PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.PF Buying Contacts

2016-06-10, 06:55 PM
Had a player ask if there was a way to spend resources in order to have connections to individuals with particular skill sets, like a poison expert, or an arms dealer, or what have you. I'm not aware of any such system in 3.5 or PF (I know Shadowrun has such a system), and I'm unsure how to rule it. If there's an existing sub-system for this kind of thing, I'd appreciate being informed of it.

Gildedragon
2016-06-10, 07:07 PM
3.5 has an optional contacts system
It's in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/contacts.htm)
Open that to them

Also as a DM you can build them to find contacts: Gather Information check (DC10+HD), then a diplomacy check... And bam! Instant plot hook

Florian
2016-06-10, 07:14 PM
Had a player ask if there was a way to spend resources in order to have connections to individuals with particular skill sets, like a poison expert, or an arms dealer, or what have you. I'm not aware of any such system in 3.5 or PF (I know Shadowrun has such a system), and I'm unsure how to rule it. If there's an existing sub-system for this kind of thing, I'd appreciate being informed of it.

"Connections" like in Shadowrun donīt exist as you can always go shopping based on community size. No need for anything special to do that. Certain feats or Rogue tricks, like Black Market Connection, help here by simulating a bigger community size when it comes to shopping, but thatīs it and more is not needed.

2016-06-10, 07:27 PM
3.5 has an optional contacts system
It's in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/contacts.htm)
Open that to them

Also as a DM you can build them to find contacts: Gather Information check (DC10+HD), then a diplomacy check... And bam! Instant plot hook

This looks like it'll work for our purposes, thank you.

"Connections" like in Shadowrun donīt exist as you can always go shopping based on community size. No need for anything special to do that. Certain feats or Rogue tricks, like Black Market Connection, help here by simulating a bigger community size when it comes to shopping, but thatīs it and more is not needed.

You know what, you're right, I completely forgot that buying things is the only thing a PC would want a contact for. Information can be gathered with a simple skill check and a "3 hours later", who cares about that stupid roleplaying garbage; similarly, I'm sure there's just an expert on exotic languages living in retirement in every run-down thorp with nothing better to do than translate ancient documents for people passing through. Thank you for helping me realize that RAW has tools to let me completely bypass the human element of the game.

Florian
2016-06-11, 05:58 AM
You know what, you're right, I completely forgot that buying things is the only thing a PC would want a contact for. Information can be gathered with a simple skill check and a "3 hours later", who cares about that stupid roleplaying garbage; similarly, I'm sure there's just an expert on exotic languages living in retirement in every run-down thorp with nothing better to do than translate ancient documents for people passing through. Thank you for helping me realize that RAW has tools to let me completely bypass the human element of the game.

I rather think that you completely misunderstood me on this.

The "Connection" rule as used in Shadowrun is a way for players to insert NPC into the setting to facilitate their individual "shopping needs", no matter if thatīs equipment, information or missions. Itīs actually the anti-thesis of role-playing it as you already have "paid" for it and now you use it. It only requires a roll and you can spent karma on upgrading it.

Contrary to that, I rather think that you should fully flesh out individual NPC as part of the overall setting and "just" use the rules the check what is or is not available by them at a given time.

Gnaeus
2016-06-11, 04:51 PM
The downtime rules in the pfsrd allow you to have groups (which are often single individuals) working for you. So you could hire a Sage, or a bard, or 5 smugglers. You could then presumably leave them to do what they want in the city and use them as contacts instead of having them generate resources or money.