PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Prismatist Wizard (Sub-class)

EkulNagrom
2016-06-09, 04:34 PM
If you actually looked at this Homebrew, thank you! This is my first one, and I hope it's not to unbalanced. I have options for what happens when you pick the arcane tradition because I wasn't sure how unbalanced it would be. If you see anything too horrible, then please post below. Feel free to throw hate and abuse at me if I did something wrong.

Prismatist Savant, level 2: All spells that cause Light/Fire to appear and/or deals Radiant/Fire damage costs half the time and money to copy into your spell book.

2nd level: Split Light: When you reach this level, you learn the cantrip Light, and if you have it replace it with another cantrip from the cantrip list. Whenever you cast Light, you can choose to focus the spell into a beam of light that deals 1d8 Radiant damage, with a range of 50 feet. The creature targeted must make a saving throw, the damage is halved on a success. You can also place a prism in front of the beam of light. By maneuvering the prism, the light will change into different colors of the rainbow. The damage type changes with the color of the light beam. Red = Fire damage, Orange = Thunder damage, Yellow = Lightning damage, Green = Acid damage, Blue = Cold damage and Purple = Poison damage. If you choose to change the color of the beam, you cannot move from your current location this turn. The spells damage increases by 1d8 at 5th level and at 14th level.

6th level: Primary affinity: Choose a damage type; Fire (Red), Radiant (Yellow) or Cold (Blue). Whenever you cast a spell with the damage type chosen, add your intelligence modifier to that damage. You have advantage on saves against the damage you choose.

10th level: Light shift: You have studied Light so much you now understand a bit of how it works. As a bonus action, you can move up to 90 feet in an instant. You phase through anything that stands in your path, and if you phase through a creature, it takes 6d6 damage, the type of which is your Primary affinity (Fire, Radiant, Cold). You can use this Abilty every 5 rounds or after a short rest.

14th level: Prismatic shift: You can fire spells through your prism, using it as your magical focus. If you do, and a spell you cast deals damage, you can choose for the spell to deal Fire, Thunder, Lightning, Radiant, Acid, Cold or Poison damage instead of what it dealt before. You can now target one other additional creature with Light, but you can only choose one type of damage.

Again, thank you for reading this.

Stan
2016-06-09, 05:00 PM
I think it's cute and within the realm usable. How balanced partly depends on the details.

I would write up the 2nd level options as if they were spells, with ranges and other details.

Why does split light do 1d8 but goes up by 1d6?

How long does the resistance from 6th level last? How long does it take to activate it (reaction, bonus, or action)?

A d8 cantrip that can get by any resistance (assuming you choose the right color) is very good. How good depends on range, whether it has a saving throw (also if it's save for half or save for none and what save it targets), or attack roll.

EkulNagrom
2016-06-09, 07:49 PM
I think it's cute and within the realm usable. How balanced partly depends on the details.

I would write up the 2nd level options as if they were spells, with ranges and other details.

Why does split light do 1d8 but goes up by 1d6?

How long does the resistance from 6th level last? How long does it take to activate it (reaction, bonus, or action)?

A d8 cantrip that can get by any resistance (assuming you choose the right color) is very good. How good depends on range, whether it has a saving throw (also if it's save for half or save for none and what save it targets), or attack roll.

I can't believe I missed that d8 to d6 thing. I'll edit in the other details as well. Thank you for the feedback!

Final Hyena
2016-06-09, 08:16 PM
Savant options:
Option 1: Prismatist Savant, level 2: All spells that cause Light/Fire to appear and/or deals Radiant/Fire damage costs half the time and money to copy into your spell book
Option 2: Light Savant: Add the Light domain spells to your spell book for level 1. Do this again at level 3, level 5, level 7 and level 9.
Option 2 is very strong, 10 free spells! I would stick with option 1.

2nd level options:
Option 1: Bend Light: You can bend light to cause something to be invisible. When you use this ability, a space up to 5 feet in diameter becomes invisible to all looking at it. If someone or something enters the space, they become invisible as well. You can concentrate to make it last longer, up to 10 minutes. The space cannot be moved once it has been placed. You cannot use this ability again until after a short rest.
Option 2: Split Light: When you reach this level, you learn the cantrip Light, and if you have replace it with another cantrip from the cantrip list. Whenever you cast Light, you can choose to focus the spell into a beam of light that deals 1d8 Radiant damage. As a bonus action, you can place your prism in front of the beam of light. By maneuvering the prism, the light will change into different colors of the rainbow. The damage type changes with the color of the light beam. Red = Fire damage, Orange = Thunder damage, Yellow = Lightning damage, Green = Acid damage, Blue = Cold damage and Purple = Poison damage. If you choose to change the color of the beam, you cannot move from your current location this turn. The spells damage increases by 1d6 at 5th level, 14th level and 17th level.
Option one takes no action which is strong, it allows invisibility for a creature even after casting spells, but they can't move, so I guess it's roughly as good as standard invis. It should likely be an action though.
Option 2 (ignoring the d8 to d6 pointed out) has no attack roll or save specified. I would advise having one, but having the colour change be no action.

6th level: Primary affinity: Choose a damage type; Fire, Radiant or Cold. You can choose to gain resistance to that damage type up to 3 times per long rest. Whenever you cast a spell with the damage type chosen, add your intelligence modifier to that damage.
This is mildly confusing I think you could cut the resistance and still have it be valuable.

10th level: Light shift: You have studied Light so much you now understand a bit of how it works. As a standard action, you can move up to 30 feet in an instant. You phase through anything that stands in your path, and if you phase through a creature, it takes 2d8 damage, the type of which is your Primary affinity (Fire, Radiant, Cold). You can't use this again until after a long rest or after casting a spell related to your Primary affinity.
This is nice, but needs more oomph, misty step is a bonus action 30 foot teleport level 1 spell. This is a once a long rest ability, action 30 foot teleport. The damage (which having no save is nice) should be higher. My current suggestion is 6d6 Although I'm not certain on the number so get some more feedback on it, but 2d8 is definitely not enough. If you removed the part that allows it to come back on casting spells you could give it a higher damage die keeping it more valuable into higher levels.

14th level: You can fire spells through your prism, using it as your magical focus. If you do, and a spell you cast deals damage, you can choose for the spell to deal Fire, Thunder, Lightning, Radiant, Acid, Cold or Poison damage instead of what it dealt before. (If Split Light is what ends up being the 2nd level option, then Light will instead deal around 8d6 or 10d6 damage instead of just growing by 1d6 at 14th and 17th)
With regards to the split light bit, a cantrip dealing 8d6 (which will have int mod on top) is a tad insane.

EkulNagrom
2016-06-09, 08:34 PM
Thank you, Final Hyena. I will make some changes.