PDA

View Full Version : A reason to play mundanes

arkangel111
2016-06-08, 05:10 PM
So I am working on a homebrew world. As some of you may know I am tackling the enormous task of severely limiting magic, including death squads designed to fight magic users and special creatures meant to hunt them.
I am looking at implementing spheres of magic into the world, since it seems better balanced. Additionally, due to the nature of the world the anti-caster feeling is such that magic items are almost non-existant as well. Unfortunately this is more of a nerf against mundanes than against caster's.
If I implemented SoP and I gave pure mundanes the following for free would a caster and a mundane be of equal value in a party? if not how can I better balance it.

Vow against Magic - If a character ever gains a level in a magic using class, or gains a spell-like ability they lose all benefits.

1st - AC bonus +2, Bonus Feat
2nd - Bonus Feat
3rd - endure elements
4th - Enhanced strike +1 (magic), Bonus Feat
5th - Spell resistance 10
6th - AC bonus +3, deflection +1, Bonus Feat
7th - Resistance +1, ability score enhancement +2
8th - Natural armor +1, mind shielding, Bonus Feat
9th - Spell resistance 15
10th - Enhanced strike +2 (good), damage reduction 1/-, Bonus Feat
11th - Ability score enhancement +4/+2
12th - AC bonus +4, deflection +2, Bonus Feat
13th - Resistance +2, energy resistance 5
14th - Enhanced strike +3, Bonus Feat, Spell resistance 20
15th - ability score enhancement +6/+4/+2, damage reduction 2/-
16th - Natural armor +2, Bonus Feat
17th - Enhanced strike +4, resistance +3
18th - AC bonus +5, deflection +3, Bonus Feat
19th - Ability score enhancement +8/+6/+4/+2, damage reduction 5/-, Spell resistance 25
20th - Enhanced strike +5, energy resistance 15, Bonus Feat

AC Bonus - This is an enhancement to armor that stacks with armor bonus
Bonus Feat - Must be a feat which you meet the qualifications for
Endure elements - He can exist comfortably in conditions between -50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make Fortitude saves.
Enhanced Strike - At 4th level, an ascetic gains a +1 enhancement bonus on all his attack and damage rolls. In effect, any weapon the character wields becomes a +1 magic weapon, and can overcome the damage reduction of a creature as though it were a magic weapon. This enhancement bonus rises to +2 at 10th level, to +3 at 14th level, to +4 at 17th level, and to +5 at 20th level. At 10th level, any weapon damage the character deals is also considered to be good-aligned, so that it can bypass the damage reduction of some evil outsiders.
Spell Resistance - A creature can voluntarily lower its spell resistance. Doing so is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Once a creature lowers its resistance, it remains down until the creature’s next turn. At the beginning of the creature’s next turn, the creature’s spell resistance automatically returns unless the creature intentionally keeps it down (also a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity).
Deflection - receives a +1 deflection bonus to his Armor Class, increasing as shown on table.
Resistance - he gains a +1 resistance bonus on all saving throws. This bonus increases to +2 at 13th level, and to +3 at 17th level.
Ability Score Enhancement - At 7th level, he a +2 enhancement bonus to one ability score. At 11th level, he gains an extra +2 bonus to that score, and a +2 bonus to another ability score. At 15th level, he gains an extra +2 bonus to those two scores, and a +2 bonus to a third ability score. At 19th level, he gains an extra +2 bonus to those three scores, and a +2 bonus to a fourth ability score.
Natural armor bonus - At 8th level, he gains a +1 natural armor bonus, or his existing natural armor bonus increases by +1. It increases an extra +1 at 16th level.
Damage Reduction - He gains damage reduction 1/- at 10th level. At 15th level, this improves to 2/-, and at 19th level to 5/-. This stacks with existing DR.
Energy Resistance - At 13th level, he gains resistance 5 to acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic energy. At 20th level, this increases to resistance 15.

All abilities gained are Ex.

So at level 20 a character would have the following
+10 AC (+5 Armor, +3 Deflection, +2 NA)
+11 Feats
Constant Endure elements
+5 enhancement to weapon
SR 25
+3 resistance bonus to all saving throws
+8 / +6 / +4 / +2 enhancement to stats
DR 5/-
Energy resistance 15 Acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic

This should look familiar to many. effectively VoP with some things changed.