PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Changing Features

Final Hyena
2016-06-10, 03:58 PM
A way to change your attributes, features and spells.
This is to integrate with another project I’m working on that gives new items that change how your class features work, as such being able to change certain features may be beneficial for using these new items. It is also good to allow players to change things up for fun.
It’s currently very cheap to keep it from being a big hassle, and because I don’t feel that trying out new styles should empty your funds.

Training
Training for a day costs no gold, but you can not be involved in other strenuous activities.

Divine Inspiration
Instead of spending a day training you can make an offering of 100 gp to a temple whose god would not disapprove of you.

Changing a spell
Two days of training allows you to change a known spell, pick a spell of which you are eligible to cast. At the end of the day you permanently lose a spell of equal or higher level (of your choice) and learn the new one.

Changing an attribute
For two days training you can lower an attribute score and raise another by one point.
The attribute lowered must have originally been higher than the one being raised.

Change a Class Feature
For two days training you can change a class feature where you had a choice e.g. a fighting style, totem spirit or maneuver.

Changing an Archetype
For seven days training you can change one archetype.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-10, 09:42 PM
I think that the cost of training shouldn't be in days or even gp.

For days it ends up being a false cost as days don't really cost you anything and in 5e yodomt have much else to spend your GP on.

I would say something like...

While you are training for another style or options you don't use your current style or option.

Changing Domains
You spend 2 - 4 sessions (not days but Sessions) not using your domain spells or domain features. You have pleased your new deity and showed you are willing to work for the change.

Special: Doing this too often or even more than once can have serious repercussions.

Changing a spell
You spend 2-4 sessions not using a particular *school* of spells (cantrips don't count). During this time you must cast spells from the school of a spell you are trying to learn.

During the last long rest of the 4th (or whatever number) session you finally are able to purge the spell from your mind/body (sorcerer) or desco strict it from your spell book and turn it into a new spell.

Changing an attribute
For 2 sessions you must continually use ability checks in the score you wish to raise even if you are not the best. However you must refrain from purposly using ability checks in 1 other score. Being forced to make an ability check isn't counted against you (defending with Athletics won't stop this process but trying to grapple with Athletics will).

You raise the score you are using more of by 1 and lower the score you aren't using by 1. You may change each stat by 2 points for each 4 levels you have obtained.

Change a Class Feature
You spend 2 sesssions not using the class feature you wish to rid yourself of and then gain a new selection.

Changing an Archetype
You spend 2 - 3 sessions not using your archetype to the best of your ability. You may then deselect an archetype.

To get something you have to give up something. Days and gp don't matter.

This would also lead players into role-playing.

Fred: Yo, Becky, you have been super calm these last few days and I haven't seen you enter that bear rage thing that you do... Are you ok? We are getting attacked by all these goblins and you haven't...

Becky: FRENZY BESERKER DEATH METAL RAGE KILL *jumps into a swarm of goblins*

Final Hyena
2016-06-11, 07:47 AM
I just don't want players to wait 2-4 sessions to try something different. I want a system that works fairly easily during down time or if the PCs have no time constraints during a session.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-11, 08:49 AM
I just don't want players to wait 2-4 sessions to try something different. I want a system that works fairly easily during down time or if the PCs have no time constraints during a session.

Then don't have rules at all and just say "you change features".

There really is no reason for them to pay GP (which in some cases might make sense but not always) or wait a number of days as the number of days doesn't really mean anything.

Just say...

"During an extended rest (where you can spend more than 48 hrs not doing anything too strenous) you can switch your class features."

Making a bunch of random rules that have no real hit on the player/character is just adding in fiddly rules for the sake of fiddly rules. I can understand wanting to charge a player and give them a minor setback/penalty for changing features... But if you do that it needs to be something worth it.

Final Hyena
2016-06-11, 08:57 AM
But if you do that it needs to be something worth it.
The point of these rules is to supplement another project, in which magic items change how class features work, as such being able to change to those other archetypes/styles allows exploring the new items.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-11, 09:23 AM
The point of these rules is to supplement another project, in which magic items change how class features work, as such being able to change to those other archetypes/styles allows exploring the new items.

That doesn't really change what I said...

These are still rules that are better served as "just do it whenever" than putting days/gp as a "cost".

Days really mean nothing to the players and GP... Well unless you are stingy gp is easier to come across than a a horrible message in a Disney Film.

Final Hyena
2016-06-11, 09:46 AM
Days are significant, doing other things when you have a time sensitive task in front of you should have repercussions.

When changing features during a session players are making a choice, they can change their abilities to be better suited for the task, but doing so will take time which will cause a problem.

Maybe more guards will arrive, maybe the employer is paying for a speedy resolution, maybe the camp is not finished and will be more heavily fortified in a few days.