PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming Building a world around the rulebooks

the_david
2016-06-08, 06:35 PM
This is just a thought exercise. What if you filled a campaign setting with everything from the (core) rulebooks? The thought occurs to me everytime I read a module. I seem to find tons of new feats, spells and monsters that are apparently necessary, even though they turn DMing into a chore. My inspiration also comes from the Eberron campaign setting, where there is room for every option from every rulebook, and Golarion, which has mini campaign settings for different genres like Numeria and Alkenstar.

So the challenge is to create a setting with just the core rules. In this case it's gonna be the Pathfinder Core Rulebook and the Bestiary. This is just theoretical (for now) but this limited setting is not meant to inhibit the players or the DM. It just forms the basis for things you might expect to find in the world.

So to start:
- Deities will have 5 domains. This includes the appropriate domains for their alignment. They also need a favorite weapon.
- Sorcerer bloodlines can be literal bloodlines, with sorcerous families taking up prominent places in this setting. The Destined bloodline would be a good example of this. The problem with this is that if every race has access to every bloodline you'd quickly get a very large number of nobles and upperclass citizens casting spells.
- Every magic item in the CRB would also be present in the world. This would include the Deck of Many Things. I'm sure that's not a good thing.

the_david
2016-06-19, 04:49 AM
I'm a little bit dissapointed by the lack of response, but maybe I just have to try harder and give this thread a little bump.

- More on bloodlines. It occurred to me that you could tie a bloodline to a powerful dragon. You could then tie in the half-dragon, sorcerers and dragon disciples.
- I've had the idea of turning monks into an army of disciplined soldiers. Imagine the fire nation army. Something like that, but with martial arts.

SirBellias
2016-06-19, 07:15 PM
The Deck of Many Things is never a good thing. Maybe it is guarded by some sort of neutral God, who makes those who want to try their fate be tested to prove their worthiness?

I think part of the reason people aren't responding is that there is a lot of stuff in pathfinder, and putting it all into a cohesive setting sounds... Painful. To me, at least. Sorry I couldn't contribute anything more useful.

avr
2016-06-19, 09:36 PM
If you just want a world which can contain anything in the
PF core rulebook and first bestiary, why not use Golarion or Eberron or Greyhawk or whatever? It's easy enough to make replacements if necessary.

In the 'challenge' as given, there's no image of what you want in my mind.

Ursus Spelaeus
2016-06-19, 11:09 PM
I've been jotting notes down for a similar idea, except that I'm building a world around Expanded Psionics Handbook, Tome of Battle, and Magic of Incarnum only with Player's Handbook stuff largely excluded.