PDA

View Full Version : Truenamer Quick Fix

frogglesmash
2016-06-09, 02:37 PM
So here's the fix, the easy way to give truenamers the phenomenal cosmic power they deserve. Take the Wizard class, and rename it. In all seriousness though, if I choose to include trunamers in any of my campaigns I would like them to be able to hold their own against other tier 1s and this seems the way to do it. Of course simply changing the name of the class isn't quite enough, it would be best to give them/change some class features to better fit the truenamer fluff. The first thing that comes to mind is making it so all spells they cast have a verbal component and nothing else, save for an XP component where appropriate, after that I'm not sure.

Just to be clear, I'm not actually trying to fix the truenamer, but rather, I am trying to make wizards look and feel like truenamers.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-09, 02:44 PM
Truenamers running into battle wearing fullplate doesn't quite work for me. I mean, I like gishes, but this doesn't seem right somehow.

Through if you are going to make them wizards, why not just go all the way? Make truespeaking not a separate class, but a chain of feats or something.

When you really get down to it, Wizards and Truenamers probably share a lot of roots in mythology and are practically kissing cousins to begin with.

Willie the Duck
2016-06-09, 02:45 PM
Um... okay. Done. Now you have wizards with the fluff of Truenamers. Now what?

Troacctid
2016-06-09, 02:52 PM
Truenamers running into battle wearing fullplate doesn't quite work for me. I mean, I like gishes, but this doesn't seem right somehow.
They can do that already. Utterances are spell-like abilities and have no somatic components.

Honest Tiefling
2016-06-09, 02:58 PM
They can do that already. Utterances are spell-like abilities and have no somatic components.

Er, yes, I seem to have forgotten that, as I have never played the class. Regardless, I think they need more then armor to distinguish themselves.

Jormengand
2016-06-09, 03:24 PM
There is a way to do this: if you want to make truenamers hold their own against tier 1s, that could include being a tier 2. Make them sorcerers, and then make all of the spells require truespeak checks (with law of resistance) but they have otherwise unlimited spells per day and can wear armour. Maybe make law of resistance apply to all spells of a given level to stop them getting too many off per day. Boomdeyada, you're done. Or, if you want to make them tier 1, make them prepare spells like a wizard, cast their prepared spells like a sorcerer, and LoR applies for each spell they cast of a given level to all spells of that level.

Or just give them better utterances. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?397500-The-Worldspeaker-revisited-Truenamer-PEACH)

Waker
2016-06-09, 04:10 PM
A quick fix for the class doesn't really fly since it uses such a different mechanic for it's "spellcasting" abilities. There are a number of really good homebrew fixes if that is something that might interest you.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?90961-The-Way-Words-Work-%28or-Truenaming-that-doesn-t-make-me-cry-myself-to-sleep-at-night%29
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?217713-A-Book-of-Words-An-Expanded-Truenamer-Fix-PEACH&p=11971747#post11971747