PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Words of Power: Seeking a Review

Fayd
2016-06-09, 08:24 AM
Hello Playground!

In short, I am planning a game where all the PCs are Dragons. I was flipping through some sourcebooks looking for ideas, and I found the Words of Power system in Ultimate Magic. It seemed very appropriate for a number of reasons (a connection to primal magic and to be quite frank, Skyrim), but I have no idea if it is any good. Has anyone here used it enough to form an opinion? Thank you.

DarkOne-Rob
2016-06-09, 11:11 AM
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ppvi?Thus-She-Spoke-A-Words-of-Power-Sorcereress

Check that out for some ideas. I like the flavor a great deal and think it could be very effective in play. That said, it lacks any support outside of Ultimate Magic and other systems (such as the base spell casting system) have gotten new spells and such since that time.

Fayd
2016-06-09, 11:35 AM
All right, thanks!

Looking that thread/guide over, I really think that it is where I want to go. It'll require a bit more legwork from my party but they're smart people. I'm looking forward to this!

Darkweave31
2016-06-09, 12:24 PM
It lowers the power of spellcasters and generally limits the utility of magic outside of combat. I've considered using it but always fall back on just using regular spellcasting so I don't have to reorganize every monster with spellcasting.

That said, are you using In the Company of Dragons from Rite Publishing? Because I've enjoyed it as a way to integrate dragon PCs into normal play. The pfsrd has a small preview (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/rite-publishing/dragon-taninim) of the dragon race while the book includes rules for increasing in size (handled by an archetype). If you've got the campaign lined up it might be worthwhile to give it a look.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-09, 12:26 PM
May I suggest the Spheres of Power as well? It doesn't have the Skyrim feel, but I've heard very good things about it. You could just refluff it as words of power, if desired.

Fayd
2016-06-09, 02:01 PM
I am using In the Company of Dragons heavily. I am altering some things to make the PCs feel a bit more draconic, but otherwise, fairly wholesale. I'll look into Spheres of Power, thanks for the recommendation.

It would just be the party that is using Words of Power, the rest of the world tends toward more traditional casting (which means if they absolutely need a specific spell I can give it to them as a scroll, wand, or potion).

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-09, 02:20 PM
It would just be the party that is using Words of Power, the rest of the world tends toward more traditional casting (which means if they absolutely need a specific spell I can give it to them as a scroll, wand, or potion).

Wait...So you have a dragon campaign where the dragons have the less powerful and flexible type of magic? Is this intentional?

Fayd
2016-06-09, 02:24 PM
Yes, because they are semi-gestalt, having all the class features and stats of their class and the class features of the Draconic Exemplar class.

Unless I change my mind.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-09, 02:32 PM
Yes, because they are semi-gestalt, having all the class features and stats of their class and the class features of the Draconic Exemplar class.

Unless I change my mind.

Could also make it a plot point. Words of Power is magic inherent in THIS dimension. Arcane Magic is actually fueled by fiends or whatever baddy you had planned out. Divine magic is still fueled by gods, but not many of them are terribly nice people.

Fayd
2016-06-09, 02:40 PM
Or something. I'll have a justification, that's for sure.