PDA

View Full Version : Planeguard Defender [PrC]

Lysander
2007-06-28, 09:38 AM
The Planeguard Defender is specialized to handle an invading outsider of any alignment, restoring balance to a world affected by agents by other realms that are incarante examples of extremes. Through meditation and willpower the Planeguard Defender reinforces the laws of reality and wipe out threats from beyond.

hit dice: d10

Requirements:

Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 2 Ranks

Base Attack Bonus: 7

Slaying an outsider with at least as many HD as yourself.
Must be a creature native to the material plane without an acquired outsider type.

{table]Level| Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Bind 1/day, Banish 1/day, Detect Incursion
2nd|+2|+2|+0|+0|Banish 2/day, Dimensional Foothold
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Bind 2/day, Homeward Bound
4th|+4|+3|+1|+1|Banish 3/day, Aura of the Material
5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Bind 3/day, Weaken Outsider
[/table]

Bind
By striking an outsider with a normal melee blow a Planeguard Defender may try to cause an effect identical to Dimensional Anchor. The blow does not need to do any damage. Their effective caster level for this is their Planeguard Defender level + their wisdom modifier.

Banish
By striking an outsider with a normal melee blow a Planeguard Defender may try to cause an effect identical to Plane Shift that teleports that single entity back to their plane of origin. The blow does not need to do any damage. If the outsider fails their will save and is banished they may not return to the plane they were cast out from for 1/hour per Planeguard Defender level.Their effective caster level for this is their Planeguard Defender level + their wisdom modifier.

Detect Incursion
A Planeguard Defender can see what creatures, places, or objects are linked to other planes. An outsider or object with an extradimensional source will give a strong reading. Things that have recently been in other dimensions but are native in origin will give a faint reading as well, including objects that have been teleported between locations on the material plane.

Dimensional Foothold
A Planeguard Defender cannot be teleported against their will.

Homeward Bound
Once per day Planeguard Defender may either teleport themselves from another dimension back to the last place they occupied on the material plane, or teleport a single ally back to the last place you (not they) occupied on the material plane, or summon back to a material plane a willing ally that was teleported to another plane within the past hour. To recall an ally you must by standing within twenty feet of the spot they departed the material plane from. This ability requires a standard action.

Aura of the Material
Upon approaching within 10 feet of the Planeguard Defender an outsider must pass a DC 25 Will Save or be dazed for one round. If an outsider succeeds they cannot be effected by this aura for 24 hours. The Planeguard Defender can choose to supress this effect or have it not effect certain kinds of outsiders.

Weaken Outsider
Once per day you may will a normal melee attack of yours to devestate an outsider, and may select to do so after knowing your blow is successful. The struck outsider suffers an additional 5d6 damage and then must make a DC20 will saving throw to avoid losing any damage reduction they may have for 50 minutes. If they succeed on their throw by less than 10 they instead lose damage reduction for 5 rounds. This attack may be performed simultaneously with a bind or banish.

Kellus
2007-06-28, 03:36 PM
Interesting class, but I'd suggest tweaking the requirements so that you can't be an outsider yourself. Also, you seem to be using three different save progressions. I know there is a moderate progression, but bear in mind that it's hardly ever used. Also, I'm having trouble finding someone who would enter this. All the core martial classes lack Knowledge (the Planes) as a class skill, which means they'd have to be 13th level before entering. Spellcasters and sneaky characters wouldn't really enter either, since it doesn't add spellcasting or sneak attack. Also, you'll need skill points/level and a class skill list.

There was a very cool base class put up a little while ago, called (I think) the Primewarden, with the same sort of idea. Check it out, as it might give you some ideas.

Lysander
2007-06-28, 06:46 PM
Primewarden eh? I'll look for it. Maybe I'll lower the requirements too.