PDA

View Full Version : Countering Daylight Spells

Sabrae Dyrr
2016-06-11, 10:43 PM
I've recently started playing D&D for the first time, and with some help from my DM, have designed a character that seems fairly fun, focused on using the shadow creature template combined with the drow darkness ability to get lots of stealth damage in. My concern though is that in the presence of a daylight spell, I'm basically a fighter with a smaller hit die and no bonus feats. So I'm curious, is there any good way to deal with daylight spells?

Gildedragon
2016-06-11, 10:47 PM
smoke grenades

Troacctid
2016-06-11, 10:48 PM
Take the Intensify Darkness feat. It allows you to use your darkness spell-like ability to cast deeper darkness instead. Not only does it last for 1 day/level instead of 10 minutes/level (so it's always active), it also cancels out any daylight effect within its radius.

Jack_Simth
2016-06-11, 10:50 PM
I've recently started playing D&D for the first time, and with some help from my DM, have designed a character that seems fairly fun, focused on using the shadow creature template combined with the drow darkness ability to get lots of stealth damage in. My concern though is that in the presence of a daylight spell, I'm basically a fighter with a smaller hit die and no bonus feats. So I'm curious, is there any good way to deal with daylight spells?

Generally speaking, the counter to magic is "more magic". Scrolls of heightened Deeper Darkness + UMD are liable to do the job, although they are somewhat pricey after a point.

InvisibleBison
2016-06-11, 10:51 PM
Darkness spells generally counteract light spells. If you're worried about daylight in particular, deeper darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/deeperDarkness.htm) is your friend. It's got a fairly long duration, so simply casting it (or having an ally cast it) on yourself or some of your gear every so often may suffice. Depending on your wealth, you may be be able to get it in item form instead.

Edit - Swordsaged!