PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Character for Skull & Shackles

Costantine10
2016-06-10, 06:38 AM
He is the guy that I build for S&S campaign, 25 points-build and all official books allowed

Khayr al-Din
Human (Ulfen) inquisitor (monster tactician) of Besmara 1
CN Medium humanoid (human)
Init +10; Senses Perception +8
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 17, touch 14, flat-footed 13 (+3 armor, +4 Dex)
hp 10 (1d8+2)
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee rapier +4 (1d6+1/18-20)
Inquisitor (Monster Tactician) Spells Known (CL 1st; concentration +4)
1st (2/day)—cure light wounds, expeditious retreat
0 (at will)—create water, detect magic, guidance, light
Domain Reformation inquisition
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 7
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 15
Feats Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse
Traits besmara's blessing, reactionary
Skills Bluff +5, Climb +4, Diplomacy +7, Intimidate +8, Perception +8, Profession (sailor) +8, Sense Motive +8, Stealth +10, Swim +4
Languages Common, Skald, Undercommon
SQ hide tracks, judgment of escape, stern gaze +1, summon monster I
Other Gear hide shirt, rapier, 110 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Hide Tracks (Ex)
Inquisitor (Monster Tactician) Domain (Reformation Inquisition)
Granted Powers: You can speak with divine persuasiveness.
Judgment of Sacred Escape (Su)
Stern Gaze +1 (Ex)
Summon Monster I (6/day) (Sp)

Do you like it?

Now one of my friend want to build a character who uses net and trident or harpoon, do you have any advices for him? I can only thinking about lore warden becaus he trades of heavy armor for 2 more skillpoints( and heavy armor in a sea-campaign is not the best)

Florian
2016-06-10, 06:57 AM
Horse Horse Tiger Tiger.

Or to put it another way: so-so.

Itīs not the best choice to go DEX on an Inquisitor unless you plan to go all-out TWF with it. The Monster Tactician archetype will need some feat investments to work on the later levels, mainly Augment Summoning. Youīll want to have that ready when summoning actually begins o be a things, which simply precludes going the DEX2DMG way.

I like that you have Profession (Sailor) planned in, as this will play a major part in this AP. Beyond that, I think that you donīt play to the strength of this class. Fateīs Favored and Reckless Gambler as traits, Divine Favor and Wrath as starting spells will see you through most of the encounters.

Krazzman
2016-06-10, 07:03 AM
In my experience, if you don't want to use the Teamwork Feats (and solo tactics) then you should really look into the Preacher Archetype which fits for a reformation inquisition type character... I believe.

On a side note: which book is Monster Tactitian from? Could not find anything about it on d20pfsrd. Ok, found it.

Also I would recommend to switch to a Scimitar instead of Rapier for Dervish Dance. Since your damage seems really low right now.

Costantine10
2016-06-10, 07:23 AM
In my experience, if you don't want to use the Teamwork Feats (and solo tactics) then you should really look into the Preacher Archetype which fits for a reformation inquisition type character... I believe.

On a side note: which book is Monster Tactitian from? Could not find anything about it on d20pfsrd. Ok, found it.

Also I would recommend to switch to a Scimitar instead of Rapier for Dervish Dance. Since your damage seems really low right now.

Inquisitor hasn't profency with scimitar, and a rapier via fencing grace add dex to dmg.

Florian
2016-06-10, 07:33 AM
Inquisitor hasn't profency with scimitar, and a rapier via fencing grace add dex to dmg.

Fencing Grace simply isnīt worth it right now. Go with STR and a Longspear, get Shield Brace as your 5th level feat and be done using a Breastplate and Large Steel Shield.

Elricaltovilla
2016-06-10, 07:40 AM

Scimitars get dex to damage with the feat Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dervish-dance-combat). You should be fine with a rapier though, since a rapier with fencing grace is effectively the same as a scimitar with dervish dance.

You can probably live without Besmara's Blessing or Reactionary, though I won't fault on on Besmara's Blessing for flavor purposes. I'd recommend looking at some other traits. I also think you'd be better off with bless or divine favor instead of expeditious retreat. You can't always afford to hang back an let your summons do the work, and getting a little buff out there will help everyone.

Krazzman
2016-06-10, 08:44 AM

While I agree that you don't have it (would need to follow another god for it) I find Fencing Grace to be too restrictive as soon as your other hand is occupied you can't use it anymore? And you need another feat instead of 2 ranks of Perform(Dance). That is quite a lot of investment if you also need 2 feats for summoning and then 3 feats for Dex to damage. That would mean the soonest you could get all that is level 7. With Imp Initiative this would be 9. Meanwhile the version of your character that has instead focused on Str is having augmented summons from either level 1 or 3 (if you stay with Imp Ini).

Geddy2112
2016-06-10, 09:13 AM
Second getting augmented summons ASAP for the monster tactician inquisitor. They are gonna do the heavy lifting more than your swashbuckling will(but being an inquisitor of a pirate god, you can do that too). Fencing grace is decent, and it is flavorful since your deity's favored weapon is the rapier, but augment summons is going to do far more damage in the long run. Get it when you can afford the feat.

CLW is good to have at level 1, but learn another spell in its place once you have it on a wand. Put it in a spring loaded wrist sheath for johnny on the spot healing.

Since you have the money and good dex, grab a light crossbow or longbow so you can switch hit at lower levels. You can get a couple shots off in a ship to ship before there is boarding, or the like.Spring for a repeating crossbow or compound longbow when you get the money since you are proficient. No need to put feats into ranged combat, but having the utility is great. Also strap a buckler to your off hand, spring for mithral or darkwood for no ACP when you can.

Florian
2016-06-10, 10:22 AM
Second getting augmented summons ASAP for the monster tactician inquisitor. They are gonna do the heavy lifting more than your swashbuckling will(but being an inquisitor of a pirate god, you can do that too).

CLW is good to have at level 1, but learn another spell in its place once you have it on a wand.

Itīs actually pretty easy. 1) Spell Focus (Conjuration) 3) Augment Summoning 5 (or 7)) Summon (Alignment) Monster when the good choices become to be available.

That leaves little space for variations, so the Human bonus should simply go towards Combat Reflexes, getting the most out of a regular reach weapon (spear) as the is a great multiplier.

Secret Wizard
2016-06-10, 12:56 PM
There's really no point to DEX-to-damage from 20 point buy up. I think you'd save yourself a lot of feats if you just went with a shield and regular STR-to-damage.

I'd consider the Cloaked Wolf archetype over Monster Tactician. You'll find it suits the campaign a lot.

For your friend who wants to go with Net + Trident, Fighter is the best class.