PDA

View Full Version : Non-book Magic Items

Muz
2007-06-28, 11:30 AM
So I'm sitting here bored and suddenly thinking about magic items that I as DM (or a DM in a game I was in) invented that were interesting. I figured it's a good topic for a thread. Who's got some original magic item ideas to share? They don't have to be especially powerful, just neat or interesting and not found (that you were aware of at the time) in an actual book.

Invisible Rope: It appears to be ordinary silk rope, but when a command word is spoken, the rope turns invisible. The invisibility only affects the rope itself, NOT anything it's tied to. It will stay invisible until the command word is spoken again.

This was found by the party when busting a small band of drow kidnapping humans at night from a city above ground. Easier to get your captives back underground without attracting attention if the guards can't see the rope they're tied with. (Hooded cloaks were used on the captives to hide mouth gags, but I'm digressing.) The party later used it to make a great little tripwire at neck length.

FireSpark
2007-06-28, 11:37 AM
One of my more artificing wizards (named Fodoric) once created what I named Fodoric's Acid Blaster, using the base stock design of a crossbow (with no actual bow on it) and imbued it with melf's acid arrow. It had variable damage output, a 100ft. range, but did have a daily limit of damage dice.

Advantage? Now anybody who didn't want to get too close (in this case our bard or rogue) could engage from stand-off distance.

Fodoric also invented a little thin called stun sticks. About 18 inches in lentgh, they only had eight charges per day (but I made about 3 of them), but they dealt 10d6 non-lethal electricity damage. Great for taking of prisoners for questioning and bounty hunting.

psychoticbarber
2007-06-28, 11:39 AM
I'm not a mod, but this should probably be in the "Homebrew" section, just below the Gaming Discussion section.

Interesting items, though. If this gets moved to homebrew, I'll totally put up one of mine.

Muz
2007-06-28, 11:52 AM
I'm not a mod, but this should probably be in the "Homebrew" section, just below the Gaming Discussion section.

Interesting items, though. If this gets moved to homebrew, I'll totally put up one of mine.

Hmm- I didn't figure it would be, since this is meant to be more a discussion of stuff that's actually happened already in former D&D sessions rather than a brainstorming session of things to create for the future. I've seen tales of previous adventure sessions in this forum, so I figured here was the place to go. (But if a mod moves it, so be it.) :smallsmile:

Zaeron
2007-06-28, 12:00 PM
I used to play with a friend who always, always, always played barbarians. He epitomized the 'kick in the door' player. One of our campaigns culminated in all the PCs getting really powerful homebrewed items with unique ish abilities right before the final adventure.

The Barbarian got a pair of gauntlets that, among other things, gave you the ability to absorb any fire damage dealt to you and heal yourself with it.

The gauntlets also could cast a Heightened, Maximized Fireball once per day, centered on the wearer.

I allowed him to trigger them while raging, too. The item itself wasn't the coolest item ever, but his reaction to the idea of them - "Wait, you mean I can BLOW MYSELF UP and get healed by it?!" and the way he still talks about them even a year and a half later make them my favorite of all my homebrewed items.