PDA

View Full Version : Wild Sorcerers and Magic Items (Ale McAleface is BORN)

R.Shackleford
2016-06-12, 03:15 PM
So the Wild Sorcerer apparently triggers wild magic when they cast from wands.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/06/12/wild-magic-sorcerer-uses-a-wand-of-magic-missiles-can-he-trigger-a-wild-magic-surge/

I'm assuming this goes for anytime they cast from a magic item.

So would there happen to be a magic item that lets you spam a spell? Even if it is low level and useless it would be interesting to see the potential silliness of a character with such a set up.

I'm looking in the DMG to see if anything catches my eye.

(Note: this is just for silly fun)

Edit

The Ring of Jumping
Cast "Jump" spell as a bonus action...

This is a character I would play in a whiskey and pretzels game.

Name: Ale McAleFace
Race: Mountain Dwarf (+2 Con/+2 Str)
Background: Soldier
Nickname: Cold Draft

Class: Sorcerer
Subclass: Wild Magic

Level: 4

Str: 14
Dex: 14 (+1 @ 4)
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Cha: 16 (+1 @ 4)

HP: 30
AC (Eventually): Breastplate 16
Trained Skills: Athletics, Insight, Deception, Intimidation

Melee/Thrown Weapon: Handaxe
Metamagic: Subtle and Twin

Cantrips
Frostbite
Ray Of Frost
Gust
Shape Water

Spells
Shield and Warding Wind...

Items
Ring of Jumping (BA cast "jump" on self)

Tactics: You only have to cast a spell, not have it take effect, to get wild magic going.

Each round I will use a cantrip to land an effect, use help action, or cast whatever spell I fancy at the time.

My bonus action, if I have no other use for it, will go to cast Jump.

Being surrounded by Warding Wind ain't bad as I have subtle spell.

This character would never remove the "Turned Blue" roll for wild magic.

Zalabim
2016-06-13, 01:32 AM
If you cast the Jump spell as a bonus action, you can't cast whatever other spell you want that turn. You could only cast a cantrip or take some other action. Other than that, it works fine.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-13, 08:21 AM
If you cast the Jump spell as a bonus action, you can't cast whatever other spell you want that turn. You could only cast a cantrip or take some other action. Other than that, it works fine.

I'm aware.

Which is why his tactics include using the help action

Of he used an action to cast a spell then I don't need the bonus action to cast Jump.

famousringo
2016-06-13, 04:57 PM
Whatever you do with your action, you'll want it to involve a d20 so you can apply Tides of Chaos and set up another surge, so Help probably isn't the best thing you could do.

R.Shackleford
2016-06-13, 08:59 PM
Whatever you do with your action, you'll want it to involve a d20 so you can apply Tides of Chaos and set up another surge, so Help probably isn't the best thing you could do.

Shove (Prone) is an Athletics check that can benefit from Tides of Chaos (4 + Adv). I will use that to help an ally gain advantage in their attacks.