PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Lifesense vs Mirror Image

killem2
2016-06-11, 02:17 PM
Can a wraith bypass mirror image?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-11, 02:24 PM
Mirror image looks like you do; Lifesense causes you to see light from living creatures; shedding light is a part of your looks; ergo your mirror image sheds light just as you do.

The light noticed by Lifesense isn't actual light; ergo it is not part of your looks; ergo mirror image does not duplicate it; ergo a wraith with Lifesense can bypass it.

tl;dr Ask your DM.

Lord Vukodlak
2016-06-11, 02:29 PM
Yes it bypasses mirror image, lifesense is just a more limited version of blindsight.

Mato
2016-06-11, 02:35 PM
Devil's advociate rebuttals over the definition of what is or isn't part of someone's looks aside because I'm sure you want an answer and not another GitP thread about shower thoughts and existential crises.

Figments are not a living creature (for example, no noted constitution score) so to lifesense a figment does not emit light and it's as simple as that.

killem2
2016-06-12, 12:17 PM
Thanks everyone!

I am the DM. I was playing a small mini battle where the players got to play wraiths and I was playing the would-be-intruders with mirror image. I ruled at that time lifesense didn't bypass it but our general rule has always been side with the playground so that's what we will be doing from now on.

Jack_Simth
2016-06-12, 02:35 PM
Let's see... you're looking at the Lifesense ability of the Dread Wraith (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wraith.htm), rather than the feat called Lifesense from Libris Mortis, correct?

If so... yeah, that's essentially Blindsight, and no, Mirror Image really shouldn't help.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-06-12, 04:00 PM
Let's see... you're looking at the Lifesense ability of the Dread Wraith (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wraith.htm), rather than the feat called Lifesense from Libris Mortis, correct?

If so... yeah, that's essentially Blindsight, and no, Mirror Image really shouldn't help.
Ah, right, then I retract my previous statement re:Lifesense and living creatures glowing. My mistake.

killem2
2016-06-12, 05:07 PM
Correct all, this is for pathfinder. Wish we could have multiple tags.