PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 6+1 FEATS for PEACHing

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-09, 11:27 AM
Ok here are some feats that I need overview on in terms of power, flavor, usefulness, and overall balance. Some of you may recognize pieces or entire lines. Some of these are original, others are modified. Here's what I've got:

Prerequisite: Strength or Dexterity 13

When you use Dodge action you may make a single weapon attack and/or move up to 15 feet as a bonus action. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
Once during your turn, while you are dual wielding and you miss with a weapon attack you can immediately make an additional attack with your other weapon with disadvantage.
If you have advantage while dual wielding and both dice would result in a hit or you score a critical hit, you can hit with your other weapon and add its damage to the total. The second weapons damage is not multiplied on a critical hit unless both advantage dice would score a critical hit.

Ok, each bullet feels nice to me, but the overall connection might be a tad much. Fixing up the 1st bullet in some way makes the most sense. Not sure how at the moment. Goal was to focus on the feel of rapid slapping that TWF gets to do without just adding 'moar damage' instead going for more reliable damage that is expected when swinging multiple weapons EFFECTIVELY.

EDIT: Bullet one removed adv to atk. Bullet 2 changed it to be at the disadvantage. 3rd bullet added other weapon on crit.
EDIT2: Because clarity is also needed for these sorts of projects.
EDIT3: Word cleanup and clarification. Mechanics fix/nerf on the second bullet. First bullet now has 15ft of AoO free movent in the use of the bonus action.

Perquisite: Proficiency with Medium Armor and shields

When you use the Help action to aid another creature in combat, that creature has advantage on each attack roll. Additionally when you are aided or aiding in combat against a creature, the aided creature has a +2 to damage rolls.
If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can choose to take a -2 penalty to your attack roll to give your weapon the reach property for this attack, when wielding a weapon with the versatile property.
If you make a saving throw or check to avoid being frightened or charmed and you are within 5 feet of an ally that isn't incapacitated, you can choose to reroll the save using the choice your modifiers or you adjacent ally’s, but must use the second result if you do so.

This one is a modified feat, 2nd bullet with applicable weapons. And the 3rd bullet in major mechanical ways.

EDIT: Bullet 1 modified to be more teamwork rewarding. Verbiage feels terri-bad though.

Prequisite: Intelligence or Wisdom 13

When you set a trap that you created or placed that requires a save or check DC, the save DC for the trap is either equal to 8 + Proficiency Bonus + Intelligence or Wisdom modifier (your choice) or the base DC whichever is higher.
When you set a trap that you created or place that requires an attack roll, the bonus to the attack roll is either equal to your Intelligence or Wisdom modifier (your choice) + Proficiency Bonus or the base trap attack bonus, whichever is higher.
When a trap deals damage to a creature, you add your Intelligence or Wisdom Modifier (your choice) to the damage dealt.
As an action you may set a basic trap and hide it with an Intelligence or Wisdom (Stealth) check.

One of my earlier works. Mechanically functional, a little bland though. Wording feels everywhere to me, unclear in some spots for 'created or placed' definition. I want a caveat for precision damage (like sneak attack) but that feels REALLY strong. I don't know maybe its open-endedness allows room for creativity to be rewarded without breaking numbers.

Perquisite: Constitution or Wisdom 13

Increase your Constitution or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
While you are at or below ¼ of your original maximum hit points you add ½ of your proficiency bonus to your saving throws.
When you take damage that would reduce you to 0 hit points and not kill you outright you may choose to immediately expend a recovery hit die. Roll the die, add your Constitution modifier to it, and add your character level and gain hit points equal to the result after damage is dealt. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.
You have advantage on saving throws made to resist or shake off Fear or Madness effects.

Wanted to make a feat to embody the imagery of that super tenacious character who's body doesn't even know when to quit. The 3rd bullet still has me debating whether or not to allow the temp HP to last for 10 minutes instead. I made the 2nd bullet be 1/4 because of how powerful it is and how well it synergizes with the Champion and the Immortal archetypes.

EDIT: Modified bullet 3 based on advice, still not a reaction though. Reduced hit die to use

Prerequisite: Ability to cast damaging cantrips or spells.

You gain proficiency with the Arcana skill. If you are already proficient with it, you add double your proficiency bonus to Arcana checks instead.
Before you make a spell attack roll, you can choose to take a -5 penalty on the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 damage to the spell’s damage.
Before you cast a spell that requires a saving throw to avoid damage, you can choose lower the spell’s saving throw DC by 5. If a target fails the saving throw to avoid damage you deal an additional +1 damage per damage dice of the spell.
When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a spell attack, you can use your bonus action to redirect the remaining damage at another target within 5 feet of the original target using the original attack roll result.

Straightforward feat attempt for a risk/reward gamble for casters. 1st bullet was going to be a copy of the 2nd bullet of Crossbow expert, but I felt that people would hate the crap out of me for it. IDK, it can change with the right argument. I was honestly considering making the 3rd bullet to give advantage on the saving throw, but there are tons of creatures with Spell Resistance and features to gain advantage on saving throws. With advantage being handed out, most times you can just supe up your save spells with no noticeable sacrifice.

You can choose to use the Help action in place of making a weapon attack.
While you benefit from a Dodge action you also have advantage Strength saving throws and opposed Acrobatics and Athletics checks. When a creature you threaten hits you with an attack while you threaten it, you may immediately make an Attack of Opportunity against that creature.
Before you make an attack with a weapon that does not have the heavy or two-handed property, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +5 damage to the attacks damage.

Ok, this one may just be meh for statistical things. All but the 4th bullet feel clear an focused.

EDIT: Condensed the 2nd and 4th bullet, tried to clarify wording without overpowering with generalization.
EDIT2: Gotta pick your huckleberry that you want to slap for trying to be something.
EDIT3: ok changed to only AoO when struck, removed the selected target business to make it behave similar to the Storm Sorcerer reaction ability from SCAG.

Alright, that's all I've got ready for fixing at the moment. Please let me know what you think. If you use it and encounter any issues, please let me know.

Trying my hand at an alchemically inspired feat.

Prerequisite: Proficiency with alchemist's supplies

You gain proficiency with both the herbalism and the poisoner's kit.
Chemical-based equipment you craft add your proficiency bonus to the save and check DC’s. Alchemic equipment you craft that deal damage, deal an additional 1 damage per damage dice of the same damage type. Alchemic equipment you craft that restore hit points, heal an additional 1 point of damage per dice.
You may add your proficiency bonus to attack rolls made with vial, bottles, and hand sized objects and you may treat these objects as ammunition for a sling.
You have advantage on saving throws against poisons and the poisoned condition.

Thinking of making bullet 1 be a single tool prof between the 2.
Bullet 3 is clunky and feels like there might be too much room for confusion. Hopefully intent is seen and then we can discuss why this might be a bad feat.

These'll probably get reposted in a new thread as a Google.doc eventually. If that would is something people want to see happened sooner rather than later, I might be willing to move up that timetable.

Final Hyena
2016-06-09, 12:21 PM
Dervish

When you take the Dodge action you may use your bonus action you may make a single weapon attack at the advantage.
Once during your turn, while you are dual wielding and you miss with a weapon attack you can immediately make an additional attack with your other weapon.
If you have advantage while dual wielding and both the lowest result would result in a hit with your other weapon, you may add your other weapons damage to the total.

Lets examine this on a rogue as that's where it's strongest.
First point you go from doing 2 attacks to one attack with advantage. This is a slight improvement because it makes sneak attack easier to trigger, but the average damage is roughly the same. However you'e also getting dodge. So a more reliable sneak and +5 ac. That's very strong.
Second point, so now we're getting an advantage attack and then another if we miss? So we get 3 (maybe 4 depending on interpretation) rolls to hit?
Third point an extra d6 damage every turn.

Ok this is incredibly strong might I suggest;
Dervish

When you take the Dodge action you may use your bonus action you may make a single weapon attack.
When under the affects of Dodge your movement does not provoke attack of opportunities and your movement speed increases by 15 feet.
If you have advantage while dual wielding and both results would hit, you land a blow with your other weapon, you may add your other weapons damage to the total.

First point you lose one attack, but get +5 ac. You're average damage output decreases by roughly 1/3 and your ac increases by roughly 1/3, thus a side grade.
Second point dodge now gives you a free disengage meaning if you needed to disengage to get into position to sneak attack you get a free dodge and more movement. So situationally +5 ac & easier positioning.
Third point a situational d6/8 extra damage.

Grit
Perquisite: Constitution or Wisdom 13

Increase your Constitution or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You have advantage on saving throws made to resist or shake off Fear or Madness effects.
While you are at or below ¼ of your original maximum hit points you add ½ of your proficiency bonus to your saving throws.
When you take damage that would reduce you to 0 hit points and not kill you outright you may choose to immediately expend up to two of your recovery hit die. Roll each die, add your Constitution modifier to it, add your character level and gain temporary hit points equal to the result. These temporary hit points last for 1 minute. You do not suffer the normally penalties for being at 0 hit points while these temporary hit points are in place. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

+1 so half a feat.
situational advantage
1/4 of the time you have 1/2 prof with up to 4 saves. a save prof is worth 1/2 a feat, meaning 1/2 a save is worth 1/4 of a feat. You get 4 things worth 1/4 of a feat each, but only for 1/4 of the time. A total of 1/4 of a feats worth.
The last thing however is being able to roll 2 hit dice in combat with a bonus equal to double your level. Ignoring the value of no short rest hit die you're pretty much getting +2 hp a level, which is a feat I consider at the very top end. You can argue this HP only lasts for 1 minute, but that's all you need it for.

Perhaps replacing the last point with;
When you take damage that would reduce you to 0 hit points and not kill you outright you may use a reaction to spend a hit die as if you had finished a short rest. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Combat Expertise

You can choose to use the Help action in place of making a weapon attack.
While you benefit from a Dodge action and a creature that you threaten misses you with an attack, you may immediately make an Attack of Opportunity against that creature.
Before you make an attack with a weapon that does not have the heavy or two-handed property, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +5 damage to the attacks damage.
You have advantage on opposed checks and saves when defending.

The Second point would result in a very interesting monk rogue, mogue, ronk. Bonus action dodge, action attack, reaction hit. Might be too strong.
What is an opposed save, and defending?

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-09, 02:13 PM
Dervish
- Ok, hopefully the edits on Dervish keep the VarHuman rogue from blowing up all of the things. I replaced the advantage on the swing with 15 feet of unprovoked movement. Not quite the full suggestion, but I saw the logic in not making a dodge tank scorpion possible at level 1.

- Bullet 2 was changed to have to haphazard follow-up swing feel like it in flavor and balance, so its done at the Disadvantage.

- Bullet 3 may get glares, but it made sense to me and was a thought in my original notes. - hate on as needed.

Grit
- ok bullet 2 has me considering bumping the threshold to 1/3 max. Clarified to say ALL saves (yes including the death type and prof ones).

- Bullet 3 modified based on advice, one die after dropping to 0. Gains hp instead of gaining temp hp that disappears.

Combat Expertise
- Combined the 2nd and 4th bullets with a hopeful lean towards clarification. Didn't know how to specify the type of checks and saves associated with getting disarmed, tripped, grappled, and pushed. So now i'm trying to establish this as kind of a Zen-ed out defensive posture.

Thank you for the feedback. Hopefully everything else you didnt comment on wasn't a giant mess.

EDIT: bad wording

Final Hyena
2016-06-09, 02:56 PM
Thank you for the feedback. Hopefully everything else you didnt comment on was a giant mess.
On the contrary the rest seemed ok, there was a mild conern with Phalanx adding in extra damage, but an aware DM should be able to counter with aoe.

The 2nd point in battlemage works for say eldritch blast or Scorching Ray, but isn't great for most spells which are just a single big attack/save. Not that it's bad, just resigned to being mostly for warlocks.

Once during your turn, while you are dual wielding and you miss with a weapon attack you can immediately make an additional attack with your other weapon at the disadvantage.
weapon with disadvantage. :)

Dervish and Combat expertise is a very strong combo for rogues. Dodge and one attack on your turn and a reaction attack out of turn.
Giving attacks out of turn is kind of abusable with rogues which might be why existing cases of them require you to be level 14 & 17 (Barbarian & Monk). Lets pretend Commander's Strike doesn't exist...

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-09, 07:16 PM
For the battlemage, i wanted to give casters something similar to the Sharpshooter and the Great Weapon Master without completely blowing them out of the water. I did acknowledge that the warlock was the guy that would get the most mileage out of that bullet. Honestly that's fine by me, they use EB like a fighter uses a weapon.

I'll be doing some more tweaking on the Phalanx feat. But usually being side by side like that is a bad plan, so i figured having the ability to benefit from tactically unsound positioning was a neat concept. Mainly the wording on the feat feels odd.

The AoO on someone missing you was made similar to the BM riposte and the new Spear/Trident specific feat from this junes UA on feat design. The spear on makes you pick someone to intercept as a bonus action. What do you think of selecting a specific creature to counter as far as being more balanced? Also, I thought the rogues SA stipulation of 1/round was pretty solid at keeping the damage where it needs to be.

Just realizef i meant to say 'wasn't a giant mess'... oh well. Still a little suprised that more people haven't commented on this.

Just as a heads up the OP has been updated to reflect changes and musings.

Final Hyena
2016-06-09, 07:50 PM
The AoO on someone missing you was made similar to the BM riposte and the new Spear/Trident specific feat from this junes UA on feat design. The spear on makes you pick someone to intercept as a bonus action. What do you think of selecting a specific creature to counter as far as being more balanced? Also, I thought the rogues SA stipulation of 1/round was pretty solid at keeping the damage where it needs to be.
The spear is not a finesse weapon and so that isn't a concern, your feat is for any weapon.
Sneak attack is once a turn not round, which means it applies again out of your turn on attack of opportunities.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-09, 08:54 PM
The spear is not a finesse weapon and so that isn't a concern, your feat is for any weapon.
Sneak attack is once a turn not round, which means it applies again out of your turn on attack of opportunities.

Well with that knowledge gap bridged, i am thinking that maybe forcing the player to pick a creature to be the target of your counter-strikes might be a step in the right direction.

Combat Expertise second bullet being modified to reflect that.

For phalanx i was thinking of allowing a modified help action. Like using a help action on a creature allows your ally(s) (need to double check help action specifics) to deal more damage, or be able to provide an opening for more people (if you're limited to helping one creature at a time). Kind of along the lines of helping with things involving a target instead of things and ally is trying to accomplish. That could replace the potentially troublesome 1d6 of damage.

Bharaeth
2016-06-10, 05:30 AM
On the contrary the rest seemed ok, there was a mild conern with Phalanx adding in extra damage, but an aware DM should be able to counter with aoe.

FI'll be doing some more tweaking on the Phalanx feat. But usually being side by side like that is a bad plan, so i figured having the ability to benefit from tactically unsound positioning was a neat concept. Mainly the wording on the feat feels odd.

I think the Phalanx Fighter might be modified version of a set of weapon-specific feats I put up last year, so in its defence, the extra damage was lifted straight from the hobgoblin's Martial Advantage feature, and the wording was a combination of that and the Polearm Master feat's weapon specific text.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-10, 07:38 AM
I think the Phalanx Fighter might be modified version of a set of weapon-specific feats I put up last year, so in its defence, the extra damage was lifted straight from the hobgoblin's Martial Advantage feature, and the wording was a combination of that and the Polearm Master feat's weapon specific text.

i think youkre correct. i kept the name of it to allow for ease of recognition by the origninal creator. i youkd like i can post up your name next to it for credit. I'm not here to still ideas, just to make some stuff that works with the game i enjoy. As it turns out, people tend to have awesome ideas, and so i use those ideas.

Final Hyena
2016-06-10, 09:33 AM
Limited combat expertise to one target helps, but doesn't change too much.
The best tactic is to target out a single guy (as a swashbuckler) he has to run or attack you.

Giving out of turn attacks is tricky, even ignoring the rogue it's still very strong on others, a paladin being the best/worst example, a simple solution is to very specifically spell out the damage is only the weapon die and nothing else.

I would also be ok with bumping up the third point of combat expertise as it's kind of useless as is.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-10, 10:53 AM
Limited combat expertise to one target helps, but doesn't change too much.
The best tactic is to target out a single guy (as a swashbuckler) he has to run or attack you.

Giving out of turn attacks is tricky, even ignoring the rogue it's still very strong on others, a paladin being the best/worst example, a simple solution is to very specifically spell out the damage is only the weapon die and nothing else.

I'm really feeling ok with its current setup until i can think of something better. It allows the individual to pick a scenario to be awesome in. I mean look at PAM or sentinel, separately you are a monster with a stick or a glaring guardian, and together those turn you into a stick slapping nightmare in offensive terms. PAM lets you AoO someone who walks near you, and pally gets full access to that abuse. HOWEVER the issue with SA from the rogue may need to be addressed eventually, and i acknowledge that fact as well. . .

WAIT, what about getting an AoO on someone that actually damages you with an attack instead of one that misses you?

I would also be ok with bumping up the third point of combat expertise as it's kind of useless as is.

Honestly i am fine with the 3rd bullet as is because of how its to be a 1h variety of the GWF feat. The GWF gets to deal +10 because of the classic 3.5 power atk 2h ratios. Thats what it felt like. Giving any more damage though might be a tad much. Especially because of the deliberate synergy with TWF. It doesn't close the gap in damage between TWF and GWF, but it at least gets it closer for the guy who is giving up his access to a shield and a bonus action for a deliberate attempt at more power. If i just made it a -5 +10 flat out, it would blow the numbers out a bit too far.

No modifiers applied*, Calculated using the # of attacks a 20th level fighter gets without even calculating the slight avg bump the GWF style gives.

GWF: 4 * (7+10) = 68
7 = maul/greatsword avg, 10 = GWF -5 +10

TWF: 5 * (4.5 + 5) = 42.5 OR 5 * (4.5 + 5) = 47.5
3.5 = shortsword and the like, 4.5 = longsword and the like, 5 = from CE -5 +5
Without the -5 +5 of CE's third bullet the total avg ranges are 17.5 and 22.5 with shortswords or longswords respectively.

My intent between Combat Expertise and Dervish was to offer a tool that almost any weapon wielder can use, but also offer plausible combat options to the TWF to help make up for its lack in damage combat against the other All-in style of GWF. I wanted to make feats that were nice, but not supercharged in just raw numbers.

Final Hyena
2016-06-10, 11:22 AM
The change from a miss to hit would be more of a boon against stronger opponents and nerf when fighting weaker enemes. then again so is that tempest ability.
Shrug

Rapier
(d8+5) 9.5 damage
50 to 60% hit chance
4.75 to 5.7 avg damage

Rapier (expertise)
(d8+10) 14.5
25 to 35% hit chance
3.625 to 5.075
A downgrade in total damage.
When you add in the increased lost damage from overkill it makes it even worse.

Rapier (duelling and +3)
(d8+10) 14.5
50% to 60% hit chance
7.25 to 8.7 avg damage

Rapier (expertise, duelling and +3)
(d8+15) 19.5
25 to 35% hit chance
4.875 to 6.825

Bharaeth
2016-06-10, 11:45 AM
i think youkre correct. i kept the name of it to allow for ease of recognition by the origninal creator. i youkd like i can post up your name next to it for credit. I'm not here to still ideas, just to make some stuff that works with the game i enjoy. As it turns out, people tend to have awesome ideas, and so i use those ideas.

No, that's cool. The one of our DMs where I might have had a chance to use them shot down any and all homebrew, so was just glad to see it get re-used in some way!

Of course, that feat was done before there was any love for spears via the new UA set...

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-12, 08:04 PM
Ok changes made to Combat expertise allow AoO on creatures the do hit you to make it feel more mechanically similar to the Storm sorcerer from the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide.

Word cleanup on Dervish because that was a total mess. Those 2 seem fine to me atm. Now I'm on to figure out something cool to do for the Phalanx fighter. Research on Help actions AWWAAYYY!!!!

Ok, just looked at battlemage... Should i make battlemage be a -5 +5 like CE is? Casters are already blasty enough and the GWF feat is really what helps the BSF characters keep up in numbers against casters.

Also how does replacing the 1st bullet of Phalanx Fighter with this sound:

When you use the Help action to aid another creature in combat, that creature has advantage on each attack roll. Additionally the creature you aided has +2 to damage rolls.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-16, 09:44 AM
Added the Alchemic Engineer Feat... it was conceptualized before the UA feat dev notes sooo, may not align with their stars. Also its 3rd bullet may be in the storyboard/no-duh bracket and be completely redundant. Or some DMs might have already have their alchemically inclined PC's making acid or fire based sling bullet, idk. . . I really shouldn't have to spell out alchemically crafted ammunition to people and I just won't. If people would like me to make examples of such an animal I will. But the 3rd bullet is to be more of an improvisation boon than anything.

If my ranting hasn't made it clear, I want my feats to allow room for creativity to be rewarded. The worst thing that these can cause is the response of "No, you cannot do ____ creative thing in this scenario, there's a feat for that...". Keen Mind and Observant are cool AF because they let you do things that you normally couldn't, at all, even creatively. Since the release of the UA alchemy tool based feat, I've modified this newest one to synergize with the intent to not overshadow. Sorry if that horse is dead by 3 paragraphs now...

Still thinking of reducing the boon of the Battlemage -5 +10 to be -5 +5... Just so martials get to keep having nice things and I'll not just handing everybody differently colored lasers and claiming 'super diversity' while still achieving my goal of risk/reward blasting for those peeps that want to squeak out just a tad more.

Also, shout out to Goober4473 his feats.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-06-17, 07:43 AM
For those that might care, heres the google doc version of my ever evolving feat list. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VHi8l8rpXEpoeunTMtcyzuUu-J-uk5XO6QklmL1BfhM/edit?usp=docslist_api)

also, i do requests for feats and what-not.