PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spell-Less Ranger: New Fighter, Rogue Archetypes, Feat

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-06-08, 08:27 PM
So apparently Mike Mearles has said that new spell-less ranger options would be released as Fighter or Rogue Archetypes (https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/739665807714590724).

After hearing that and discussing the matter with one of my players, I've decided to try that same approach to homebrewing.

This link (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B002m2_KROanS05LR3hZZ0g5OG8) will take you to a google drive where you can see the Fighter (Warden) and Rogue (Scout) archetypes, as well as a feat for gaining a true animal companion.

This is a rough first draft! So I desperately need as much criticism as possible if I am ever to improve the ideas here! Don't doom my players to unfiltered homebrew!

Final Hyena
2016-06-09, 08:45 AM
A fairly solid list, can't think of any immediate concerns, just nice sub classes!
Although how do attack of opportunities work for animal companions, obviously they need to use a reaction, but do you?
Edit; perhaps give animal companions magical strikes at 6 or 7th level?
Also the bonus HP might be a bit much of a meat shield.

Oh as to why ranger is not liked, the main class supports focus fire with hunters mark. The only decent archetype adds to this with colossus slayer which is the most popular choice, but the level 11 slot (which should be a nifty boon) gives you an option to hit multiple targets. That doesn't mesh with the previous combat direction. Also level 1 the most commonly played in level is pretty bad. Not to mention at level 17 there is an awesome spell to support archers, there isn't any for dual wielders.

All you got to do is move fighting style to first level.
Add in a new multi attack option say "Pinpoint Strikes" (every successful weapon attack after the first in one turn against a single creature deals an extra 3d6 damage of the same type). With 3 attacks (TWF) you get an average of 1.794 hits a round (with a 60% hit chance on each) meaning a damage increase of (3d6~10.5*0.794) 8.337 which isn't accounting for lost damage if you kill before that point and so should be a reasonable option.
Add in an equivalent for swift quiver for offhand attacks.

>.>
<.<
That was a bit of a tangent.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-09, 11:35 AM
Normally for companions, AoO only consume the companions reaction, not yours. The reaction is the one action that isn't shared. Hope it helps.

As for the companion healing idk how I feel about it. I think maybe it has its own HD (like d4's or d6's) and recovers normally from there. It being able to meat sponge like that is intense, even by my standards. The clarification on it gaining death saving throws is nice, because I've seen DM's on both sides of that fence. I do like it overall though. maybe make a caveat similar to the Martial feat that gives Battle Master Maneuvers. The HP might be a tad high for a feat, but I would agree with the 5 hp x level for the base archetype.