PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Homebrew Race: Pikachu!

EkulNagrom
2016-06-10, 08:20 PM
If you read this, thank you. This is probably a terrible idea, and is a product of my boredom. If you hate the idea of this, then please tell me so I'll never make something like it again. If you actually think this is a not-so-terrible idea, then please tell me that too. I also doubt anyone will use this, but here it is anyway.

Pikachu

Score increase: Your dexterity score raises by 2

Age: A Pikachu matures around 18, and lives to be around 60.

Alignment: No Pikachu likes being confined, and so leans towards the freedom of chaos. They have no real pull towards good or evil.

Size: A Pikachu is almost 2 feet tall. Your size is small.

Speed: A Pikachu has a base walking speed of 20 feet. If you are not carrying anything, then you can run on all fours and increase your speed to 40 feet.

Languages: You studied for weeks on end to speak common, and only common. You cannot write it, but you couldn't care less about writing common. When you speak common, you do it with pride.

Keen senses: You have proficiency in the Perception skill.

Animal familiarity: You can roughly communicate with dumb animals. You have proficiency in the Animal Handling skill.

Lightning rod: You have immunity to Lightning damage. If Lightning damage would be dealt to you, instead add the damage that you should have taken and add it to your next damage roll.

Static: Enemies attempting to grapple you have disadvantage. On a failed grapple, you make make a free attack.

Thundershock: You can discharge electricity at a foe as an action. Make an attack roll at a target, on a hit the target takes 1d10 lightning damage. The range of this attack is 40 feet. A flammable object hit by this ability ignites if it isn't being worn or carried. You may use this feature any time you could cast a cantrip, and use it as many times as you like. (This is just the cantrip Fire Bolt, but lightning based.)

Subclasses: Some Pikachu prefer to take a standup approach, while others prefer to stay away. Thus, there are distinct subclasses among the race.

Physical attack centered
You prefer to be closer during combat, using your speed to overtake your opponents.

Score increase: Your constitution score is raised by 1

Volt tackle: You charge head on at a target, crackling with electricity. The target must make a saving throw. If it's a failure, you deal 2d10 lightning/bludgeoning damage to the target, who is knocked prone. The damage is halved on a success and they are not knocked prone. You cannot use this feature again until after a short rest. The damage increases by an additional 1d10 at level 6, 11, and 16. It increases by 2d10 at level 20.

Nuzzle: Your electric cheek pouches shock people on contact. You have advantage on grapples and you can attempt to grapple medium creatures.

Natural defenses: You understand the need for protection. You have proficiency in light armor, simple weapons and your unarmed strike.

Special attack centered
You prefer to be a save distance from danger, zapping foes with lightning before they get close.

Score increase: Your charisma score is raised by 1

Thunderbolt: At level 5, you learn the spell Lightning Bolt. It is always prepared, and doesn't could against the spells you know. Cha is your spellcasting ability for the spell.

Thunder: You can summon a wicked bolt of lightning from above your enemies. You make a spell attack roll, and on a hit the target makes a saving throw. If the saving throw is a failure, you deal 3d10 lightning damage to the target, who is stunned. On a success, the damage is halved and the target is not stunned. The damage increases by d10 at level 6, 11, 16 and 20. Additionally, when you reach level 20, you may target one other additional creature. It is an instant hit when it is raining. You cannot use this feature again until after a short rest.

Lightning focus: You can use your tail as a magical focus for your spells. You learn the Shocking grasp cantrip, and must attempt to touch your target with your tail when casting it.

Distanced: You know how to blend into the background. You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.

And that's Pikachu! If you read this far, I'm very grateful. Again, this is a terrible idea, and you can throw hate and abuse at me all you want for making this. I would like to know if anyone wants to see more stuff like this. If there is none, I'll just never make something like this again. And again, thank you.

And just for cover: The names Pikachu and Pokemon are copyrighted and owned by the Pokemon Company.

Stan
2016-06-10, 09:36 PM
As an aside, I'd never have a character that can't really talk beyond a one shot game or something that happens to them in the game for a short time. After an hour or so, it goes from amusing to annoying and frustrating. If meowth can talk, so can a PC.

It's simpler but less accurate to stretch them to small. I'd improve con, not strength for such a small creature.

I haven't read the powers in detail but one option has a strong starting power, the other has a very strong power that's delayed so late that the majority of games will not see it come up. It's ok to delay things to 3rd or even 5th, but to 10th is too far to me.

EkulNagrom
2016-06-11, 01:59 PM
As an aside, I'd never have a character that can't really talk beyond a one shot game or something that happens to them in the game for a short time. After an hour or so, it goes from amusing to annoying and frustrating. If meowth can talk, so can a PC.

It's simpler but less accurate to stretch them to small. I'd improve con, not strength for such a small creature.

I haven't read the powers in detail but one option has a strong starting power, the other has a very strong power that's delayed so late that the majority of games will not see it come up. It's ok to delay things to 3rd or even 5th, but to 10th is too far to me.

Thank you, Stan. I'll change what you noted. I appreciate the help.

Rune Knight
2016-12-23, 09:48 PM
This may be a few months late, but I can offer my thoughts on this. I'll start off by saying that I haven't got to play as much 5e as I want, so my intuition may be a bit off. But I've been working on something like this myself recently, and I'm surprised I finally found something relating to it. I also go, mostly, by a scoring system I found a short while back. The basic idea is that if the PhB player races are fairly balanced, then each of their features can be given a point value that adds up to be about equal to one another. Most of the PhB races ended up being pretty close, with dwarves and elves being outliers. I would say the magic number is around 6.5, but dwarf and elf went all the way up to 8.

First off, I know how hard it is to put any tradeskill, profession, or an expertise feature onto a Pokémon species, because they don't really have a culture of their own in the current sources. In the ones I've put together for them, I tried to leave .5-1 points for any culture that species developed in the setting. However, in the description of this Pikachu, it was said that they had to learn common and were proud of it. Implying that most Pokémon in this setting are still just kinda like what they are in the games, so that part is fine.

Now to the actual numbers. Since age and alignment don't usually factor into the pure mechanical balance, I'll skip over them.

Pikachu
2 Ability Score Increase = +2 | No matter what ability is increased, the value was always 1:1
Small Size = -.5 | Being small reduces your base move of 30 to 25 and restricts weapons with the Heavy property.
20 move = -.5 | 5' of movement was attributed half a point value in the system I'm using.
Language = -.5 to -1 | Usually player races can both speak, read, and write two languages.
Skill proficiencies = +1 | Even if it is the godly Perception skill, it's still valued the same as other skills. This is counting Animal Handling as well.
Lightning Rod = +1 | Resistance and Immunity were both given a .5 value, but I've never really agreed with that. I'd say it's definitely +1 with the extra damage though.
Static = +.5 | I used my own judgement for this one. I know advantage maths out to be about a +5 on the roll it affects, and grappling is a pretty specific situation that usually only comes up with players or monsters that specialize in it. So, it's kind of like having an expertise. You might want to define what kind of a failure triggers the free attack though, or make it a reaction attack?
Thundershock = +.5 | This is could actually be weaker than having regular Fire Bolt cantrip, since it has a third of the range. It is however a different damage type, where many more things resist or are immune to fire, compared to lightning. Whether it is fairly balanced or underpowered slightly, I think it works.

For the subraces.

Physical Attack Centered
1 Ability Score Increase = +1
Volt Tackle = +1 | This one was a bit tough, but eventually I compared it to a powerful cantrip. You'll definitely want to define what kind of saving throw it is, but I'm pretty sure it was intended as a Strength save since the target is being knocked down.
Nuzzle = +.5 to +1 | Another tough one to gauge, the advantage part was worth .5, but the grappling was another thing. For one, I'm honestly not sure if a small creature does have any significant penalties on grappling a medium sized creature. I'm aware of the Grappler feat, but does being one size larger only give you the option of succeeding a check to break out of a grapple?
Natural Defenses = +0 to 1 | Proficiency with armor and weapons. But likely anyone who wants to roll a character that can make use of the other features for this subrace will have these proficiencies. It's kind of like mountain dwarf in that regard.

Special Attack Centered
1 Ability Score Increase = +1
Thunderbolt = +1 | Most level appropriate spells would be given a +.5, but this one is a good one and always prepared. So, it gets a bump.
Lightning Focus = +.5 | Just a cantrip and some flavor.
Skill proficiency = +.5

So, I'm going to give this player race this rating:
Pikachu (3-3.5)
-Physical Focus (+2.5-4) I would personally give this one a +3, 3.5 if the character is a pure caster (because you sometimes have that guy).
-Special Focus (+3)

At first glance, I thought it was on the strong side. But typing it out, it turns out closer to most of the PhB races. I guess all the attack options threw me off. There's just one thing missing to give it that true Pokémon feel: Evolution.

EkulNagrom
2016-12-24, 03:15 PM
Thank you for responding, Rune Knight! It's fine that it's a few months late, I actually haven't had a chance to use my own race yet. And everything you've said is perfect. Your critique is exactly what I need for my DM to let me use Pikachu. So; Thank you thank you thank you!

I'm glad someone found this again. I thought it was a lost cause. And I'll try to think of something involving Evolution. Maybe not for Pikachu, but if I do something else Pokemon related. So again, thank you.