PDA

View Full Version : Darkest Dungeon Stress, Virtue and Quirks rules

Aequetias
2016-06-09, 06:44 PM
Hey guys first time posting anything here.

I was inspired by the stress mechanic in the game Darkest Dungeon and decided to homebrew some rules for it.

I haven't really done any balancing so let me know if something is super OP/UP.

I know it's a bit of a read but I would REALLY appreciate your guys feedback

I had 5E in mind when I wrote it but I imagine it would work for other editions as well.

D&D Stress and Virtue rules

Each character has a new stat named ‘Stress’ and another named ‘Virtue’.

At creation a character will have 0/200 stress and 25% Virtue. Stress level may not be altered. Points may be taken from other stats to add to their Virtue stat up to 60%.

Adventuring is tough. It’s difficult, long and stressful work that only death can truly end. Adventurers are faced with tasks that would break the minds of most normal men and while they are heroic (or infamous) bulwarks against evil and injustice they are not fearless. Seeing the butchered remains left behind by a mad giant or the burned husk of a village looted by bandits will not leave all with a peaceful mind.

Stress damage is taken upon seeing disturbing events, creatures, objects or other unsettling events/things. A character will take 100 stress damage before their mind is truly tested. At 100 stress damage a character will roll a D100 saving throw (Unless already in a Moment of Virtue or suffering from a Broken Mind). At base they have 100% chance to fail minus their virtue chance. (100 - Virtue = Stress Test) If a character fails a Stress Test then they suffer a Broken Mind. That means that they have given into their fears due to the overwhelming stress of adventuring. They must roll a D6 on the ‘Broken Mind Table’. A character may remove their Broken Mind infliction by spending 24 hours without adventuring. The time may be reduced by certain quirks or items.

Broken Mind Table
1: Paranoid
2: Selfish
3: Fearful
4: Hopeless
5: Abusive
6: Masochistic

Paranoid: When a character is Paranoid, they will suspect everyone and everything around is plotting against them and is actively trying to kill them.
A Paranoid adventurer suffers the following qualities:
Must make a saving throw (+ Willpower mod) to use their abilities on allies and must pass saving throws (+ Willpower mod) to allow allies to affect them with powers.
The adventurer may not be in the front of the party.
When an ally within 10 feet is hit by an attack they must pass a saving throw (+ Willpower mod) or deal 10 stress damage to that ally.
When hit by an attack they must pass a saving throw (+ Willpower mod) or deal 10 stress damage to a random ally within 10 feet.

Selfish: When a character is Selfish they will start to act with little thought to other party members.
A Selfish adventurer suffers the following qualities:
Must make a saving throw (+ Willpower mod) to use abilities on their allies.
Must roll at the start of each turn, on a critical fail they may only move towards treasure or the nearest exit. If neither exist then they may not move.
Must roll a saving throw (+ Willpower mod) whenever the party finds treasure, on a fail they must attempt to take it for themselves.

Fearful: A Fearful character will become extremely cowardly and unable to cope with the adversities of the task.
A Fearful adventurer suffers the following qualities:
Must roll a saving throw (+ Willpower mod) at the start of each turn. On a fail they must move their full speed away from the enemy and may not attack.
Suffers +20% stress damage.
Suffers a -10 to hit any creature larger than them.
Cannot critically succeed or hit.

Hopeless: A Hopeless character sees themselves and this expedition as completely doomed, they will try to keep others alive but will more often than not get themselves killed. The hero has just given up on fighting.
A Hopeless adventurer suffers the following qualities:
Whenever an ally misses an attack they must make a saving throw (+ Willpower mod). On a fail they deal 10 stress damage to all allies.
Whenever an ally critically succeeds they must make a saving throw (+ Willpower mod). On a fail the critical success is reduced to a regular success and the ally suffers 10 stress damage.
Must pass a saving throw (+ Willpower mod) to allow themselves to be affected by an ally’s healing, buffing or protection.
Loses 2 speed and 4 initiative. Gains 1 speed when moving towards where the party came from.

Abusive: An Abusive character becomes cruel and critical towards the party, mocking them for the slightest mistake, and insulting them with every step.
An Abusive adventurer suffers the following qualities:
Whenever an ally misses an attack they must make a saving throw (+ Willpower mod). On a fail they must spend their next move action berating the ally. The ally suffers 10 stress damage.
Whenever an ally is hit by an attack they must roll a saving throw (+ Willpower mod). On a fail they must spend their move action berating the ally. The ally suffers 10 stress damage.
Whenever the character critically succeeds they must immediately end their turn and mock the party instead of acting. Each character in the party suffers 5 stress damage

Masochistic: A Masochistic character revels in their pain, trying to be the one getting hurt.
A Masochistic character suffers the following qualities:
After taking any amount of damage they must roll a saving throw (+ Willpower mod). On a fail they lose half their move speed on their next turn.
Must roll a saving throw (+ Willpower mod) at the start of each turn. On a fail they deal 2 damage to themselves. This may not cause them to go below 1 hit point.
Must roll a saving throw (+ Willpower mod) whenever a non-lethal but directly dangerous trap (Spiked floor, burning walls) is identified. On a fail they must activate the trap on themselves.
Must make a saving throw (+ Willpower mod) whenever an adjacent ally is hit by an attack. On a fail they switch places with the ally and take the damage themselves. This may only happen once per combat round. You may not choose to fail this check.

Virtue

Sometimes the stress of adventuring leads not to a broken mind, but a strengthened resolve. Some heroes shine brightest in the darkest of times. A character who passes a Stress test benefits from a Moment of Virtue. They refuse to give into their fears and instead push on, bolstering their party along with themselves. A character who benefits from a Moment of Virtue immediately returns to 25 stress and must roll a D5 on the Virtue table. A Moment of Virtue ends after 24 hours.

Virtue Table
1: Powerful
2: Courageous
3: Stalwart
4: Vigorous
5: Focused

Powerful: A Powerful character has become absolutely convinced of their own innate strength.
A Powerful Adventurer benefits from the following qualities:
+ 10% damage
+ 5 to strength checks
Will critically hit on 18, 19 or 20

Courageous: A Courageous character stands tall, driving the party on with verbal encouragement.
A Courageous adventurer benefits from the following qualities:
- 10% stress damage to all party members
At the start of each turn may roll a saving throw (+ Willpower mod). On a success the entire party gains 5 damage and 5 to hit on their next attack.
May spend a turn bolstering the party reducing all member’s stress by 25

Stalwart: A Stalwart character becomes utterly immovable in the face of terror, meeting every fresh struggle in the dark with little more than a raised eyebrow.
A Stalwart adventurer benefits from the following qualities:
May take any attack (Declared on hit) instead of an adjacent ally (Once per turn)
+3 to AC or Dex (up to 20) until the end of their Moment of Virtue.
Reduces an ally’s stress by 5 each time an attack misses them.

Vigorous: A Vigorous character feels a burst of energy to complete the task at hand, and is convinced of their ability to dispatch of the enemy.
A Vigorous adventurer benefits from the following qualities:
+ 2 speed and + 4 initiative.
+ 10 on perception checks.
At the start of each turn roll a saving throw (+ Willpower mod). On a success gain 20% of missing hit points as temporary hit points.

Focused: A Focused character will become completely determined towards the task and nothing will deter them from gaining their victory.
A Focused adventurer benefits from the following qualities:
+ 5 Initiative
+ 4 Willpower
Gains the benefits of a long rest upon a short rest. (Does not affect daily powers)

Heart Attacks

Though an adventurer is a true hero against evil they are not invulnerable, they may brave wounds and fractures that could cleave a normal man in two but they also suffer from afflictions to their mind and body. An adventurer who reaches 200/200 stress suffers a Heart Attack. A Heart Attack is rolled as a death saving throw. If they fail they suffer a Heart Attack, taking 50% of their maximum health as damage immediately, recovering 50 stress and suffer from On Edge. If the character passes a Heart Attack they recover 50 stress and suffer from On Edge. A character who is On Edge suffers from the following qualities.

- 1 to death saving throws
- 1 speed
- 5 to hit
- 2 to all stats
A long rest requires 10 hours of rest instead of 8.
They may critically fail on a 2 or 1

A character may recover from On Edge by taking a long rest.

D&D Quirks and Vices

Quirks are positive alterations to your character and vices are negative. A character may have a maximum of 3 quirks and 3 vices at any time. If a quirk or vice is acquired that would raise them above 3 they must roll a D3 and replace whichever one is rolled (Unless it has been locked in which case they roll a D2)

Quirks are acquired upon passing a Stress Test or if the DM declares it appropriate to be given. The only way to remove a quirk is by acquiring a new one to replace it. They may be reinforced by paying a fee to a properly trained individual. Only one quirk may be reinforced, a reinforced quirk may be removed only by a properly trained individual. The DM may also declare that a quirk has been properly acquired and given.

Vices are acquired upon failing a Stress Test or if the DM declares it appropriate to be given. The only way to remove a vice is by acquiring a new one to replace it or paying the fee to a properly trained individual. The DM may also declare that a vice has been properly ‘overcome’ and removed.

ALL POSITIVE QUIRKS

Armor Tinker - +5 to CHA with Blacksmiths while dealing with armor or shields

Weapon Tinker - +5 to CHA with Blacksmiths while dealing with weapons

Back Tracker - Always able to find your way back

Balanced - +5 to saving throws relating to balance

Beast Hater - +5 damage to Beast creatures

Clotter - +3 to saving throws verses bleeding

Clutch Hitter - When Health is below 50% +5 mod to melee attacks

Deadly Slasher - Crit on natural rolls of 19 or 20 with melee attacks

Eagle Eye - Crit on natural rolls of 19 or 20 with ranged attacks

Early Riser - +2 mod to hit if early in the day

Eldritch Hater - +5 damage to Eldritch creatures

Evasive - +5 to saving throws to avoid being caught

Fast Healer - Self healing abilities may be cast while moving but only once per encounter

Fated - On a natural roll of 1 re-roll, if you crit you may re-roll the attack

Healer's Gift - +3 mod to healing powers

Hard Noggin - +5 to saving throws when struck on the head

Hard Skinned - +2 ac verses piercing attacks when wearing cloth or no armor

Hatred of Unholy - +5 damage to Unholy creatures

Improved Balance - +5 mod to saving throws verses involuntary movement

Irrepressible - +5% Virtue Chance

Last Gasp - When Health is below 50% gain 1 speed

Lurker - +5 damage when in dark or darker light

Mankind Hater - +5 damage verses humans

Meditator - May spend 60 minutes meditating to reduce stress by 40

Night Owl - When in dark or darker light gain 1 speed

On Guard - May not be surprised in combat

Quickdraw - On first round of combat gain 2 speed

Quick Reflexes - Gain 1 dexterity up to a maximum of 20

Resilient - All stress heals increased by 10%

Second Wind - When Health is below 50% gain 1 speed

Slugger - +5 damage with edgeless weapons

Steady - Stress damage reduced by 10%

Tough - +5 to maximum HP

Unyielding - Death saving throws succeed on 10 instead of 11

Warrior of Light - When in light or brighter light gain 1 speed

ALL VICES

Ablutomania - +5% stress damage in unclean environments

Anemic - -5 to saving throws verses bleeding

Bad Gambler - -5 to gambling checks

Bloodthirsty - Upon killing any creature make a willpower saving throw, on failure you lose 4 speed next round due to investigating the body

Claustrophobia - + 20% stress damage taken in tight spaces

Clumsy - -5 mod to checks involving balance

Compulsive - Upon entering any room the character must perform an investigation check

Curious - When the character finds any object with strange properties they must perform an investigation check

Dacnomania - -5 mod to checks involving restraint verses fighting or killing

Dark Temptation - -5 mod to resisting unholy effects

Demonomania - Character must roll after a critical success. On a roll of one they believe that a demon has come for them and the roll is turned into a regular success.

Deviant Tastes - Is not allowed to visit any Brothel

Dipsomania - -5 mod to checks involving alchohol

Diurnal - -1 speed in dark or darker lighting

Dud Hitter - -1 damage when health below 50%

Egomania - -5 to checks involving humility

Enlightened - -10% to stress heals not involving meditation

Faithless - Cannot perform holy acts for stress relief

Fear of Beasts - +10% stress damage verses Beast creatures

Fear of Eldritch - +10% stress damage verses Eldritch creatures

Fear of Mankind - +10% stress damage verses humans

Fear of Unholy - +10% stress damage verses Unholy creatures

Flawed Release - -5 damage on ranged attacks

Fragile - 10% to maximum HP

Gambler - -10% to stress heals not involving gambling (Only game type gambling counts)

God Fearing - -10% to stress heals not involving prayer or the gods

Guilty Conscience - -5% to stress heals not involving self hardship

Hemophilia - -10 to saving throws involving bleeding

Hieromania - -5 to saving throws involving holy visions

Hylomania - Must investigate any small or smaller item

Kleptomaniac - -5 mod to saving throws verses personal theft

Known Cheat - Is not allowed to gamble

Lazy Eye - -2 mod to hit with ranged attacks

Light Sensitive - -1 mod to hit in light or brighter light

Love Interest - -5 to any seduction checks

Lygophobia - +10% stress damage in light or brighter lights

Necromania - Must investigate corpses discovered by the party

Nervous - +5% stress damage

Nocturnal - -2 initiative in bright or brighter lighting

Off Guard - -5 to initiative on first round of combat

Paranormania - Must investigate paranormal activity

Plutomania - Must make a willpower saving throw not to take money found unattended

Resolution - Will not consume alcohol

Ruminator - -10% to stress heals

Scattering - -3 damage to ranged attacks

Shocker - -5 mod to saving throws verses being stunned

Sitiomania - -5 mod to saving throws verses hunger or food
Slowdraw - -2 initiative on first round of combat

Slow Reflexes - -1 initiative and dexterity

Soft - -5% maximum HP

Thanatophobia - +10% stress damage when health below 50%

Tippler - May only drink for stress relief

Torn Rotator - -5 damage to adjacent enemies

Tuckered Out - -1 speed when health below 50%

Unquiet Mind - +10% stress damage in quiet environments

Weak Grip - Weapon will always drop on critical fails (Attacking)

Weak Grip on Life - Death saving throws fail on 11 (Instead of 10)

Winded - -2 speed when health below 50%

Witness - May not take part in holy stress relief

Aequetias
2016-06-10, 11:46 AM
Hoping somebody has a small bit of feedback at least

SuchADiceGuy
2016-06-10, 02:38 PM
I like the idea of a fear or stress system, but I feel the penalties of failing a stress check are simply way too harsh. I think if people received one of those conditions, they'd just be kicked out of the party most of the time. Forcing PvP mechanics in a campaign can get pretty problematic.

Also, I don't know if there's anything truly disturbing enough to mentally shatter an adventurer in the D&D world, when everyone knows that the world is just a dangerous place, filled with monsters. In games like Warhammer 40k and Call of Cthulhu, sanity mechanics make sense, because you're dealing with cosmic horrors that your character is literally powerless against. I'm no D&D expert, (I've only played 2 5e games) but I think the most powerful creature you can fight in the game is a dragon, which is by no means a "cosmic horror." You CAN beat it--it's just really hard.

I think some of the quirks and vices are a bit too severe. Adding a +5 or -5 to a roll is a pretty severe--I think only certain feats receive this kind of benefit.

Aequetias
2016-06-10, 04:10 PM
Alright, I can tone down the buffs/nerfs given to players, and that's part of the idea is that most people think of adventurers as fearless and heroic so this sort of 'brings them down to Earth' so to say, showing that they are still human (or whatever they might be)

Is it a bit too far fetched?

PotatoGolem
2016-06-11, 01:13 AM
There's a lot here that actually doesn't work with 5e. For instance, "Willpower mod" doesn't exist, and you're not specifying save DCs. In general, you seem to refer to a lot of rules that don't exist in 5e.

Also, some copy editing is necessary. In the stress conditions session it's often unclear whether you're referring to the sufferer or the sufferer's ally

manny2510
2016-06-11, 03:12 AM
Might want to spend some time here http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/, if only to consolodate the material into something coherent and pleasent to the eye rather than a wall of text the DM needs to search. This is very scattered, and I also saw this first on reddit as well.

Aequetias
2016-06-11, 10:19 AM
@Manny

Yep I posted it there too

I have a PDF written, is there a way to leave a download or link it somehow?

Aequetias
2016-06-11, 10:32 AM
There's a lot here that actually doesn't work with 5e. For instance, "Willpower mod" doesn't exist, and you're not specifying save DCs. In general, you seem to refer to a lot of rules that don't exist in 5e.

Also, some copy editing is necessary. I'm the stress conditions session it's often unclear whether you're referring to the sufferer or the sufferer's ally

Yep you're right, I meant to say wisdom (That's sort of the spiritual successor to willpower from 4E right? I learned D&D off of 4E so that's my natural mindset as far as stats)

Also I will be more clear with those, thank you.