PDA

View Full Version : Action Point Flaws

Unscrewed
2007-06-28, 02:07 PM
I own the Eberron Campaign Setting, which uses the Action Point variant. For those of you who don't know, the Action Points variant gives player's a limited pool of Action points, which replenish every level. A player can spend these points at any time to add 1d6 to any of their d20 rolls. As the Characters get higher in level, they roll more than one die and take the best result. Needless to say, these flaws can only be taken when using the action point variant.

Unheroic
You have a smaller of luck than most heroes.
Effect: Reduce the number of action points you receive each level by three.

Tainted Action
Your inner strength and luck comes from an unholy, corrupting force. Each time you call on that strength, it corrupts you a little bit more
Effect: If you are using the Taint Variant, each time you use an action point, you gain 1 point of corruption or depravity, chosen at random. If you are not using the Taint Variant, you take 1 point of ability burn to a random mental ability score (INT, WIS, or CHA).

Fumbled Action
Your inner reserve of luck sometimes misfires.
Effect: When you roll for an action point, roll an additional d20. If the result is a 1 or a 2, the action point is wasted and no bonus is given

brian c
2007-06-28, 02:55 PM
Man... for Tainted Action, you might as well just change it to "you can't use action points at all" for people without the Taint variant, because that permanent ability loss is pretty harsh

Callix
2007-06-28, 04:05 PM
I agree with Brian. How about ability burn damage? It's in the XPH, can't be restored by magic, but comes back naturally. But this is much steeper than Fumbled Action, which penalises 10% of your action points by 50%. That's probably too weak for a flaw. I'd either make it a chance to lose the action point entirely to no benefit, or a fleat reduction in benefit.

Unscrewed
2007-06-28, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Ability Burn sounds great for the Tainted Action flaw, thanks Callix. With Action Fumble, I'll take your advice Callix, and up it to lose the action point completely 10% of the time.