PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers- Only three arrows?

Hiest, monkey
2007-06-28, 02:42 PM
The title of the comic. Forshadowing anyone?

Gundato
2007-06-28, 02:46 PM
Jesus H. Christ. What is it with people and huge sigs? Getting to the point where I will have to forsake the good ones to get rid of the giant ones.

And count the arrows. The average 3.5e quiver has 20 arrows.

Hiest, monkey
2007-06-28, 02:58 PM
sorry bout the sig, it used to be a spoiler within a spoiler, but figured that got old. The title of the comic is WITH THREE ARROWS LEFT IN THE QUIVER. Please learn to read before criticizing me Gundato.

Gundato
2007-06-28, 03:00 PM

Count the number of arrows she fires. Subtract that number from twenty.

TheNovak
2007-06-28, 03:02 PM
Though a peaceful man at heart, I will destroy you if you do not reduce the size of your signature.

Also, Gundato's right; despite what the title says, if Haley had a full quiver of 20 arrows, she should have 5 left. But either way, yeah, the lack of arrows might present a future problem.

But seriously. The Temple of Quotations thing is bad. No pyramid, please.

EDIT: Okay, sig reduced before I posted. My eyeballs thank you :smallsmile:

Gundato
2007-06-28, 03:04 PM
Well, I count her as having fired 16, dropped one. So 20 - (16 + 1) = 3

It is funny. I have been looking for that one dropped arrow all day and just noticed it about two minutes ago.

mohair_ninja
2007-06-28, 03:28 PM
For those who'll ask: she dropped an arrow on page 2, panel 2, when goblins moved the tower. The power of the plot requires, that she'll use all 3 of them and she won't need any arrow more to survive, but 21st arrow would have an opportunity to kill :mitd: /:redcloak: / :xykon: / :roach: , but again, power of the plot won't let her to end the story so early.
I counted 25 hobgoblins. Am I right?

Hiest, monkey
2007-06-28, 03:29 PM
The gods have contended in vain again, eh? I can see the giant planning that out knowing rules geeks may try to find fault with the title.

Edit: I was talking to Gundato. because he miscounted. and I in my cruel heart laughed. Sorry.

Anyway, I can see another horde of hobgoblin(ninjas) attacking them on the way back. while carrying Roy's body. I can see redcloak being there, and trying not to allow Roy's body to be saved. By talking to Xykon. who while he has the spell to trap Roy's soul, is probably to absentminded to figure out to use it on his own.

Scarab83
2007-06-28, 03:34 PM
I think the title meant, "She killed all the hobgoblins.. with three arrows left in the quiver."

If she had just tried to kill them all one at a time, she would have ran out of arrows. That's why she asked Belkar how many there were behind them. She ran out there knowing she'd have to pull some stunt out of her ass to kill them all. Of course.. Belkar could have easily helped her.

That's my take on it, at least.

Gundato
2007-06-28, 03:40 PM
Depends. Are they inside or outside of the city walls? If they are inside, Belkar couldn't help. If they are outside, Belkar shouldn't help :p

The last thing she needs is to have to deal with Belkar's battlelust.

Vargtass
2007-06-28, 03:42 PM
I think the title meant, "She killed all the hobgoblins.. with three arrows left in the quiver."

Of course.. Belkar could have easily helped her.

Belkar cannot easily help her, because he can't deal lethal damage yet; they are not outside city limits. But I agree, she needed to make the ballpark estimate that she could somehow reasonably wriggle herself out of it, or keep running.

Scarab83
2007-06-28, 03:55 PM
Ahh, you're right.. I keep forgetting about his Mark.

Hiest, monkey
2007-06-28, 04:05 PM
Anyway, I can see another horde of hobgoblin(ninjas) attacking them on the way back. while carrying Roy's body. I can see redcloak being there, and trying not to allow Roy's body to be saved. By talking to Xykon. who while he has the spell to trap Roy's soul, is probably to absentminded to figure out to use it on his own.

Yes hiest interesting theory.

C'mon guys, I don't mean to be mean (am being mean or I wouldn't say that) but is everyone here blind? Or do my theories make no sense? Is that why you guys are not noticing them?

JaxGaret
2007-06-28, 04:14 PM
Though a peaceful man at heart, I will destroy you if you do not reduce the size of your signature.

Ha! :smallsmile:

Scarab83
2007-06-28, 04:42 PM
Yes hiest interesting theory.

C'mon guys, I don't mean to be mean (am being mean or I wouldn't say that) but is everyone here blind? Or do my theories make no sense? Is that why you guys are not noticing them?

I'm not really sure what your theories are. All you've talked about is foreshadowing, which is pretty much present in every single comic anyways.

The fact that she only has 3 arrows left in that quiver might come back and bite her in the ass later? It's possible. Who knows how many quivers she's carrying around though.

evileeyore
2007-06-28, 09:05 PM
Edit: I was talking to Gundato. because he miscounted. and I in my cruel heart laughed. Sorry.Where was the miscount?
Quiver of 20 - 16 Fired = 4
Quiver of 4 - 1 dropped = with 3 left in the quiver.

C'mon guys, I don't mean to be mean (am being mean or I wouldn't say that) but is everyone here blind? Or do my theories make no sense? Is that why you guys are not noticing them?No.... just ignoring you. Your theory is not exactly groundbreaking work into the arena of plot twists.

And they've been discussing it. As well as other things that interest them.

And for the record.... no, you didn't invent nested quotes. Indeed on the Schlock Mercenary boards there used to be Nested Quote Wars.

I lost a marble in the Nested Wars of '02, terrible dark day...

kpenguin
2007-06-28, 09:08 PM
I find it unlikely that the title really means anything. I mean, when has the Giant put hints about future comics in the title?

Setra
2007-06-28, 10:39 PM
It sounds like a reference to a movie, or something like that.

Edit: Also, I count 17 arrows as well.

Scarab83
2007-06-28, 11:13 PM
I think Heist ran off with his/her tail between his/her legs. :smallwink:

SPoD
2007-06-29, 05:21 AM
I find it unlikely that the title really means anything. I mean, when has the Giant put hints about future comics in the title?

This.

I think it was a humorous title, highlighting the fact that she killed more than 20 enemies with less than 20 arrows. A quiver in D&D holds 20 arrows, standard. It's like saying, "She didn't even break a sweat" or some other expression to imply that the task wasn't even a challenge.

Note that the title doesn't say, "With Three Arrows Left," it says "With Three Arrows Left in the Quiver". She may well have dozens more quivers in her Bags of Holding, but she would have to dig them out.

holywhippet
2007-06-29, 05:48 AM
I'm thinking it's just to indicate she killed all those hobgoblins and still had arrows to spare.
Someone on the main comic thread someone suggested it was a reference to a quote by Gus Tarballs from the Jagged Alliance games:

"There were six of them and six rounds in my gun. When I was done, there were still three rounds in the clip."

evileeyore
2007-06-29, 07:33 AM
It sounds like a reference to a movie, or something like that."One in the Chamber" is a fairly popular meme refering to having only one bullet left in a revolver or getting an extra round into an automatic by chambering one, then putting in a full clip, so yuo'll have X in the clip and 1 in the chamber.

So I could see this as a reference to old west style shoot outs where the hero might end up "with one left in the chamber" going into his next crucial gun fight.

squidthingy
2007-06-29, 07:53 AM
All you people are counting arrows, try counting the hobgoblins, she kills 14 before the tower drops, but then when she is backing away after falling off the platform(2-page 4-frame) you can count 10 hobbos, that means belkar was off by two

Lizard Lord
2007-06-29, 12:00 PM

Also, Gundato's right; despite what the title says, if Haley had a full quiver of 20 arrows, she should have 5 left.

maybe the quiver wasn't full when she started fighting the hobgoblins.

Soepvork
2007-06-29, 12:04 PM
All you people are counting arrows, try counting the hobgoblins, she kills 14 before the tower drops, but then when she is backing away after falling off the platform(2-page 4-frame) you can count 10 hobbos, that means belkar was off by two

I was just gonna say something similar:

This post started to make me count the arrows and the hobbo's. Assuming that, with the 15 arrows she **** before the tower drop (17 total - 1 after the tower - 1 arrow dropped= 15 arrows), she killed 15 hobbo's, and counting 10 hobbo's beneath the tower that weren't there before (compare panel 4 with panel 6 on the second page), she kills a total of 15 + 10 + 1=26 hobbo's. Even if you don't count the hobbo's that didn't visibly get x's before the tower drop (one on panel 5 and one on panel 12 of the first page) that still leaves 24 hobgoblins.

Dalenthas
2007-06-29, 12:32 PM
I counted 22 hobgoblins and 17 arrows. I don't know where you guys are coming up with extra hobbos. Maybe you're counting ones killed in previous panels twice?

Luklan
2007-06-29, 01:14 PM
In case people can't find the 17 arrows;

Frames 4, 5 and 7: 1 +3 +1
Subtotal: 5
Frames 9, 11, 12 and 13: +3 +1 +3 +2
Subtotal: 14
Frames 14, 17: 1 dropped +1 fired
Subtotal: 16
Frame 21: +1
Total Count: 17

I know I counted several times and could only hit 16, even -with- the dropped one :smalleek: Dunno which one I missed either, because I think I counted that one the second time through and missed one I'd seen previously... Easy to do at 4:10am though.

Now for the hobgobbos...

Frames 4, 5 and 7: 1 +3 +1
Subtotal: 5
Frames 9, 11, 12 and 13: +3 +1 +3 +2
Subtotal: 14

This is where it gets tricky... EITHER

A)Frame 19: +10 (headcount)
Subtotal: 24
which means Frame 21: +1
Total Count: 25

OR

B) Frame 16: +9 (head count)
Subtotal: 23
which means Frame 21: +1
Total Count: 24

Whichever it is, that's a lotta kills for so few shots, for our dear friend Haley :smallamused:

Hiest, monkey
2007-06-29, 02:50 PM
Where was the miscount?

No.... just ignoring you. Your theory is not exactly groundbreaking work into the arena of plot twists.

And for the record.... no, you didn't invent nested quotes. Indeed on the Schlock Mercenary boards there used to be Nested Quote Wars.

Damn, i thought I had invented something

Scarab83
2007-06-29, 02:51 PM
17 arrows used, 24 hobgoblins killed.

Cade Shadow
2007-06-29, 03:05 PM
Where was the miscount?

No.... just ignoring you. Your theory is not exactly groundbreaking work into the arena of plot twists.

On another board, all of the people would forget to stop nesting quotes. Because the board had a page size max rather than a post count/page, we had some pages that was just one post because of all of the nested quoting.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-06-29, 03:21 PM
Where is everyone getting the extra Hobgoblins wasted? I count twenty-two.

Scarab83
2007-06-29, 03:28 PM
Where is everyone getting the extra Hobgoblins wasted? I count twenty-two.

Panel 4: 1 Hobbo
Panel 5: 3 Hobbos
Panel 7: 1 Hobbo
Panel 9: 3 Hobbos
Panel 11: 1 Hobbo
Panel 12: 3 Hobbos
Panel 13: 2 Hobbos
Panel 16: 10 Hobbos about to be killed

Total: 24

Although, now that I look at it, I suppose there could be one more hobbo hidden behind the chunk of wall in panel 16. Which could account for the extra head in panel 19.

Soepvork
2007-06-29, 05:51 PM
Panel 4: 1 Hobbo
Panel 5: 3 Hobbos
Panel 7: 1 Hobbo
Panel 9: 3 Hobbos
Panel 11: 1 Hobbo
Panel 12: 3 Hobbos
Panel 13: 2 Hobbos
Panel 16: 10 Hobbos about to be killed

Total: 24

Although, now that I look at it, I suppose there could be one more hobbo hidden behind the chunk of wall in panel 16. Which could account for the extra head in panel 19.

I guess I agree with your head count. On the other hand, I counted from the number of arrows: she used 17 arrows. She dropped 1 arrow and used on to drop the chunk, meaning the other 17-1-1=15 arrows used to kill hobgoblins. In addition, I count 10 heads on panel 19 (that weren't there on panel 16), resulting in 25 kills. One could argue that the hobgoblins shown from the back in panels 5 and 11 aren't necessarily killed in one shot. This still leaves 25-2=23 kills.

Scarab83
2007-06-29, 06:49 PM
I guess I agree with your head count. On the other hand, I counted from the number of arrows: she used 17 arrows. She dropped 1 arrow and used on to drop the chunk, meaning the other 17-1-1=15 arrows used to kill hobgoblins. In addition, I count 10 heads on panel 19 (that weren't there on panel 16), resulting in 25 kills. One could argue that the hobgoblins shown from the back in panels 5 and 11 aren't necessarily killed in one shot. This still leaves 25-2=23 kills.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.