PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spell Balance Check: Shrink Object

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-11, 10:26 AM
Hey guys, something just came up in a game, and I may need a spell to shrink objects down by several size categories. I had a look around, and Enlarge/Reduce can take them down by one step, but I need more! Looking back to 3rd edition, there seems to have been a 'Shrink Item' spell that does pretty much that. It was 3rd-level and was fixed at 4 steps (which happens to be the number I need), but I thought I might brew something that was applicable to more usage cases. The only thing I'm not sure about is the level. What do y'all think?

Shrink Object
1st-level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 day

You touch an object that is not being worn or carried and cause it to grow smaller for the duration. The target’s size is halved in all dimensions, and its weight is reduced to one-eighth of normal. This reduction decreases its size by one category - from Medium to Small, for example - unless it would still be Gargantuan after the shrinking. If the target is or contains a weapon, attacks with it deal 1d4 less damage (this can’t reduce the damage below 0).
This spell can affect an assembly or collection of objects, as long as they form a single conceptual entity, such as a ship or building.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the object’s dimensions are halved, its weight divided by 8 and its damage reduced by 1d4 again for each slot level above 1st. Thus, when cast at 4th level, the object is reduced to 1/16th of its original length and 1/4,096th of its original weight. Any weapons it mounts deal 4d4 less damage than normal.

Final Hyena
2016-06-11, 10:50 AM
I have the mental image of you using it on a giants hammers and he's just swinging this thing that he has to hold with finger and thumb, and is still murdering people with it.
XD

You might expect such a spell to reduce reach down to the creatures minimum.

If you did this on armour wouldn't you end up killing the wearer?

It might be easier to have a spell that shrinks down objects much more effectively for the spell level, but can't affect objects in others possession.

Is the intent to make a utility spell or a combat spell?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-11, 11:01 AM
It might be easier to have a spell that shrinks down objects much more effectively for the spell level, but can't affect objects in others possession.

Is the intent to make a utility spell or a combat spell?

I agree with this change. It shouldn't work on objects worn or carried. Though shrinking a giant's hammer as he swings it is a hilarious!

The intent is as a utility spell - I have a situation where an NPC wizard is offering a portage service to lift boats up a waterfall. Or, well, the wizard is long dead, but if the players search his tower, they could find his spellbook/scrolls.

I considered a souped-up Telekinesis or Reverse Gravity spell, but shrinking the boats seems to be a much lower-level way of doing it. Which is good, because my PCs are level 3.

Edit: change is made.

Final Hyena
2016-06-11, 11:19 AM
With regards to the very specific situation you want, is reducing the PCs ships size by 1/4 and weight by 1/16 enough?

My knowledge of boat weight is very much lacking. Just thought I'lld make sure.

Also with regards to

I considered a souped-up Telekinesis or Reverse Gravity spell, but shrinking the boats seems to be a much lower-level way of doing it. Which is good, because my PCs are level 3.
There is always the option to have such an ability have a long casting time, require concentration and require continued action to maintain.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-11, 11:26 AM
With regards to the very specific situation you want, is reducing the PCs ships size by 1/4 and weight by 1/16 enough?

My knowledge of boat weight is very much lacking. Just thought I'lld make sure.

Oh no, they're not going to be keeping their current boat. It's a 100-foot long, 500,000-pound war galley of epic awesomeness that they were borrowing for a few days (by my reckoning, Shrink Object IV is needed to make it man-portable). But the portage-wizard existed in the setting's official lore before, and the party includes two pixies (one of which is a utility-wizard), so I thought a general-purpose shrinking spell would be useful going forward.

I mean, the wizard's tower is totally optional and they may not even find out that it exists (unless they read this thread, I guess :smallannoyed:), but I want to be prepared. And I like brewing spells. :smallwink:

Final Hyena
2016-06-11, 12:06 PM
Perhaps a painting of the deceased wizard in question, casting a spell on a giant whose hammer changes to a super mini version.

Maybe even a second painting of him being held up by townsfolk holding the miniature hammer high.

Edit; I'm not saying that the PCs could find a hidden hammer that is the size of a scalpel with super powers or anything.....

Ninja_Prawn
2016-06-11, 12:14 PM
Edit; I'm not saying that the PCs could find a hidden hammer that is the size of a scalpel with super powers or anything.....

Hah. Good thing the duration is not 'permanent until dispelled'!

Final Hyena
2016-06-11, 12:25 PM
No reason the dead wizard couldn't have had his own shape changing school which had abilities meaning they're not in his spellbook and lost now that he's passed.

The hammer totally shouldn't have the voice of the giant, but really really quiet and squeaky. No not at all!