PDA

View Full Version : Waking the Dragon Retcon IC

Jeff the Green
2016-06-08, 04:06 PM
Maybe three quarters of an hour after you've arrived you are each sought out by another warforged servant. This one, unlike any of the servers, wears nothing but the dull adamantine armor he was created with and moves with the sort of surety and directness one associates with former military officers. "Drake will see you now, in his cabin." He points to the barge farthest from the bank, nearly twice as broad as the others with a cabin as large as some houses, before going off to find the others.

Once you arrive at the cabin you are shown in by another warforged that could be the twin of the one who fetched you—if, of course, they had been born rather than manufactured. For the cabin of a pleasure barge it is decidedly utilitarian. It is divided by paper curtains, and the space you walk into—which you estimate must comprise a good half of the cabin—is dominated by a conference table surrounded by chairs, all made of rich woods but in a rather spartan style. In the far corner is a desk covered in paperwork and illluminated by a single artificer's lamp, where a man—your host, presumably—sits scrawling on parchment. He finishes with a flourish and then rises to greet you.

"Come, come," he says, gesturing to the table. "Please have a seat. I trust you ate? I can send for some more refreshments if you wish."

He sends off one of the adamantine-clad brothers to fetch what you require, as well as some dinner for himself, before taking a seat at the head of the conference table. As he comes closer and into better lighting you can tell that he is very much not an attractive man. His dark hair falls lank to his shoulders and his face reminds one of nothing so much as a water-logged corpse. His eyes are rheumy and his lips pale, and his ears, though the normal leaf shape of his race, stick almost straight out from his head. His fingers are stained with ink, as is the corner of his mouth where he's sucked his quill. Nonetheless, he moves with the grace of a fencer and his voice is deep and resonant. He wears a black silk doublet and hose, along with a mink half-cape.

"I hope you'll excuse the subterfuge of my letter," he apologizes as he sits. "I'm afraid that what I have to ask of you is something I cannot afford to have my family's enemies know about, and no letter service is entirely reliable.

"My nephew, Albrich, is an idiot, a drunk, and an inveterate gambler, but my sister is fond of him for some reason I cannot fathom. He got it into his fool head that he was an intrepid adventurer and organized an expedition to Xen'drik. Some place called the Granite Pyramid or some nonsense like that. He raised the money and set sail, and now his troll is regenerating."

He points at a glass jar on his desk that contains a bit of nauseating green flesh and you notice that it ripples and bubbles as if animated by an unclean spirit. "I told his mother I'd keep track of him, so I gave him a troll-gut rope and told him to untie it if he got in trouble. That makes the whole thing die, you see, and the next largest bit of the troll starts regenerating. I was in counterintel in the Last War, and Karrnathi agents used the same trick. Trust them to come up with something needlessly disgusting to perform a simple task. But it works, and gut-rope's useful besides.

"Anyway, when his troll's spleen started to crawl around I had my chaplain perform a sending. The padre said Albrich got the message, which means he'd not dead, but didn't answer, which means he's either in trouble or reverted to adolescence. We've tried divination, but nothing's worked. Might be he's protected, or maybe he's somewhere the mages can't see. I have no clue where he got to, nor who else he might have hired in Stormreach, and I don't have any factors on the continent at the moment. I need someone to go figure out what happened and bring him back."

He leans back in his chair, chewing his lip for a moment. "I'm willing to pay a goodly sum—50,000 Galifars each, in coin or gems as you prefer. Or services in kind, of course; you'll find my house quite able to assist you in ways that coin cannot. More if you can figure out what my idiot nephew was trying to get and return it so I can get his patrons off my poor sister's back."

Khosan
2016-06-09, 11:23 AM
Mili lifts her glass to her mask and takes a drink, the wine somehow slowly draining into the mask. With a contented sigh, she leans forward in her seat and starts with the all important questions.

"Are we the first ones you've come to?" She adjusts her mask and offers a quick glance to each of the others seated at the table. "Could be trouble, especially if you're putting money like that on the line. Bounty hunters can be a very greedy bunch." Besides, who hires some of the most powerful people in the Four Nations at the first sign of trouble?

"Second of all," she points at Starlight and Adastreia, "Why them? I'm sorry if I'm just uninformed on the matter, but I'm not sure if a magical artisan and a comedian are the right choice for this. No offense meant, I've seen you perform," she makes a motion with the hand pointing towards the elf, then points with both hands towards the blue-haired woman, "and I think I'm wearing a pair of your shoes. I respect what you two do, but I can't imagine you on a mission like this." Not that she didn't have some idea of the answer, but it was a convenient and simple way to suss it out of them.

Lateral
2016-06-09, 11:26 AM
Ada leans back in her chair and laughs. "No offense taken, of course. Though for a supposed 'champion of good' in this world, it might do you good to keep more abreast with its goings-on. You ever wonder why a simple comedienne might have needed both of her arms replaced? Or, for that matter, how a simple artisan gets into a feud with an entire Dragonmarked House? Trust me, everyone in this room is a bigger player than they might seem. Some," here she glances meaningfully at Starlight, "rather a lot bigger. Suffice it to say, this won't be my first trip to the jungles of Xen'drik, nor my first search-and-rescue."

"That said," Ada says as she leans in conspiratorially, "the lady has a point. It wouldn't do for this to turn into a competition. Wouldn't be safe. For us, or for him."

"Aside from that... you really have no information on his location? No divinations of any kind? Between the five of us, we might have access to some tricks you may not have, so if there's anything you haven't been able to try... there's nothing more dangerous than flying blind. Speaking of, we'll need to know everything his patrons know about his intentions. I trust you can put us into contact with them?"

Jeff the Green
2016-06-09, 11:26 AM
D'Lyrandar gives Mili an amused smile and gestures at Adastreia and Starlight to introduce themselves.

Morcleon
2016-06-09, 11:27 PM
"Oh?" Starlight chuckles softly at Ada's pointed comment and gives her an innocent smile. She wasn't surprised that someone knew about her true nature, but it certainly wasn't something that she wanted advertised everywhere. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Turning back to Mili, the blue haired artisan in question takes a sip from her wine glass and crosses her legs. "None taken. It's a simple misconception, but magical crafting does require a rather intense dedication to magic itself. The easist form of that is, of course, the spell. Any magical artisan worth their salt is also a mage of some sort." She smiles again, the paragon of innocence. "And some, though I know not who, are quite adept at the casting arts..."

Jeff the Green
2016-06-09, 11:30 PM
"Suffice it to say, Miss Alpentail, I have every confidence that the five of you are capable of finding my nephew. None of you will be dead weight.

"As for your questions," he adds with a grimace, "yes, we have no information. I'm not an expert, but I have a friend in Medani who arranged the divinations for me and I can certainly put you in touch with him, and with Albrich's sponsors, though I'm led to believe that there are certain dweomers that can block such magic. It wouldn't surprise me if Albrich spent some of his mother's gold on such trivialities.

"And no, you're not the first I've sent. I sent two others before you: Lia of Norinath and Art the Artisan. Not quite of your calibre, to be certain, but more than competent. You shouldn't have any trouble with them; we haven't had any problem divining the location of their bodies."

Lia of Norinath is a Revenant Blade, one of the best there is. She's a sword for hire and known to be bloodthirsty, but also quite reliable. (She's about level 10.)

Art is a warforged artificer based in Wroat, the capital of Breland. He's particularly known for the chasings he uses on the armor he creates and the augmentations he's added to his own body. He's very wealthy, having been the sole survivor of an extremely successful expedition to the Mournlands shortly after the signing of the Treaty of Thronehold. (He's also about level 10.)

Jeff the Green
2016-06-10, 06:56 PM
"A serious matter indeed then, if Art has not been heard from." Alfred leans back, stroking his beard. "Of course, I cannot speak for the others, but I am willing to make an effort. Matters elsewhere have been quiet enough lately that I think I can divert my attention to helping this young man and those with him. I can attempt my own divinations while we travel, though I doubt I will find much more if the place is so warded. Perhaps I can break the ward once we are closer. Any record left regarding this granite pyramid? Seems the obvious place to start."

D'Lyrandar shrugs. "It's entirely possible," he responds to Alfred. "But if so, I haven't been able to find it. Granted, I haven't looked terribly hard, so you might find something relatively quickly or his backers might know something."

"Can you tell us anything of his backers? Best to begin at the beginning; no amount of rushing to the wrong place will be of use."

"They're all morons," d'Lyrandar says emphatically. "Other than that, not much. One of my factors—Alain, I think, in Sharn—sent me a list, but I've never heard of any of them." He rises and goes to his desk, where he rummages among the papers and drawers. "Ah, here it is," he exclaims after a few moments. "'Sigismund Thul, Syele Taggert, Gustavus "Gus" Gothgut, Geldark d'Kundarak, Zranerthin d'Kundarak, and Laren ir'Lonn.'"

The names are largely Karrnathi (Thul, Taggert, and Gothgut) and Dwarf (d'Kundarak, the dwarven dragonmarked house), but Laren ir'Lonn is a Brelish name (and, based on the "ir" prefix, a noble one).
Gustavus Gothgut is a Karrnathi bravo with little claim to fame other than having a wealthy family.
Geldark d'Kundarak is a member of House Kundarak with a minor administrative roll but a prominent (and wealthy) mother.
Laren ir'Lonn is a minor noble from Northern Breland who just inherited his father's estate.
Zranerthin d'Kundarak is a member of House Kundarak and heir to a large fortune.

Lateral
2016-06-13, 08:43 PM
Ada nods thoughtfully. "Yeah, that figures. A bunch of wealth-adjacent yahoos. No wonder they're on your back, they're probably financing this expedition with family loans. I doubt they know anything of interest, but it couldn't hurt to speak with them nonetheless." She sighs. "Can't be too careful. I knew Lia, from way back. She's... she was solid. If she couldn't handle this, then whatever your nephew got mixed up with is serious, and every bit of information counts."

Khosan
2016-06-14, 12:06 AM
Mili shrugs at Ada's response, "I try to keep my eyes open, but I can't always see everything. If you both say you're prepared and Mister D'Lyandar here believes you're up for the task, I'll believe you. I don't know what you're capable of beyond a good joke, so I'll reserve judgment until I see what else you can do. Just let me know if you change your mind." Her eyes smile politely through her mask, her tone filled with equal parts genuine concern and sarcastic condescension. She then turns to Starlight, regarding her with a fair bit more politeness, "I'll take your word on it. Same offer stands though - should things become dangerous and you require a way out, I am more than willing to facilitate one. I wouldn't be much of a 'champion of good,'" she shoots a sidelong glance back at Ada, "if I didn't do everything in my power to protect the innocent."

"Does your sister know about his disappearance yet? Might she know anything? Would she have sent her own people after him?" She stares up at the ceiling as she lets loose her barrage of questions, clearly just rattling off whatever pops into her head. "Any known associates? Other close relatives? Favorite bars, gambling dens, anywhere he spent a lot of time?" She shakes her head, rattling her mask around, "Just thinking out loud." She re-centers her mask, "I doubt we'd get much useful information out of his drinking buddies, but you never know."

"Also, is there any chance of us getting some of the money in advance? I could use a few scrolls and I'm sure Art and Lia would appreciate having money for a trip home if we can find them and bring them back to life."

Morcleon
2016-06-14, 10:08 PM
Starlight's grin just grows wider at Mili's response, an amused gleam in her eye, clearly laughing at some inside joke. "While I appreciate the sentiment, Miss Mili, I suspect it may be I who swoops in to save you. Still, your heart is in the right place, and I will accept your aid should I find myself in a predicament."

"Yahoos they may be, but even ones such as them could be part of a larger plot. Any connections to your nephew should definitely be investigated. Of course, there is also the possibility that it wasn't your nephew in particular who was targeted by this, but that he was simply the most convenient target..." She groans and stretches her arms up before resting them down on the arms of her chair. "We just don't have enough information right now to do more than guess.