PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Neverwinter Campaign setting for first time 5th ed Campaign

Fruitbat1919
2016-06-09, 05:13 PM
I do have some experience transferring material from one version of d&d to another, but have no experience using 4th ed material into 5th ed, as I've not dipped my toe into 5th yet.

Ok, so I've read my 5th ed books now, and it seems simple enough to run, but I thought it may be best to seek advise from those here that may have already transferred material from 4th to 5th.

So, I do like the 4th ed Neverwinter Campaign Setting, and think it would be reasonably easy (hopefully) to transfer for use with 5th ed.

My main question then: How best to transfer the Essence of the character themes over to 5th ed. Any pitfalls you may have experienced doing something similar?

Thanks in advance for any discussion on this matter.

BrianDavion
2016-06-09, 08:51 PM
my advice would be to buy, and read the sword coast adventurer's guide, as it'll explain whats changed from 4e to 5e

Gastronomie
2016-06-09, 09:17 PM
I honestly don't think it would be difficult to convert it. It includes NPCs, but not any "encounters" like in the case with linear campaigns. You really don't need to convert anything much.

You can re-fluff characters at will, like a Cambion for Mordai, and a Drow Priestess with different spells for the female lich dude whose name I forgot. After that there's no problem.

As for character abilities, think of them as special backgrounds and give them their appropriate bonuses. If someone wants to take a background that gives them combat abilities, consider banning Variant Human and giving everyone a feat at first level, and re-fluff the powerful background abilities as feats. That way they'd be both thematic and balanced.

Fruitbat1919
2016-06-10, 02:36 AM
my advice would be to buy, and read the sword coast adventurer's guide, as it'll explain whats changed from 4e to 5e

Yes agree. I am probably best picking up that book, as I will all of them eventually🙂

Fruitbat1919
2016-06-10, 02:43 AM
I honestly don't think it would be difficult to convert it. It includes NPCs, but not any "encounters" like in the case with linear campaigns. You really don't need to convert anything much.

You can re-fluff characters at will, like a Cambion for Mordai, and a Drow Priestess with different spells for the female lich dude whose name I forgot. After that there's no problem.

As for character abilities, think of them as special backgrounds and give them their appropriate bonuses. If someone wants to take a background that gives them combat abilities, consider banning Variant Human and giving everyone a feat at first level, and re-fluff the powerful background abilities as feats. That way they'd be both thematic and balanced.

I had considered having the utility powers that are part of the themes, as feats that could be taken instead of the ability score increases at the usual class levels for those increases. As it would be a one off Campaign, the characters are unlikely to be used in any other 5th ed games.

You are right as far as fluff is concerned - nothing to worry about converting🙂