PDA

View Full Version : FFV Four job Fiesta! #BlameEverhate

Marade
2016-06-11, 04:32 AM
So the four job fiesta will start soon, any runners this year?

Info about the event at http://fourjobfiesta.com!

(Don't use #blameeverhate to register unless you're a sadist. I'm not kidding.)

huttj509
2016-06-11, 05:33 AM
I'm doing a chaos 750 berserkerRisk to start off this year.

Marade
2016-06-11, 06:38 AM
I'm doing a chaos 750 berserkerRisk to start off this year.

I'm doing the same thing one one of my twitter accounts, and #blameeverhate on the other. Hopefully both won't be quadzerkers...

KillingAScarab
2016-06-12, 04:28 AM
Showing some love to Classic Jobs. I got a knight and a white mage, so not only will I go for the Brave Blade, I should be able to handle damage tiles better than last year.

huttj509
2016-06-12, 07:50 AM
So, I'm doing Chaos 750 BerserkerRisk.

I have Rdmage, Berserker, Berserker, Dancer.

My brother's doing Chaos No750.

He has 3 Berserkers.

*ahem*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

KillingAScarab
2016-06-12, 09:48 AM
Got my Red Mage. Time to put away the fun toys such as the katana and the whip and get serious.

So, I'm doing Chaos 750 BerserkerRisk.

I have Rdmage, Berserker, Berserker, Dancer.

My brother's doing Chaos No750.

He has 3 Berserkers.

*ahem*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAIf you're looking for Red Mage tips, I have some.

Link to the FF Wiki translations article for FF5 (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_V/Translations), in case you're using a different version than I am.

While they do not compare to black mages for elemental damage output nor with white mages for healing, Red Mages get almost every negative status effect spell. They only lack the ones in !Time, Death from !Black (inflictable by the Assasin Dagger legendary weapon, or much earlier with a Death Sickle if you can use axes) and Berserk from !White (the Power Staff can inflict it). Other classes such as Mystic Knight are more successful in inflicting their status effects, but if you get !Dualcast toward the end of the game, you can use it to have a better chance while targeting all enemies. This works well with spells such as Sleep, but not with spells such as Toad, as you can un-toad enemies you just affected with the first spell.

For a Red Mage, I tend to mix a little between armor good against physical attacks and armor with good magic evade and magic defense. They do better than other mages in the front row, and Protect helps with that, but with their hit points they cannot stay there for long. An Elven Mantle will help them stay there, and the Healing Staff will let them recover for free in the early game.

The donations were already around 10,000 USD before the Fiesta even started, and days ago I noticed someone pledged 750 USD just to add more berserkers.

Somehow, I got off with just a berserker as the water job during my berserker risk run last year. :smallcool:

huttj509
2016-06-12, 10:44 AM
The donations were already around 10,000 USD before the Fiesta even started, and days ago I noticed someone pledged 750 USD just to add more berserkers.

Somehow, I got off with just a berserker as the water job during my berserker risk run last year. :smallcool:

The donations may have given 1000 berserkers, but 800 people signed up for berserker risk.

So my run had 1 guaranteed berserker + ~25% chance of a second berserker + normal berserker chance for each non-water crystal. I wound up with 2.

My brother's run wasn't berserker risk. Chaos just decided he wanted berserkers.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-12, 11:42 AM
My brother's run wasn't berserker risk. Chaos just decided he wanted berserkers.Oh, yeah, now I see why you were laughing. Slow today.

The donations may have given 1000 berserkers, but 800 people signed up for berserker risk.I could be guilted into taking berserker risk during my second run... I want to try upgrade, though.

huttj509
2016-06-12, 02:54 PM
Oh, yeah, now I see why you were laughing. Slow today.

I could be guilted into taking berserker risk during my second run... I want to try upgrade, though.

Berserker risk is prereg only (for the extra berserkers). During the fiesta I think it just guarantees you one from the water crystal.

The reason it's prereg only is so that, when jobs are decided, the system knows how much of the 10k was donated, and how many berserkerrisk players there are, in order to dole the berserkers out properly.

Marade
2016-06-13, 04:20 AM
So... I messed up my reg command and ended up doing a risk+750 run. Black mage, zerk, time mage, blue mage. Should be smooth sailing!

KillingAScarab
2016-06-13, 11:44 AM
So... I messed up my reg command and ended up doing a risk+750 run. Black mage, zerk, time mage, blue mage. Should be smooth sailing!That's still so weird to me that you can break the 750 restriction with berserker risk. But, I guess you can technically break berserker risk with upgrade, now, if one of your later jobs is not berserker.

If I had that set, I think Equip Axes would go on the Blue Mage as soon as possible for Goblin Punch.

Marade
2016-06-13, 02:21 PM
That's still so weird to me that you can break the 750 restriction with berserker risk. But, I guess you can technically break berserker risk with upgrade, now, if one of your later jobs is not berserker.

If I had that set, I think Equip Axes would go on the Blue Mage as soon as possible for Goblin Punch.

Yeah, the thing is that I got Blue mage at the earth crystal and now I run pretty much all the mages as hybrid casters and the zerk with black lvl 6 for when I get earth hammer and rune axe!

KillingAScarab
2016-06-14, 09:58 AM
Yeah, the thing is that I got Blue mage at the earth crystal and now I run pretty much all the mages as hybrid casters and the zerk with black lvl 6 for when I get earth hammer and rune axe!Depending upon what version you're playing, in the late game you may be able to use an underflow bug to do more Magic-derived damage. I know it was fixed in Android/iOS, I haven't tried it in GBA, but it was definitely there in Super Famicom/SNES. There are some pieces of equipment which lower magic to below 0 in the case of a berserker. While you have those equipped you can do damage to all non-floating enemies with the Gaia Hammer's spell as if you had I think over 120-something Magic. This page (http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb982144/games/ff5_berserkers/) demonstrates what happens with the Thornlet, the Titan's Gloves and the Rune Axe (ctrl+f for underflow).

Marade
2016-06-14, 10:03 AM
Yeah, that's fixed in GBA unfortunately... But honestly, the chicken knife will do the job I the endgame!

Knaight
2016-06-14, 01:20 PM
I looked at the list of specifications, and I'm not seeing #BlameEverhate anywhere. What does it do?

huttj509
2016-06-14, 02:26 PM
I looked at the list of specifications, and I'm not seeing #BlameEverhate anywhere. What does it do?

4 berserkers.

Everhate was one of the first people in the FFV run community to successfully pull off a 4 berserker run. He passed away a couple of months ago. #BlameEverhate was added as an option in his memory.

Marade
2016-06-14, 02:36 PM
Yeah, it's a non-listed command that guarantees four berserkers.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-15, 02:42 AM
He passed away a couple of months ago.I did not know this. Now I have to try to fit in a third run just to try this run.

huttj509
2016-06-15, 05:48 PM
Ugh, I'm in that part where it's "go level or try to push through."

Red Mage, 2 Berserkers, and a Dancer. Up to Final Exdeath. First attempt was going ok until I caught a meteor right before Neo came out, killing 3 of my 4. Rethinking preparedness.

So, I'm level 30/31 at present.

Got a dancer with Equip axes who's my main damage dealer with the chicken knife, ribbon, rainbow dress, and hermes sandels. Does 9999 every sword dance.

My Red Mage has no 2nd ability to use (haven't ground doublecast). Using gold hairpin for reduced MP, hermes sandles, and weapon is generally heal staff for free cura. Runs support.

Berserker 1 has Equip Ribbons, Thor Hammer in the back row, aegis Shield, and equipping a ribbon, rainbow dress, and hermes sandles. Doing about 1500 damage per hit tops.

Berserker 2 has red magic (Steam version so no underflow), and is using the Rune Axe with a Flame Shield, Crystal gear, and Hermes sandles. Doing similar to thor hammer guy actually, maybe 500 more per hit.

Honestly, I think I should grind up 10 levels and see how much that helps.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-16, 07:39 AM
Ugh, I'm in that part where it's "go level or try to push through."

Red Mage, 2 Berserkers, and a Dancer. Up to Final Exdeath. First attempt was going ok until I caught a meteor right before Neo came out, killing 3 of my 4. Rethinking preparedness.

So, I'm level 30/31 at present.
Honestly, I think I should grind up 10 levels and see how much that helps.I tend to end up about 5..10 levels higher in most Fiestas.

Berserker 1 has Equip Ribbons, Thor Hammer in the back row, aegis Shield, and equipping a ribbon, rainbow dress, and hermes sandles. Doing about 1500 damage per hit tops.I'm curious as to why you used a rainbow dress on a berserker. You aren't getting Sword Dance, !Flirt is probably not very successful, a berserker can't use !Flirt anyway, and a berserker is already immune to confuse (though characters with the berserk ability are not, I believe). Is it for the magic evade?

huttj509
2016-06-16, 09:44 AM
I tend to end up about 5..10 levels higher in most Fiestas.

I'm curious as to why you used a rainbow dress on a berserker. You aren't getting Sword Dance, !Flirt is probably not very successful, a berserker can't use !Flirt anyway, and a berserker is already immune to confuse (though characters with the berserk ability are not, I believe). Is it for the magic evade?

It has like only 1 less def, more magic evade, and a lot less weight than the crystal armor (for attack speed).

huttj509
2016-06-16, 02:21 PM
Well, can consistently get to Neo. Amalgest keeps killin me, and I have no reliable way to inflict break.

*grinds for hp*

But hey, got necrophobe down, and even got a genji armor! Thanks thief knife!

aturtledoesbite
2016-06-16, 11:06 PM
Oh hey this forum has an FJF thread!

http://puu.sh/prtED.png
http://puu.sh/pryUD.png http://puu.sh/pryVg.png
http://puu.sh/pvxdv.png

I miiiiiiiight have played this game a bit too much.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-17, 01:51 AM
It has like only 1 less def, more magic evade, and a lot less weight than the crystal armor (for attack speed).Yeah, berserkers are already slow enough without adding a full 8 weight from one piece of equipment.

Well, can consistently get to Neo. Amalgest keeps killin me, and I have no reliable way to inflict break.

*grinds for hp*

But hey, got necrophobe down, and even got a genji armor! Thanks thief knife!Congrats on Necrophobe. As for Break, I have had it land from Catoblepas in the Magic Lamp one time. Its probably going to be a matter of luck that your berserkers attack the same target: the one which casts Almagest.

Oh hey this forum has an FJF thread!

I miiiiiiiight have played this game a bit too much.It seems you're enjoying yourself. How was your upgrade run?

aturtledoesbite
2016-06-17, 02:00 AM
It seems you're enjoying yourself. How was your upgrade run?

It wasn't all that interesting! I had Red Mage up to Sandworm since that's when I picked up !Red 3 (I wasn't going for Dualcast), and then I got Berserker. For Sandworm. I immediately said "nope" and went ahead and upgraded to my Fire job, Ninja. That carried me all the way to the start of World 3, where I did my last upgrade, to Summoner. Unfortunately, I hadn't picked up Catoblepas or Carbuncle; my only summons at the time were Ifrit, Titan, and Golem. Fortunately, I'd bought out a full complement of ninja scrolls to throw, and those things are powerful in the hands of a Summoner. That carried me to Syldra, at which point the game was basically over, as anyone who's ever gotten Summoner can tell you. I was too lazy to pick up Phoenix and Odin, so my final summon list was Ifrit, Titan, Golem, Syldra, Leviathan, and Bahamut (with Ramuh sitting in my inventory). Neo Exdeath was a matter of spamming Syldra until pieces started dying (magic lamp what's that). Shinryu there was simple enough, using the Wonder Wand to Berserk him, then having two people on Golem duty while the other two spammed Syldra.

I probably won't do another upgrade run, but it wasn't too bad.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-17, 02:29 AM
It wasn't all that interesting! I had Red Mage up to Sandworm since that's when I picked up !Red 3 (I wasn't going for Dualcast), and then I got Berserker. For Sandworm. I immediately said "nope"...Good call, that.

...and went ahead and upgraded to my Fire job, Ninja. That carried me all the way to the start of World 3, where I did my last upgrade, to Summoner. Unfortunately, I hadn't picked up Catoblepas or Carbuncle; my only summons at the time were Ifrit, Titan, and Golem. Fortunately, I'd bought out a full complement of ninja scrolls to throw, and those things are powerful in the hands of a Summoner. That carried me to Syldra, at which point the game was basically over, as anyone who's ever gotten Summoner can tell you. I was too lazy to pick up Phoenix and Odin, so my final summon list was Ifrit, Titan, Golem, Syldra, Leviathan, and Bahamut (with Ramuh sitting in my inventory). Neo Exdeath was a matter of spamming Syldra until pieces started dying (magic lamp what's that). Shinryu there was simple enough, using the Wonder Wand to Berserk him, then having two people on Golem duty while the other two spammed Syldra.

I probably won't do another upgrade run, but it wasn't too bad.I haven't had summoner for a run, yet, but there are some tips I have picked up for it, other than putting !Throw or !Lance on them.

There's actually a chemist !Mix which will boost water damage, making Leviathan do more than Syldra.

While watching ihavenonameSDA (http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=ihnn1)'s stream I learned that Phoenix will restore full MP on a character it revives, so if you have !Summon on someone else who isn't out of MP, just kill the character and summon Phoenix.

There was someone else on Twitter who did a lowest level run during the off-season, during which !Call was an important part of their strategy. They skipped learning specific summons to keep the list of possible effects limited to what they found useful.

aturtledoesbite
2016-06-17, 02:45 AM
There's actually a chemist !Mix which will boost water damage, making Leviathan do more than Syldra.

Something interesting about this; nothing else in the game boosts water damage; not even the Rune Chime or the Magus Rod.

Of course, it's moot anyway, because Chemists are stars, not supporting cast.

huttj509
2016-06-17, 08:05 AM
Congrats on Necrophobe. As for Break, I have had it land from Catoblepas in the Magic Lamp one time. Its probably going to be a matter of luck that your berserkers attack the same target: the one which casts Almagest.

iOS/Steam changes how berserkers attack. They always attack the "default" target (the one in front).

This is nice in terms of focus fire, and also avoids the "dummy" targets on the sandworm, but I ain't gonna be focusing middle piece of neo first unless I wanna keep dancing at it at the expense of getting grand cross down.

It does mean that I can try leaving the back piece up, and magic lamp odin it when I down the third piece to easily avoid the enrage mode. How bad is Delta Attack, anyway?

Edit: After doing some math, it looks like I need level 47 to get my dancer enough hp to survive amalgest. Iron Giants aren't cooperating with their non-immunity to death, so I'm just grinding in the "outside" part of the dimensional rift castle.

Marade
2016-06-17, 10:35 AM
http://imgur.com/a/fkZKT

I need a break now. Or some other classes.

Psyren
2016-06-17, 11:00 AM
Neat, FFV was my favorite due to the jobs system and ability to mix and match. I won't have time to play through this myself but will gladly follow interesting team comps.

aturtledoesbite
2016-06-17, 02:48 PM
Edit: After doing some math, it looks like I need level 47 to get my dancer enough hp to survive amalgest. Iron Giants aren't cooperating with their non-immunity to death, so I'm just grinding in the "outside" part of the dimensional rift castle.

I'm a little late, but giving Bartz the Dancer class only requires you to level to 45 (though it's iffy; might want to go to 46). And if you can't grind Iron Giants, I'd recommend grinding Landcrawlers in the desert near Phoenix Tower. At least there you can pop a cottage whenever you want.

Also Delta Attack is terrible for you it's basically an instant kill.

i, uh

i didn't know numbers could go that high

Marade
2016-06-18, 02:50 AM
So... I started a chaosno750 upgrade run and got Knight->Ninja->Ranger->.......BERSERKER!

To be honest I'll probably job fair this one, don't think it'll be much easier than a regular quadzerker run.

Ideas on what class to buy? Dancer maybe? Buying Ninja again feels cheap.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-18, 08:06 AM
Neat, FFV was my favorite due to the jobs system and ability to mix and match. I won't have time to play through this myself but will gladly follow interesting team comps.Check the "Players" page on the main site, you can take a look for interesting combinations, and that grass sprite next to some names means they've provided a link where they stream.

So... I started a chaosno750 upgrade run and got Knight->Ninja->Ranger->.......BERSERKER!

To be honest I'll probably job fair this one, don't think it'll be much easier than a regular quadzerker run.

Ideas on what class to buy? Dancer maybe? Buying Ninja again feels cheap.If you just want one replacement, Freelancer could get Cover/!Guard, dual-wield and !Rapid-Fire. I treated myself to Thief/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Freelancer one year, after my first Classic Jobs run.

My favorite run I tried in the off-season which someone else recommended was Thief/Red Mage/Berserker/Ninja. Not certain if Berserker was 2nd or 3rd, though.

Marade
2016-06-18, 08:09 AM
Yeah, since it's an #upgrade run they would all be freelancers though, and that would be pretty op with dual wield, rapid fire and all equipment available... I'll think about that!

KillingAScarab
2016-06-18, 08:17 AM
Yeah, since it's an #upgrade run they would all be freelancers though, and that would be pretty op with dual wield, rapid fire and all equipment available... I'll think about that!If you want, you could limit the equipment options with Mime, instead. It takes a long time before you can get to the underwater Walse Tower, though.

danzibr
2016-06-18, 08:23 AM

Nice!

The only thing I wish were different about V is getting a slight bonus to Freelancer for each class mastered rather than the highest.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-18, 08:41 AM
Nice!

The only thing I wish were different about V is getting a slight bonus to Freelancer for each class mastered rather than the highest.While it can't be used for the Fiesta, there is a ROM hack for the GBA version called "Custom Classes" which makes each command you put on a character's battle menu give a bonus to certain stats. Duplicate commands also count, so a Freelancer with Items in only one slot would get a smaller Agility bonus than one with Items in two slots. The jobs are also unlocked in a different order and they use different equipment. Shops have different inventory, too. I never got far enough in to find how it handles mastery.

Marade
2016-06-18, 08:43 AM
If you want, you could limit the equipment options with Mime, instead. It takes a long time before you can get to the underwater Walse Tower, though.

Yeah, I chose the not-so-very-OP-but-not-in-need-of-grind path now and went with samurai. Didn't have many runs with samurai last year!

KillingAScarab
2016-06-18, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I chose the not-so-very-OP-but-not-in-need-of-grind path now and went with samurai. Didn't have many runs with samurai last year!I also realized you said no750, while Mime is kinda geared toward casters, even if you never broke rods. Of the two earth crystal choices, Samurai is certainly the more attractive job. Haven't used it in a Fiesta, yet.

aturtledoesbite
2016-06-18, 11:15 AM
Samurai are crazy good. Their legendary weapon, Masamune, lets you start all battles with a full ATB gauge, and if you pair that with !Smoke, you only ever fight the battles you want to fight. Beyond that, you've got !Zeninage (Gil Toss) which does absurd amounts of damage to things with low defense, though it does cost money (if you find you're running low, hunt down Movers in the Void, on the same screen as Necrophobe). !Iainuki, or !Slash, is basically Odin's Zantetsuken, except it can potentially miss (it can even theoretically kill the magic-using part of Neo Exdeath, but I've never had any luck there thanks to levels and magic evade); it's got better accuracy than you'd think, though! !Mineuchi, or !SwdSlap, doesn't do what it claims to do at all; what it does is let you physically attack without breaking Sleep or Confusion on the target. You can't trigger weapon spells, such as the Wind Slash's Wind Slash, through this either. (If you're wondering how this helps, you've got Equip Swords and the Sleep Blade, or even just the Dancing Dagger with Tempting Tango.) And finally, while I don't know for sure if Samurai get this intrinsically or not, there's the...I forget the GBA translation's name, but the RPGe translation calls it Evade, passive that's basically like having a Main Gauche equipped all of the time; which stacks with the Main Gauche and Elven Mantle, for a total 62.5% chance of nullifying any given physical attack.

That's all I've got on Samurai at the moment; try !Iainuki sometimes, it works on more than you'd think!

KillingAScarab
2016-06-18, 11:49 AM
Samurai are crazy good. Their legendary weapon, Masamune, lets you start all battles with a full ATB gauge, and if you pair that with !Smoke, you only ever fight the battles you want to fight. Beyond that, you've got !Zeninage (Gil Toss) which does absurd amounts of damage to things with low defense, though it does cost money (if you find you're running low, hunt down Movers in the Void, on the same screen as Necrophobe). !Iainuki, or !Slash, is basically Odin's Zantetsuken, except it can potentially miss (it can even theoretically kill the magic-using part of Neo Exdeath, but I've never had any luck there thanks to levels and magic evade); it's got better accuracy than you'd think, though! !Mineuchi, or !SwdSlap, doesn't do what it claims to do at all; what it does is let you physically attack without breaking Sleep or Confusion on the target. You can't trigger weapon spells, such as the Wind Slash's Wind Slash, through this either. (If you're wondering how this helps, you've got Equip Swords and the Sleep Blade, or even just the Dancing Dagger with Tempting Tango.) And finally, while I don't know for sure if Samurai get this intrinsically or not, there's the...I forget the GBA translation's name, but the RPGe translation calls it Evade, passive that's basically like having a Main Gauche equipped all of the time; which stacks with the Main Gauche and Elven Mantle, for a total 62.5% chance of nullifying any given physical attack.

That's all I've got on Samurai at the moment; try !Iainuki sometimes, it works on more than you'd think!Shirahadori is the Advance port name of the passive ability.

The one thing I wish !Ianuki worked on is that bird in the Island Shrine.

aturtledoesbite
2016-06-18, 12:25 PM
The one thing I wish !Ianuki worked on is that bird in the Island Shrine.

Fortunately, !Smoke works on it just fine. :P

huttj509
2016-06-19, 08:06 PM
My brother got his 4th job (he had a visit to the folks and a Sandworm to get through). Chaos no750 gave him 3 berserkers and dragoon.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-19, 09:16 PM
My brother got his 4th job (he had a visit to the folks and a Sandworm to get through). Chaos no750 gave him 3 berserkers and dragoon.At least this means the three party members left behind during a jump should be fairly sturdy. I guess your brother can also drain MP.

huttj509
2016-06-21, 09:15 AM
Urgh. I really really like FFV, but Ned is just being a freaking wall to me.

Level 46, RDM, DAN, BER, BER. Everyone has all 3 jobs mastered.

I can survive Amalgest now, but don't have the aoe healing to recover for grand cross.

It takes me about an hour to gain 5 levels (Steam version doesn't have fast forward).

At least my berserkers focus fire on the Grand Cross portion first (Steam).

Dancer is easily doing 9999 with chicken knife.

Musing over weapon shuffle possibilities: If I give my dancer a man eater, and one of my berserkers the chicken knife, might significantly increase the Ber damage at the cost of 25% missrate when he tries to flee.

Dancer with Equip Axes and the rune axe could be interesting, but I'd lose the dancer's red magic options.

Dan Ch Kn 9999 Avg 5000/round
Dan Man E 5000 (~6000 on tree form...guess that one's human) Avg 2500/round
Dan Ass Dag 4200 Avg 2100/round

Ber Ch Kn 4100, 25% chance doing nothing, Avg 3000/round
Ber Rune Axe (with !red for magic) 3000-4000
Ber Th Ham 2500
Ber Man E 2500

So let's see...Dan Ch K, Ber Rune Axe, Ber Thor Ham (for back row), totals me ~11000 damage per round.

Switching to Dan Man E, Ber Rune Axe, Ber Ch K gets me ~11,500 per round, at the cost of taking the Thor berserker out of the back row.

Nooooot enough diff for the swapround to really make a difference.

Accessories...I prob. wanna stick with Hermes Sandals for haste across the board. Though the anti-zombie rings could be...nice...

Urgh, I just hate when I hit a Ned wall. It feels like my only option is to grind out more levels.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-21, 10:10 AM
At least my berserkers focus fire on the Grand Cross portion first (Steam).Are you able to take out that part, at least? What do they move onto after?

Musing over weapon shuffle possibilities: If I give my dancer a man eater, and one of my berserkers the chicken knife, might significantly increase the Ber damage at the cost of 25% missrate when he tries to flee.Would anything be gained by having a berserker equip the dancing dagger? As for what else your Red Mage can do... I had a party of three in my first Classic Jobs run. I used so many elixirs, since I had !Doublecast, but Staff of Light breaks for holy and breaking rods for -ga spells was also part of that fight. I had specifically farmed Staff of Light in Ghido's cave, though. It seems I didn't actually use all of my rods, but I know I finished that run by using !Kick on the last two parts once their HP was low enough.

Accessories...I prob. wanna stick with Hermes Sandals for haste across the board. Though the anti-zombie rings could be...nice...Angel rings are OK for the boost to magic defense, but if you can already survive Almagest, Hermes sandals seem essential for the fight to me. Especially since they grant immunity to stop, slow and paralysis, which a ribbon doesn't cover. I also seem to recall some weird turn orders the one time I had a berserker without Hermes sandals in that fight, but I play the GBA port.

aturtledoesbite
2016-06-21, 11:19 AM
With Hermes Sandals, you should be able to kill Grand Cross before it can get one off. After that, the berserkers move on to Almagest; at this point, it's probably best for the red mage to start dualcasting Cura to keep everyone's HP up. Aside from that, Almagest should fall before it gets off a second one. Then it's just a matter of plonking away at physical, and pulling out Odin from the Lamp once magical's alone.

huttj509
2016-06-21, 12:50 PM
Success!

Not what really made the difference, but stuff worked.

Berserker with dancing dagger and red dress was getting a lot of sword dances (was trying a run to just see how dancing dagger did, and that was my success run).
Dancer was getting a lot of sword dances
Red mage used wonder wand to blink herself, and then shell herself. Broke one thunder rod but mostly doublecast curas as needed (and mini after grand cross)
Berserker 2 did damage with rune axe.

Something was hinky though.

Kill order was Top, Front, Middle, and Back (well, I lamped the back shortly before mid died).

I never saw Delta Attack, Amalgest stopped early, and I was getting grand crosses until the end of the fight. I thought is Grand Cross and middle is Amalgest, did they change that for iOS and Steam? Felt like for me top was Delta Attack, Front was Amalgest, and mid was Grand Cross...

balperi
2016-06-21, 01:21 PM
subscribed to this thread, this seems like a very interesting thread

aturtledoesbite
2016-06-21, 01:46 PM
Something was hinky though.

Kill order was Top, Front, Middle, and Back (well, I lamped the back shortly before mid died).

I never saw Delta Attack, Amalgest stopped early, and I was getting grand crosses until the end of the fight. I thought is Grand Cross and middle is Amalgest, did they change that for iOS and Steam? Felt like for me top was Delta Attack, Front was Amalgest, and mid was Grand Cross...

Hmm. I haven't heard anything like that, but it's possible.

This is how they're laid out on GBA/SNES. (http://i.imgur.com/FphWf.gif)

huttj509
2016-06-21, 02:39 PM
Hmm. I haven't heard anything like that, but it's possible.

This is how they're laid out on GBA/SNES. (http://i.imgur.com/FphWf.gif)

ok, ios it's the same. I was thrown by terms used, and where the "enemy here" markers are on ios.

I was calling front top (because it was the highest dot up), top middle (because it was a little lower than that indicated in your image), and middle front (because the indicator dot was on the front side of Ned).

KillingAScarab
2016-06-23, 10:07 AM
Wow, I wasn't expecting the dancing dagger to help that much. Neat!

So, who else is excited about Eric Koziol's Patreon to expand the Fiesta (https://www.patreon.com/revenantkioku?ty=h)?

danzibr
2016-06-23, 08:00 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting the dancing dagger to help that much. Neat!

So, who else is excited about Eric Koziol's Patreon to expand the Fiesta (https://www.patreon.com/revenantkioku?ty=h)?
Oh... he makes games, huh?

I was thinking about making an RPG. I made a couple games in GameMaker: Studio. Wanted to try my hand at an RPG. Probably take me like 2 years to get out a demo, but hey, would be fun.

huttj509
2016-06-24, 09:44 AM
Hmmm, heading up against the flying temple guns, and my jobs are 3 Mystic Knights and a Berserker (my other jobs are dragoon and geomancer, but geo's my earth job, yay chaos).

Is there somewhere I can buy Hi potions in world 1?

aturtledoesbite
2016-06-24, 12:01 PM
Hmmm, heading up against the flying temple guns, and my jobs are 3 Mystic Knights and a Berserker (my other jobs are dragoon and geomancer, but geo's my earth job, yay chaos).

Is there somewhere I can buy Hi potions in world 1?

Nope! You shouldn't need them, though. Thundara Blade -> Win.

huttj509
2016-06-24, 03:32 PM
Managed to get the earth crystal, and now I have the dragoon, and the *Geomancer.*

"Hmmm, not familiar with geo, let's see how he does on titan...

Cave In - bout 7000 damage total, dead Titan.

"well then...hugging geomancer, brb."

In iOS and Steam, Geomancer doesn't have the character level limit on what geomancies can be gotten. Full range, all the time.

danzibr
2016-06-24, 04:32 PM
In iOS and Steam, Geomancer doesn't have the character level limit on what geomancies can be gotten. Full range, all the time.
Oooh, that's good to know. Serious early-game potential.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-24, 09:40 PM
I haven't pledged to the Patreon just yet, but I most likely will. Moving away from Twitter could be kinda weird, but site improvements to help explain all the registration options have been needed for some time, I think.

So, #RegPureChaos (http://blog.fourjobfiesta.com/post/146331392688/you-asked-so-here-we-go-regpurechaos#_=_) is a thing, now. If it didn't already exist, I would say make #RegPureChaos the one which can give duplicates and #RegChaos the one which cannot.

Managed to get the earth crystal, and now I have the dragoon, and the *Geomancer.*

"Hmmm, not familiar with geo, let's see how he does on titan...

Cave In - bout 7000 damage total, dead Titan.

"well then...hugging geomancer, brb."

In iOS and Steam, Geomancer doesn't have the character level limit on what geomancies can be gotten. Full range, all the time.On the one hand, I think the current level cap on effects in older versions made some of the more powerful ones more likely to occur later. On the other, I have played the DS release of FF3 and geomancer is possibly the most unbalanced job in that game even without getting the ultra-rare black hole attack, it is so fun.

You will not like !Gaia in boss fights where the only attack it has is one with an element the boss absorbs, though. Soul Cannon is one such fight. Knives against Soul Cannon is not fun (https://twitter.com/ZandockCOH/status/745572193887649792), even if it is doable.

huttj509
2016-06-26, 10:11 PM
Run 2 complete!

Things learned:

a) Farming the Dragon Lance from Crystal Dragons with the thief knife was a pain, but omg it tore through the grand cross part of Ned (7500 damage per jump).

b) Equip Lances on my berserker let her use the Holy Lance, which was good damage (~2500 compared to Giant Axe ~3000), and more accurate, with less damage variance.

c) Geomancy in iOS/Steam version absolutely stomps the pyramid and lake Istory. Cave Ins everywhere.

d) !spellblade is really really stronk. Flareing Jumped Chicken Knife was doing 5500 per jump. Plus, you know, easy application of Break to amalgest portion of Ned (my geomancer took a break from healbotting to poke it when Ned showed up, having pre-prepped Break sword during treeform).

Next up: #regPureChaos

KillingAScarab
2016-06-27, 10:55 PM
Run 2 complete!

Things learned:

a) Farming the Dragon Lance from Crystal Dragons with the thief knife was a pain, but omg it tore through the grand cross part of Ned (7500 damage per jump).

b) Equip Lances on my berserker let her use the Holy Lance, which was good damage (~2500 compared to Giant Axe ~3000), and more accurate, with less damage variance.

c) Geomancy in iOS/Steam version absolutely stomps the pyramid and lake Istory. Cave Ins everywhere.

d) !spellblade is really really stronk. Flareing Jumped Chicken Knife was doing 5500 per jump. Plus, you know, easy application of Break to amalgest portion of Ned (my geomancer took a break from healbotting to poke it when Ned showed up, having pre-prepped Break sword during treeform).

Next up: #regPureChaosIf you had to, you could potentially jump over Almagest, too. I tried this as part of a low-level run through Final Fantasy IV, but my jump timing against Zeromus was wrong too often and I eventually gave up.

Well... back to farming reflect rings for me.

huttj509
2016-06-28, 12:00 AM
Just some musings on something I think FFV got right:

something in ff 5 I think is really clever, is they let you get the "woo open exploration" available really early, while still limiting your movement.

Drake: no mountains, can't land in forest.
Ship: Can't get to landlocked places or inland seas
Black Chocobo: Land in forest only
Airship: "wheee," but short time, and still no forest.
Submarine: Still no landlocked areas

Then you get to world 3, and while the airship makes things very open, there's still places you need the black or yellow chocobos. Yellow's mostly just the lamp though, due to river navigation.

It's a really clever way of hitting the "open world" joy, while not having the "oops, too high level, don't go there yet" issue. Or the "there's no real feel of gameflow" issue.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-28, 02:36 AM

something in ff 5 I think is really clever, is they let you get the "woo open exploration" available really early, while still limiting your movement.
Ship: Can't get to landlocked places or inland seasTechnically, you start in the inner sea, similar to in FF1. They decided to omit water encounters, with one story-based exception. Fine by me, as I think Karlabos introduces paralysis better than strange random floating eyeballs do (though, white serpents could Entangle if you let them).

Multiple vehicles to control access had been in since FF1, but each game had different ways to handle this. In FF3 you had so many different airships, and it's a bit weird that you just get rid of your first one in the first hour or so of the game. Boko is the closest to that in FF5, but if you're curious about what happened to Boko, you are rewarded. Hiryu and Syldra get the short end of the redundancy stick, but at least they become summons.

Then you get to world 3, and while the airship makes things very open, there's still places you need the black or yellow chocobos. Yellow's mostly just the lamp though, due to river navigation.

It's a really clever way of hitting the "open world" joy, while not having the "oops, too high level, don't go there yet" issue. Or the "there's no real feel of gameflow" issue.There's not much of a "Peninsula of Power," unless you count Prototype on the islands in World 1. Prototype is a puzzle you can solve when you understand Beastmaster.

Edit: Actually, the Library of the Ancients is a place where you can be the wrong level but not in the traditional manner. Level 5 Death is a rude way to start that place.

danzibr
2016-06-28, 12:14 PM

Drake: no mountains, can't land in forest.
Ship: Can't get to landlocked places or inland seas
Black Chocobo: Land in forest only
Airship: "wheee," but short time, and still no forest.
Submarine: Still no landlocked areas

It's a really clever way of hitting the "open world" joy, while not having the "oops, too high level, don't go there yet" issue. Or the "there's no real feel of gameflow" issue.
I had the same thought! I like how the movement stuff progressed, then you switch worlds and lose it. Made the game fast-paced.

KillingAScarab
2016-06-29, 10:02 AM
I love the Power GloveBrave Blade. It's so bad.

Particularly, the part where you might think you need to carefully plan how to fight Melusine. Then you just walk in and do damage even in the forms where it has 90 defense.

Then Bartz does his silly impression of Superman: The Movie. *sigh* Just because Cid put a nonsensical rock in the airship...
...and your father's from another world...
...doesn't mean you can turn back time by flying very fast.

KillingAScarab
2016-07-08, 08:59 AM
I'm posting partially to bump this but also because I just watched one of the best comebacks against Neo Exdeath I have seen in a Four Job Fiesta run. For those who would like to watch it for themselves, check out Valvadrix (https://www.twitch.tv/valvadrix/profile/past_broadcasts) last 6 or so past broadcasts (connection was a bit choppy).

The run is a natural crystals run with Thief, Red Mage, Ranger, Chemist and the party levels are mid-to-high 30s. Steam port of the Android/iOS version. There was some coaching from the chat, but there were only, like, four people there. So, eventually Valvadrix gets an attempt on Exdeath starting with Life Shield to make recovering from White Hole less cumbersome. Gets plenty of Dragon Power set, and Protect Potion before Neo Exdeath shows up. But, something odd happened to the mixed Goliath Tonic. The Red Mage ended against Exdeath with current HP still doubled, but max went down to normal (~1050). After an Almagest and Vacuum Wave took out the Ranger, a Grand Cross left the Red Mage paralyzed with HP leak, the Thief was berserk and the Chemist was a zombie. Once the Red Mage was down, it looked like it was over.

But! Chemist had heal staff equipped. Thief ended up chicken knifing Vacuum until it died while an invincible Chemist healed. Until a Dispel got rid of Berserk. Valvadrix ended up reviving the Ranger first, use the Magic Lamp to Zantetsuken against Human, then getting the party back to good status in time to survive an Almagest and take out the last two parts.

It was not an optimally played fight, but it was so entertaining.