PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for Tips & Tricks for an Illusiionist Wizard

Discord
2016-06-11, 11:44 PM
So, in the distant future (not sure how distant) I will be playing an Illusionist Wizard.

The DM preferred rolled stats so here's what were playing with.

8 str, 18 dex, 10 con, 17 Int, 15 Wis, 9 Cha

Were starting out at level 3 and the spells I have are:

Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, Fire Bolt, Mold Earth, Mending

1st Level Spells: Disguise Self, Silent Image, Mage Armor, Ice Knife, Magic Missile, Find Familiar, Shield, Thunderwave

2nd Level Spells: Phantasmal Force, Scorching Ray

I'm playing a Noble High Elf as far as background / race goes.

Now that we got the character information out of the way.

For those of you who have played Illusionist before, what are some tips and tricks for a first time Illusionist? The DM is more for rule of cool all the time and has a firm understanding on what the Illusions can do. Playing an Illusionist takes a lot of thinking outside the box so I am looking for what other people have done while playing Illusionist characters.

SharkForce
2016-06-11, 11:56 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477658-Illusionist-Tricks

if you haven't seen it before.

DM rulings are required for some of those, of course.

edit: on a side note, the ability to remember things in perfect detail is great for an illusionist, so i recommend you pick up the keen mind feat.

Discord
2016-06-11, 11:59 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?477658-Illusionist-Tricks

if you haven't seen it before.

DM rulings are required for some of those, of course.

edit: on a side note, the ability to remember things in perfect detail is great for an illusionist, so i recommend you pick up the keen mind feat.

I actually am planning on picking it up at 4th level, we will be starting at 3rd. That way I can have an even 18 in the stat and get some other perks as well.

Celcey
2016-06-12, 04:22 PM
Out of curiosity, what race are you playing? Did you add your racial bonuses to your stats?

Discord
2016-06-12, 04:38 PM
Out of curiosity, what race are you playing? Did you add your racial bonuses to your stats?

I'm playing a High Elf, the stats presented are with racials.

Discord
2016-06-16, 02:52 PM
Update: The DM is letting each of us pick one uncommon magical item, any ideas? These are the one's I'd think would be the best.

Broom of Flying
Cloak of Elvenkind
Eyes of the Eagle
Goggles of Night
Hat of Disguise
Immovable Rod
Peral Of Power
Sending Stones
Wand of Magic Missiles
Wand of the War Mage
Weapon of Warning

MintyNinja
2016-06-16, 03:01 PM
Update: The DM is letting each of us pick one uncommon magical item, any ideas? These are the one's I'd think would be the best.

Broom of Flying
Cloak of Elvenkind
Eyes of the Eagle
Goggles of Night
Hat of Disguise
Immovable Rod
Peral Of Power
Sending Stones
Wand of Magic Missiles
Wand of the War Mage
Weapon of Warning

Cloak of Elvenkind goes nicely with that shiny Dexterity you got there. If you can, pick up Stealth in some way and then you have an escape plan always prepared. But also, imagine scouting ahead and finding the enemy encampment and then slowly introducing illusions to the scene until you've manipulated them into position just in time for your party to come charging out from the other side, slaughtering them all!

Discord
2016-06-17, 09:31 AM
Cloak of Elvenkind goes nicely with that shiny Dexterity you got there. If you can, pick up Stealth in some way and then you have an escape plan always prepared. But also, imagine scouting ahead and finding the enemy encampment and then slowly introducing illusions to the scene until you've manipulated them into position just in time for your party to come charging out from the other side, slaughtering them all!

I also like Bag of Tricks, just pull out three fluff balls, throw them into a camp site ambush "attack" hilarity ensues as it's just three goats.

Dalebert
2016-06-17, 10:36 AM
Bag of Tricks is a fun item. My bard lined his oversized tophat with one so it looks like he's pulling animals out of his hat. The description is vague though. Ask your DM how long they last. I personally decided to treat it like Conjure Animals and decided one hour. My DM decided they last until Dawn when the bag recharges. He decided to be a little strict about controlling them. They obey you as a bonus action but they act like animals otherwise, so I have to deal with the possibility they'll wander off if I'm not constantly using bonus actions to prevent it. That seems a little weird to me because it says they're friendly to you by default.

Discord
2016-06-17, 11:16 AM
Bag of Tricks is a fun item. My bard lined his oversized tophat with one so it looks like he's pulling animals out of his hat. The description is vague though. Ask your DM how long they last. I personally decided to treat it like Conjure Animals and decided one hour. My DM decided they last until Dawn when the bag recharges. He decided to be a little strict about controlling them. They obey you as a bonus action but they act like animals otherwise, so I have to deal with the possibility they'll wander off if I'm not constantly using bonus actions to prevent it. That seems a little weird to me because it says they're friendly to you by default.

Per the DMG Errata "The creature vanishes at the next dawn or when it is reduced to 0 hit points." That's what's in the new updated DMG's added to the item's last sentence.

Regitnui
2016-06-17, 12:40 PM
You'll have to be sharp OOC as well; expect to have to extrapolate from the DM descriptions. "The winter wind whistles through the warehouse" implies that the warehouse is either full of windows or rotten wood, and the contents of the warehouse might be useful to you, even though the DM may not mention them.

Discord
2016-06-17, 03:06 PM
You'll have to be sharp OOC as well; expect to have to extrapolate from the DM descriptions. "The winter wind whistles through the warehouse" implies that the warehouse is either full of windows or rotten wood, and the contents of the warehouse might be useful to you, even though the DM may not mention them.

At level 4, I'm considering either taking the Keen Mind feat or putting a +1 in my Int and Wis, they both have their perks, and none of the other feats will really fit the flavor of these character.