.

+4 to all physical skills

As Flickerdart mentions, these are 1,600gp each (again assuming these are Competence bonuses). You don't mention what qualify as physical skills, so let's just assume you mean all the skills that Armor Check Penalty applies to, for a total of 9 skills, meaning this comes to 14,400gp.

+20 land speed

Difficult to price, as most movement enhancers are based on a continuous spell item. Boots of Striding and Springing, for example, are based on the Longstrider spell.

So, not counting the speed increase or the weightlessness, this comes to 128,050gp.

the second is a +3 sizing collision great-spear with the following

This costs: 55,325gp

+20 res to fire, cold and lighting and DR 10 over come by nothing (the best part of this is i can as a free action grant the res and Dr to as ally with in 60 ft

No idea on the cost of the shareable property or the DR, but the resistance portion of it comes to: 84,000gp

So without the shareable property or the DR (which is likely to be enormous in cost, as DR 5/Evil is 76,000gp), this comes to: 139,325gp.

so just curious for a level 12 character how op is this and what woulds be the gp worth of these items ?

A 12th level character couldn't afford either of these items, let alone both of them. You'd need to be 14th level to afford just one of them, and 17th level to afford both (which would be most of your WBL). That's assuming you dropped the DR and shareable properties from the weapon and the weightlessness and speed bonuses from the armor. With those, I don't even know.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-08, 12:49 PM
The base price of the items is pretty high, but what they are actually worth is a different question. Magic item guidelines tend to massively overprice DR, for example. DR 5/-- costs about 80.000 gp, but for that money you can be immune to critical hits and death effects and energy drain (+1 soulfire buckler and +1 heavy fortification armour, or something like that), which is way, way better. Actually, for 80.000 gp, you can just buy a 20th-level barbarian and eat their brain to steal their DR, that's how crazy overpriced the armour enchantment is. Hell, you can raise a barbarian to steal their DR. Hmm, barbarian farm. Make a note of that, Darling.

That doesn't change that a free action share of DR 10/-- at level 12 is pretty significant, as even at 25% cost for DR, that's around 40.000 gp in DR per target affected. It's definitely way over WBL, and much stronger, at least in pure numbers, than anything printed in official books, I think. Now, if it was based on shield other/share pain, that would be different, and more interesting. For example, a spear that casts vampiric touch on each target you hit, and also affects all your allies with share pain (can't be disabled). That's useful for a tank, and it fits with an AoO tank, because it recharges your temp hp pool during other people's turns.

Telonius
2016-06-08, 01:25 PM
For the "weightless" armor, I'd say that more closely resembles a continuous Luminous Armor spell than any actual piece of equipment. Does this thing have a spell failure chance? If not, every spellcaster in the world is going to want one. (Concentration is a physical skill...)

theboss
2016-06-08, 06:25 PM
This is way too powerful and out of wbl...

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-08, 06:30 PM
For the "weightless" armor, I'd say that more closely resembles a continuous Luminous Armor spell than any actual piece of equipment. Does this thing have a spell failure chance? If not, every spellcaster in the world is going to want one. (Concentration is a physical skill...)

Couldn't one claim that every skill other then the social ones, the knowledge skills, spellcraft or speak language is a physical skill? I mean, even with appraise you usually touch the dang thing.

KillianHawkeye
2016-06-08, 07:18 PM
Those are the most ridiculous items I have ever seen. :smalleek:

A_S
2016-06-08, 07:24 PM
Those are the most ridiculous items I have ever seen. :smalleek:
Those are very far from the most ridiculous items I've ever seen. They at least provide well-defined benefits, most of which are existing item properties or closely related to existing item properties, and all of which are basically just numbers bonuses. The most ridiculous items I've ever seen are things like...well...Candle of Invocation comes to mind.

They are, however, far too good for a level 12 PC in a game that's trying to stick to anything resembling standard WBL.

*edit* Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?413259-Weapon-that-can-unleash-spells-on-hit) is a suggestion for a weapon property which I would consider far more ridiculous than these items.

Telonius
2016-06-09, 05:15 AM
Couldn't one claim that every skill other then the social ones, the knowledge skills, spellcraft or speak language is a physical skill? I mean, even with appraise you usually touch the dang thing.

I suppose you could, but I'm assuming it means any Str-, Dex-, or Con-based skill. (So things like UMD, Survival, and Heal wouldn't be affected).