PDA

View Full Version : People thoughts about UA feat Alchemist

Sir cryosin
2016-06-09, 09:02 AM
Everybody's talking about the weapon Feats for the new Unearthed Arcana but the feat that's really caught my eye is actually The Alchemist feat and I wanted to get everybody else's opinion on that feat.

Hrugner
2016-06-09, 05:01 PM
My normal party and players avoid consumables in general, so something that boosts potions wouldn't be very interesting at our table.

That aside, the identification is cool but the short range means you can't use it for pickpocketing purposes very easily and it takes an action so you couldn't really use it to identify what someone was drinking. Alchemy checks in general don't seem to come up very often, and with the non-specific DCs in 5th ed, raising your check on a rarely used roll seems like it could easily be accidentally adjusted out of importance by the DM while he's adjusting DCs.

Then there's the issue of it giving you abilities that work with healing potions, an herbalism supplies product, while giving you proficiency with the alchemy supplies. What is the alchemy kit even for?

It seems sort of useless, and the unique things it does are constrained and not very flavorful, and crafting seems sort of undefined as due the kit skills. I'd pass on it even if I were making a big alchemy based character.

Drackolus
2016-06-09, 05:19 PM
Could be fun if you're an Artificer. Create and maximize your own potions.
I'd definitely throw it into my rune scribe/artificer build if I ever get a DM that is generous enough to promise me a rune.